141 replies to this topic

#1 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 01:44 PM

Okay, you Elder Scrolls fans... has anyone else picked up Oblivion? I shouldn't have, but I really couldn't resist :huh:

It's gorgeous, and the character creation is simply INSANE!!

I mean, you almost have to know anatomy just to make your character's face. I seriously spent at least three hours just playing around with character creation.

Gameplay-wise, it's sort of like Morrowind on steroids, but I don't really think that's necessarily a bad thing. Also, they've dumbed down alchemy, so you don't have to spend hours figuring out what ingredients you can put together to make a decent potion... basically, you choose an ingredient, and when you go to select your next ingredient, it only lists compatible ingredients... so it requires less intelligence, but is a whole lot less frustrating as well.

Anyway, I'm pleased and impressed, even though it is pretty much more of the same.
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#2 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 01:46 PM

i heard it sucks to tell you the truth.
i cant play it so it doesnt really matter but i heard that it was really buggy and not what was promised. as long as its fun who cares though i guess :huh:

like ive said i played daggerfall for days and days.... i doubt oblivion is that screwed up :P

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#3 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 02:07 PM

I don't tend to believe people who say things suck if they base it on, "It wasn't what's promised! Waa!"

For example, soooo many people said that Fable (aka Project Ego) was junk because it wasn't what was expected. And yeah, it wasn't. But so what? The game was fun and gorgeous.

I haven't noticed any bugginess myself... there's some slowdowns when wandering around the wilderness, which makes it a bit tough to kill stuff effectively, but that's because my video card (though not bad) is not up to par, and honestly, that's probably what people are calling "bugginess."

The worst thing I can say about it is that it's almost exactly like playing Morrowind, only in Cyrodiil, and with much better graphics and an updated menu system that takes a bit of getting used to.
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
doodoodoo!!!

#4 Dimsey

Dimsey

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 02:31 PM

I got the Xbox 360 version on the day of release here downunder. Great, great game.
Haven't really stopped playing it since I got it Thursday nearly, or perhaps just over two weeks ago.

My problems with it are minor. Levitate seems to be missing (?), whilst you don't need it I've came across several situations in which it'd be immencely helpful.
And though the physics engine dealy is a good addition in some parts, it makes organizing my home a pain in the rear. Stacking things how you want them is a chore and can take up considerable time! I spent hours in Morrowind arranging my collection of weapons, armor, alchemical ingrediants and various other trinkets I've picked up just the way I wanted them out of fun - in Oblivion I spend hours stacking things how I want them simply because if I get one thing put up I generally knock over another. Pain in the butt.

But those minor things aside, the games great.
Currently playing
Mercs 2 (360), Spore (PC)

#5 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 03:19 PM

I own it, but won't be able to play it until my new PC arrives after my gpu died the other week :P

I've been sticking my fingers in my ears and going "lalalala!" in an effort ot avoid spoilers :huh:
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#6 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 04:02 PM

Well, I got the CE from pre-order. Seriously, as I tell everyone, the game might not be perfect, but it's still an incredible masterpiece.

It's the people who don't like it, many new to the series who just discover they donīt like this kind of game or old fans expecting a new Daggerfall and finding the world continues to turn which are the most vocal and tend to shout it sucks. The great majority is just playing the game and wondering whether they're fools to like the game :roflol:

But I actually did notice some bugginess... Quite a lot, actually... Worse then I had with Morrowind. Still, others have played for hundreds of hours and havenīt add a single crash :huh:

The worst thing I can say about it is that it's almost exactly like playing Morrowind, only in Cyrodiil, and with much better graphics and an updated menu system that takes a bit of getting used to.
Actually, I canīt agree with that. I was surprised at how different the game was... Only the core systems (like levelling and skill increase) have remained the same, the rest is completely different. Even the way the landscape is structured is impossible to compare. Vvardenfell was laid out in a manner to maximize it's size, where Cyrodiil has a much more natural build.

And the menu doesnīt feel īupdatedī. I really didnīt mind at first, but itīs starting to become a real pain to navigate :P

Wonderfull sig and avvie by Taikara :D

#7 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 04:08 PM

It seriously looks like a sweet game that I just gotta have, curse my crappy pc and no chance I'm picking up an x-box 360 to play it either, but one day so I'm doing like Beef too and ignoring all the spoilers, even though it's so tempting... :huh:

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#8 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 05:13 PM

@Dimsey: I love that you can trip over stuff and scatter it all over the place with your big klutzy feet, it's so realistic :huh:

But yeah, it's definitely a pain if you're actually trying to stack stuff...

@Doubler: What kind of bugginess, and do you have the XBox360 or PC CE?

The way the faction system and quest completion works is pretty much the same as Morrowind, too. Only, there's a whole lot less factions to get quests from this time around... I do like the addition of the "spying" quests, though it can get a bit tedious to follow people around til they get to where you need them to be to finish the quests.

Let's see... Disposition works differently since they added that minigame that gets old real quick, but it's still the same basic idea, just that you have more control over the outcome of your attempts.

The optional lockpicking minigame is cool, too (especially since it's optional), but again, same basic concept.

I really like being able to buy houses in cities rather than having to work my way through the faction system to get a villa in my House's territory that's in the middle of nowhere.

Overall, there are little differences, but to me, it has the same feel... wander around in a big immersive world, kill stuff, get goodies, do quests, talk to people, save the world from imminent evil in your own sweet time :P
doodoodoo!!!

#9 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 05:18 PM

I'm not able to play it, so I started Morrowind again instead :'(

And Doubler there's a mod for the menu available, that makes it look like the Morrowind one...

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#10 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 07:02 PM

@Tai:
PC, of course :huh:

The bugginess involves frequent crashes to desktop. It's annoying, but no more then that thanks to the remarkebly short loading times the game has.

The factions are quite a bit different from the Morrowind ones, imho. Progress goes much faster, and is less (Well, not at all, actually) related to abilities. Also progress through factions is a lot more linear then it was in Morrowind, and the actual reward for completing quests feels different... Also let's not forget there are much larger moral differences between factions this time around.
The same concept, but radically different the way I see it.

For the rest you said what I did. The core systems are the same, but they are implemented and work in a very, very different way from Morrowind. You still use lockpicks largely by chance, but the way that chance works, and the way locks work has been completely revamped. Disposition still pretty much works the same, but itīs one of the few mechanics that's largely unchanged as I see it.

@The great red Lemur:
I know, but I'm too lazy to download it at the moment. :P
Seriously, I like to get a good feel for the vanilla game before I start to mod it.

#11 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 07:57 PM

what kind of video card are you running?

I'm thinking of upgrading mine just so I can experience the full graphic awesomeness... currently, I don't get to see any of the benefits of the antialiasing modes and shading effects, sniff.

...well, actually, I can, but not if I actually want to play the game, as it runs slower than a one-toed sloth with all the bells and whistles on :P

Anyway, I'm looking at a PowerColor ATI Radeon x1600 Pro w/ 256 MB... I'd prefer the "equivalent" Nvidia GeForce 6800, but the Nvidia line is so much more expensive than ATI, and I can't really afford a top card or overly expensive midrange card at the moment. Reviews on the x1600 chipsets are kind of mixed, but the PowerColor produced card gets excellent remarks for performance, as well as having a decent native cooling system (other ATI partners, such as Sapphire, skimped on their cooling and though the cards are cheaper, are prone to overheating, bleh... and on the other end of the spectrum, the HIS card has a jacked up cooling system that won't even fit in my machine hehe).

*stops babbling*  :huh:
doodoodoo!!!

#12 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 08:03 PM

I use an 6800 LE, which works very well on high settings. It only tends to lag in the Gold Coast region (for no apparant reason).

Oh, and you do know you can't use antialiasing and HDR at the same time, right? :huh:

#13 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 08:15 PM

Supposedly you can with the ATI Radeon x1k line of cards, but I don't have one yet, so I couldn't tell you the successfulness of attempting :huh:

http://www.ati.com/p...agequality.html
doodoodoo!!!

#14 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 08:15 PM

I'd pick HDR over AA any day - it's damn sexy in Source. If you've the inclination, check out the Lost Coast HL2 tech demo on Steam - it's beautiful (and even comes with its own developers' commentary, strangely enough).

You're not wrong about Sapphire skimping on cooling - my X800XT was one of theirs. Nice performance but it died a death rather too soon for my liking (a bit under 2 years :huh:). The 9250 I bought to replace it (as a stopgap) definitely isn't enough to run Oblivion. I'm switching to nvidia for my new one on the grounds that the 7900GTX is the current top-of-the-line (until the next lot of ATis come out later this year) and with a view to eventually bunging another one in for some SLI goodness.

Wandering off topic a bit, here...
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#15 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 09:15 PM

Supposedly you can with the ATI Radeon x1k line of cards, but I don't have one yet, so I couldn't tell you the successfulness of attempting
Yes, that card can do HDR and AA simultaneously. However, the PC Oblivion engine can't, and so it'll make no difference.
Heh, I'm not at all technical, but this has been confirmed. At the moment it's an engine limitation.

Reply to this topic