93 replies to this topic

#46 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:08 PM

One thing that I've noticed is that your art style is very similair to that of Chris Metzen from Blizzard, he's one of their main artists on most of their games.

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#47 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:11 PM

id still want the cash :P

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#48 Sean

Sean

Just call me Mr. Magic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1265 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:32 PM

If you really want a challenge you should try to sell copies of my work!

*Sniggers*
Me>You

#49 Japofran

Japofran

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:51 PM

Of course, you could very well be selling you stuff. As for the other guy I was giving my opinion about the quality of his work, not about the ethical implications of the whole thing. That is, what he made "out of" your work, not "with" it. I still like yours better, it does a great work of bringing what it represents to my mind, while the other interpretation looks kind of cartoonish to me and doesn't make me think of a real warzone.
..oO Mustached Crusader of the PEEKOCKSWOOZZLE Order Oo..
"STFU and show me your screenies!!"

#50 michael_gry

michael_gry

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 11:56 PM

well, I agree with Tai to a certain extent.  He certainly re interpreted it in his own fashion.  I suppose the thing that p***ed me off the most was the fact that I entered a CONTEST and should have gotten some credit for it after he re-did it.  I talked with my superiors and I told them that I didn't care about the money.  I just wanted a little credit for the original drawing, maybe in a footnote on the original which is hanging in the 1ID museum.

Tai, you are certainly correct about the photograph.  It was obviously staged, but it became one of the most iconic pictures from that particular phase of the War (OIF II).  I found it on an open domain division web page showcasing pics of our missions and accomplishments.  I didn't have the time to actually stage my buddies in poses and use them as many artists do, so I went to the nearest available source.  I felt kinda bad about that at the time, but I never made a secret out of it.  I also have made it a point of putting my source material on this forum so people can see where I am getting my stuff (credit where credit is due).  I don't want to sound like a sourpuss so I will leave it at this.  I will not mention it again in this thread, regardless.

#51 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 02:17 PM

Anyways, even though Tai has a point, Michael has better.
...70 years... LOL

#52 Maikel

Maikel

You dog!

• Reloaded Crew
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 02:54 PM

You ALWAYS have to give credits to the person you use work from. If you use other people's work and you don't give credits, it's unacceptable. As Michael said, it isn't about the money. It's about honor. And honor is important in the graphic world because it's a small world. People are bound to see if you 'ripped' other peoples work. Especially through internet. And to be seen as a copycat in the design industry.......is bad for you business, and health :P

#53 michael_gry

michael_gry

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 07:15 PM

Attached File  bettina.jpg   25.83K   130 downloadsAttached File  dragon1.jpg   44.95K   151 downloadshere are a couple of older pictures I did.  One of my wife and another of a dragon I drew for a lady who wanted a poster for her child's room.

#54 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 07:21 PM

Yo, our artist genious is back! We missed you (or at least your pics :huh:), welcome back. Great pics. :bleh:
...70 years... LOL

#55 michael_gry

michael_gry

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:24 PM

View PostJuni Ori, on Oct 29 2006, 02:21 PM, said:

Yo, our artist genious is back! We missed you (or at least your pics :huh:), welcome back. Great pics. :bleh:

Thanx.  I didn't scan the pics very well.  They lost a lot of information being shrunk down so much.  I wasn't very satisfied with either picture, but I AM pretty critical of myself.  I really need to do more portrait work, there's money in that sort of thing, but it is hard to convey softness with a ball point pen.

#56 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:32 PM

:huh: you're alive :D

I thought I had scared you off or something with my contrary opinions :D

Great work on the piccies :bleh:
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#57 michael_gry

michael_gry

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 02:56 AM

Attached File  candle.jpg   247.88K   133 downloadsAttached File  mother_nature.jpg   94.03K   127 downloadsAttached File  class_project.jpg   136.32K   102 downloads]
well, I've been at school for a while and am now getting ready to go back to the land of happiness and sunshine.  I had some time to do a couple of new pictures and thought I would post them here.  I almost have a thousand hits!  woo-hoo!  :)

#58 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 03:16 AM

These last three drawings are simply breathtaking. I especially love the candle one.

It's nice to see you are back again :)

Yo!

#59 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 04:36 AM

My favorite (for potentially obvious reasons to anyone who knows me) is the one with the girl :)

the technique in the candle one is fantastic, though, great job :)

Please visit more often ;)
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#60 Frodo

Frodo

Your neck looks very... tasty!

• Admin
  • 9533 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 05:12 AM

Nice to see you back Michael.   :)

I love that candle.  It's amazing.   ;)
Please click on my dragons to help them grow -    Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image