Who Do You Think Is Cooler?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Poll: Who do you think is cooler, J.C. Denton or Solid Snake?

Who do you think is cooler, J.C. Denton or Solid Snake?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 02:38 PM

JC is way better as a choice than Solid Snake. Snake is just a fool.

Also Deus Ex is a far better game. That influenced my opinion somewhat.

#17 Iron_Scarecrow

Iron_Scarecrow

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:31 PM

At the time I had no idea who either of them were, and now after voting I still have no idea who they are and I'm sure I could find out by reading the thread, but there's no need for that. I voted Solid Snake, was that his name? anyway it sounded cooler.

#18 TheSmyth

TheSmyth

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 01:35 PM

Denton.    Definitely.
Ultra-cool and cybernetically enhanced.

Not to mention Snake can't even use a sniper rifle without a little something to calm his nerves. :)
"All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand."

Murphys Law #143: Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

#19 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 01:54 PM

Well yeah granted that's true in regards to snake, but you still have to upgrade JC skills in the rifle department for him to be a decent shot, otherwise it's shaky aim still.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#20 TheSmyth

TheSmyth

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 01:59 PM

But at least Denton learns.. What does snake do but repeat the same actions for the whole series of games?

"Oh look, a gaurd... I'll just wait until this radar tells me he can't see me and snap his neck... Then I'll drag him behind this tank, and do the same to the next gaurd.."

That said, I do still enjoy the Snake games. :)
"All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand."

Murphys Law #143: Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

#21 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 06:30 PM

:) yeah that's very true, great summary of how snake acts though, good stuff.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#22 BlackMageJawa

BlackMageJawa

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 10:38 PM

Hmm, I'd assumed that the PC bias here would have given JC a big edge.

I'll admit that I never really got into Deus Ex, but the character never appealed to me that much. Whereas I'm a BIG fan of Snake.

#23 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 08:47 AM

I'm gonna go with Solid Snake because he is reminiscent of Snake Plissken, the coolest action hero ever (with the stupidest name ever).
Furthermore, it is my opinion that Carthage must be destroyed.

#24 auhsor

auhsor

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 12:36 PM

I went with Denton. Deus Ex was the coolest game when I played it, and that was a couple of years after it came out. I was sad because whenever I talked to my friends, they had never heard of it. Like it won all these awards and that, but people just hadn't heard of it. Don't go near the sequel... it was dumbed down alot for consoles, and ran very bad on PC's.

To be honest I havn't played the MGS games, but from screenshots I've seen, he does seem like a pretty cool dude, it's just that Denton is cooler.

#25 Jacek Dobrzyniecki

Jacek Dobrzyniecki

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 01:07 PM

Who's Solid Snake?
I never played Deus Ex, so I don't think I can vote.

#26 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 01:47 PM

auhsor, on May 31 2005, 12:36 PM, said:

I went with Denton. Deus Ex was the coolest game when I played it, and that was a couple of years after it came out. I was sad because whenever I talked to my friends, they had never heard of it. Like it won all these awards and that, but people just hadn't heard of it. Don't go near the sequel... it was dumbed down alot for consoles, and ran very bad on PC's.

To be honest I havn't played the MGS games, but from screenshots I've seen, he does seem like a pretty cool dude, it's just that Denton is cooler.
Sold out rereleased Deux Ex. I bougth it out of sheer nostalgia. It only costs £4 too.

#27 Aureliano

Aureliano

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 06:25 PM

Obviously Solid Snake is much cooler. He looks manlier, is sexually aware and is made of bone and flesh, most of him at least. I don't like machines and Denton is too much of a machine for my tastes.
I don't know but I've been told
Deirdre's got a Network Node
Likes to press the on/off switch
Dig that crazy Gaian witch !

- Spartan troup song -

#28 Solarjetman

Solarjetman

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 06:54 PM

I didn't want to get involved but:

No contest. Denton is a one dimentional straw puppet who relies on the player to bring any a sense of emotion, perhaps a deliberate hole but one that leaves him, as a stand alone character, vapid and empty. Cool like a vacuum. Gadgets cyborg additions? Pah they may be fun but they don't make the character. Brother is a rebel and they both work for anti terroist group. wow.

Snake: an angst ridden, genetic soldier whose father was a power hungry meglomaniac and whose twin brother is also his nemesis. Being a soldier is all he knows, the rules of the battlefield define him and estrange him from emotional attachment, yet they boil under the surface and make interaction with other characters strained but deliberate. Takes dimazepam to steady his nerves, has combat suit and tuxedo, befriends wolves by covering himself in urine, absails down tall buildings and outwits a psychic who can see his every move. Oh and his best friend is a cyborg ninja. Sorry, is there a bias coming across here?

And relax.

#29 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 06:43 PM

What are you talking about? He's not a stand alone character at all and he brims with life. His enhancements are also one of the main parts of his character.

He didn't have parents, that's the whole point, he was a lab specimen and raised by scientists who pretended to be his parents before they were killed by MJ12. Denton also swaps sides, if you had played the game for more than about 2 hours you would have seen that.

He has to outwit the whole of the UN, his boss can see what he sees and the link never goes off. The main enemy, Walton Simmons is a cold-hearted bastard who kills his slightly-less-evil boss Joseph Manderly (or it's hinted at, especially if you kill him first) and takes over a whole anti-terrorist force for the Illuminati. How much cooler do you get?

The game is also totally non-linear and you choose the responses yourself, the game changes to how you play it.

Solid Snake on the other hand is a  total wankshaft who no-one can empathise with and you couldn't possibly outwit a psycic who saw everything coming unless they were particuarly stupid/merciful.

The game is totally linear and having a cyborg as a best friend smells of a kiddie-pleasing gimmick to me.

Also the cut-scenes are long, tedious and unskippable, free from any humour or real emotion, unlike pretty much all of Deus Ex's and you can skip them if you choose.

Solid Snake is the really one-dimensional one out of the two. Angst ridden is his only character trait really, JC Denton on the other hand is brooding, devoted and above all has a killer's mind. That is far better than dome emotionless *twit* who rides on the back of a badly written script.

Oh yeah, that brings me to another thing. JC has been voiced brilliantly, Snake has not.

Nuff said.

#30 MasterGrazzt

MasterGrazzt

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 08:05 PM

http://homestar-gear-solid.ytmnd.com/

Also, the only reason to play Metal Gear Solid:

http://metalgear.ytmnd.com/
user posted image