4 replies to this topic

#1 mika

mika

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 08:30 AM

I have a suggestion here. I don't think the RSS feed should be cutting off any of the news. This is one of the most commong gripes with certain feeds, and should probably be avoided.

Oh, and is there maybe one feed that shows all three items in one? I think this might be useful.

#2 Kosta

Kosta

The Great Creater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 11:11 AM

Hmmm.... well, we had our doubts about that, yes. However, since you can manually subscribe to all 3, and have them run in a same channel it seemed unnecessary. Are there any particular reasons why it is not good practice?

#3 mika

mika

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 12:16 PM

Truncating the news in feeds is bad practice - mostly because lots of people use rss as an offline news aggregator, so if the news item's aren't whole, they pretty much get very irritated.

About the single feed, that's not bad practice, but would just be easier since these days people subscribe to so many feeds (I've got over 800), it can get too much to have more than one feed per site.

[edit]of course having the separate feeds is also great.[/edit]

#4 Kosta

Kosta

The Great Creater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 07:21 PM

It will be tricky to combine them all, database wise, but I'll give it a try :)

#5 mika

mika

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 07:34 PM

Heh, I know what you mean.  :)

Maybe use a database view. It might save you some coding. If you need any help, just email me the tables structures and I'll have a look at them.

Oh, and don't worry about the feeds being too big. Your news items here seems very small, so you can place 10 of each item easily if you ask me. (ie the feed would have 30 items)

Reply to this topic