#1 SupSuper

SupSuper

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 07:20 PM

http://www.mobygames...ly-championship

I'm running DOSBox 0.63, default config. When I start the game the intro plays fine, but when the game actually starts (main menu) I get random flashing red pixels of doom! If I start it on Windows XP or VDMSound it works fine.

Edit: Also, even though the Mobygames entry claims it as a Windows game, mine is definitely a DOS game.

Attached Files

This was brought to you by SupSuper aka Daniel Albano

#2 Qbix

Qbix

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 10:52 AM

That looks quite interresting.
I can't even determine the original menu structure from it.

is the attached image the original resolution ? (320x200)

#3 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 12:22 PM

Well this game has very advanced 3D graphics(it's from 96' or 97')I very much doubt it that DOSBox is able to run it...(or is needed to run it anyway)
But meh I last played it on win98 so I can't really tell...

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#4 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2953 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 01:34 PM

If it "runs fine in XP" then why start it in DOSBox at all?
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#5 Qbix

Qbix

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 01:44 PM

BeefontheBone, on Dec 11 2005, 03:34 PM, said:

If it "runs fine in XP" then why start it in DOSBox at all?
I think the point is that it doesn't work correctly in DOSBox.

not the fact that it runs in XP. (as if everybody uses XP)

#6 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 01:50 PM

I meant specifically for this user. I've no idea about this game, but if it's from about '97 and is a Windows game then I don't see where the issue is - why would a 486 be expected to run it in DOS?
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

#7 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 02:01 PM

I think there was a dos version of the game, at least the prompt would appear when I would play it...
The point is there any need of emulation if it runs ok on every system...

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#8 Qbix

Qbix

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 02:41 PM

well that is still besides the point.
We (DOSBox people) try to make a dos emulator that runs most if not all games. So it doesn't work, we want to try and fix it.

(and It's highly unlikely that the game will keep running in the future. I recall that windows 64 bit won't run any dos game at all...)

#9 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 02:49 PM

You are right, we appreciate your work :blink:

#10 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 03:25 PM

SupSuper, on Dec 10 2005, 07:20 PM, said:

I'm running DOSBox 0.63, default config. When I start the game the intro plays fine, but when the game actually starts (main menu) I get random flashing red pixels of doom! If I start it on Windows XP or VDMSound it works fine.

Edit: Also, even though the Mobygames entry claims it as a Windows game, mine is definitely a DOS game.
:blink:

Yo!

#11 Qbix

Qbix

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 03:57 PM

Tom Henrik, on Dec 11 2005, 05:25 PM, said:

SupSuper, on Dec 10 2005, 07:20 PM, said:

You are interrested in the game Tom ?

#12 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 04:02 PM

Not really, driving games aren't my thing, but I just noticed that most of the other posters here seem to jump to the conclusion of it being a Windows game.

I believe SupSuper posted about the game, not because he would really love to play it in DOSBox (as he can play it in Win XP), but because it is originally a DOS game, and so is highlighting the issue here, in case there is a chance for improving DOSBox. :D

Yo!

#13 Qbix

Qbix

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 04:15 PM

Ah yes. I agree. It's indeed a nice chance for improving DOSBox.

Thanks for clearing that up. I understand the boldness of your post  :blink:

#14 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 04:36 PM

Ah, missed that edit, I only saw Tulac's post.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)

#15 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2005 - 05:33 PM

Qbix, on Dec 11 2005, 10:52 AM, said:

That looks quite interresting.
I can't even determine the original menu structure from it.

is the attached image the original resolution ? (320x200)
Sure is.

My point was that: it's a DOS game; it doesn't work on DOSBox; DOSBox's point is to run any DOS game; obviously something is wrong and I should report it.

Plus I like running DOS games on DOSBox, regardless if they work or not on WinXP. I can control the speed, put it in a window, take screenshots, and it has that whole DOS feel that I love :blink:

Anyways, I thought a screenshot simply didn't show how interesting the problem is, so I made a movie (don't mind the Unregistered note in the corner).
Posted Image
I'd give you a screenshot of the game running normally on WinXP (for comparison purposes), but without DOSBox there's no way for me to take a screenshot of a DOS game :D

Back to DOSBox