#31 Wastelander

Wastelander

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:54 PM

View PostDeathDude, on Sep 11 2006, 05:02 PM, said:

Again that moreso depends on the reviewer mostly. Sometimes is wise to mention other sources for addsons and such depending on the game, really falls moreso towards the reviewer and is not always necessary for some games.

Can't argue with that, since I didn't claim anything different. ^^

But, IMHO, MegaMekNET is something worth mentioning, since it eradicates the problem of finding someone to play and, on top of that, it has some very entertaining features that add greatly to the experience. In my view, there just isn't any reason why it would be a mistake to give this fact a short note.

This, as mentioned, is just my perspective or at the most a friendly advice. Nothing I state is written in stone. ^^

All my regards
~Wasty

#32 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 03:52 PM

View PostWastelander, on Sep 11 2006, 10:54 PM, said:

View PostDeathDude, on Sep 11 2006, 05:02 PM, said:

Again that moreso depends on the reviewer mostly. Sometimes is wise to mention other sources for addsons and such depending on the game, really falls moreso towards the reviewer and is not always necessary for some games.

Can't argue with that, since I didn't claim anything different. ^^

But, IMHO, MegaMekNET is something worth mentioning, since it eradicates the problem of finding someone to play and, on top of that, it has some very entertaining features that add greatly to the experience. In my view, there just isn't any reason why it would be a mistake to give this fact a short note.

This, as mentioned, is just my perspective or at the most a friendly advice. Nothing I state is written in stone. ^^

All my regards
~Wasty
Ok. I might check the megamekNET and this game out.. IF I can have the will power to come off NWN that is. xD

#33 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2953 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 06:24 PM

Of course, the game discussion thread is PRECISELY the place to mention good add-ons, communities and the like that you've come across :(
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#34 the_fifth_horseman

the_fifth_horseman

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 12:29 PM

Megamek is not as bad a game as the reviewer thought.
Yeah, no sound and the graphics - well - suck. So what?

It's a direct conversion of the Battletech rules, much like the old MechWar. The computer does all the number-crunching and bookkeeping, while the players are free to make their moves and plan their tactics - thus, the "game" is in fact an ideal play-aid for the real boardgame.

Also, it is possible to input your own mechs into the game, altough the process isn't the simplest (a bit of hackering, I admit).

It all works quite fast and - thanks to being Java-based - is platform independent.

IMO, it's a solid 3 that can be stretched a bit to a disputable 4 (which it will be for Battletech fanatics).

#35 Wastelander

Wastelander

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 12:58 PM

Since there is no revised review of MegaMek as of yet I'm going to try and write a review based on the current version and my experiences with the game. I will also try to take ThatSino's review as a base for my text, although I think that there is just very little correct information to keep. So let's just start right away with analysing ThatSino's review and collecting information which is worth to keep, which is not and why.

MegaMek is a turn-based strategy game based off of the classic board game Battletech, and while that game is classic, this one may not be.
I will keep the first part of that sentence, but leave away the early comment. What I will try to do is keeping all comments for the last paragraph and sticking to objective information. I also think that it is worth mentioning that MegaMek is not only BASED on the BattleTech rules but a 99% conversion of them.

When you start the game, you have to choose between the Windows or Java BAT files, a selection that may break your game.
Since I didn't have any problems with installing and running the game, I need to rely on other experiences. Speaking for myself, the game ran smoothly using Sun's JAVA VM. It even detected both JAVA VMs running on my system and let me choose the one I preferred.

When you finally get it up, you have two choices: Join Game or Start Game.
This information is outdated. The current Main Menu contains the following Options:
  • Host a New Game
  • Host a Saved Game
  • Host a Scenario
  • Connect to a Game
  • Connect as a Bot
  • Map Editor

I was seriously pissed at the lack of single player campaign, or at least a battle-a-bot mode.
Again, a comment and a rather harsh one besides. The lack of a single player campaign will not go unmentioned though.

And to top that all of, you have to find a server port, a process that took me hours.
I think this can be left out totally, since the standard port for MegaMek games is set to 2346 now.

So when you start the game, you will be placed with you units of choice on a big battlefield, the combat is similar to Battle at Wesnoth, and yet has it's own quirks. You have a hexagonal battlefield, and fights obviously ensue.
I think I won't keep this paragraph, because the description of gameplay is VERY inaccurate. Instead I will try to give those who aren't familiar with the BattleTech rules (like me) a short overview about the 3 main phases.

As for the battles, I can't say there is anything wrong. But when it comes to actually playing the game, I'm afraid to say that you have better choices.
I will try to keep generalization in my last paragraph as small as possible. Again, speaking for myself, I found the game interesting and fun to play, even as someone who never played the BattleTech tabletop game.

Summing it up, we have the following information from ThatSino's review that I'd want to keep:
  • Conversion of BattleTech rules
  • There MAY be some difficulties when installing (still hoping for your experiences in this aspect)
  • No single-player campaign
And since that isn't very much, at least not enough to write a decent review, here's a list of things I want to add:
  • Help on installing and running the game (based on your information)
  • Short description of the game rules
  • Simple but effective graphics
  • No sound
  • Large selection of units
  • Open-source development guarantees constant enhancements
  • No built-in matchmaking
  • No built-in Mech-building tool
  • A short notice about MegaMekNET and other online campaigns
Based on this information I will try to write a review as soon as I have the staff's and ThatSino's permission to do so.

All my regards
~Wasty

(EDIT) I am looking for a link or email adress to submit my review. Can't find any on the site. Thanks in advance.

#36 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 01:49 PM

Well, as far as I can tell, you got ThatSino's permission already, so I've PMed you the upload details.:ok:

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#37 Wastelander

Wastelander

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 03:56 PM

I'll get to work on it right after evening classes.

Regards
~Wasty

#38 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 04:09 PM

I'm gonna give this game a shot sometime. And the new review plan looks good. :ok:

#39 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 08:37 PM

Updated with the new review.:max:

By the way, could one of the updaters help me out with the html tags to add this link at the end? It wouldn't work for some reason.:ok:

Edit: Gah, and it didn't accept the new rating either, although I did click on 'update'. Help?:D

#40 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:15 PM

Okies added the link for ya Raffles. :ok:

What's the score btw, shall try again to add it.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#41 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:18 PM

Thanks, DD. The rating is supposed to be 3.4 - I was 100% sure I had added it, but it didn't work for some reason.:ok:

#42 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:23 PM

Strange indeed, have had that happen before, oh wells no biggie. Changed the rating too.  :ok:

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#43 Wastelander

Wastelander

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 12:21 AM

Thanks for your efforts in getting the review up. :ok:

Sorry for the problems, probably has to do with my karma - me always playing PKs in MMORPGs. ;D

Regards
~Wasty

(EDIT) I just realized that the Pros & Cons are still the same as before. Is there a way to change them?

#44 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 12:47 AM

Yup, just give us some new pros/cons and we'll make the changes. :ok:

#45 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 07:49 AM

Argh, no! I changed those. I swear I changed those.:ok:

There were some problems, because some of them (the first pro and the two cons) were too long, I remember:

Pros:
~ Conversion of original BattleTech rules
~ Vast selection of units
~ Fun online campaigns

Cons:
~ Simple graphics, no music / sound
~ Online campaigns not part of the actual game

Reply to this topic