#1 stijnelijn

stijnelijn

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 02:34 AM

A toolbar?

Your trying to get people to download spyware and virusses now?

I woulnd,t download this if i get payed for it. No matter how much fun the game is.

#2 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:23 AM

You are telling me that we are giving publibity to a developer who created a toolbar which you just can't uninstall or decide to have or not if you wish to try the game out?

I voted this game a 1. I don't even care if the game could be the best game ever created. It doesn't matter much to be frank...
"I am on a hot streak... Literally"

#3 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 11:17 AM

View PostEagle of Fire, on Jun 19 2006, 11:23 AM, said:

You are telling me that we are giving publibity to a developer who created a toolbar which you just can't uninstall or decide to have or not if you wish to try the game out?

I voted this game a 1. I don't even care if the game could be the best game ever created. It doesn't matter much to be frank...
Sorry EoF, but since when is the rating of games a means of punishing makers? It's supposed to be indicating how good/bad a game is. If you don't want the toolbar, fine, just don't download the game. But rating a game you haven't even played at 1, just because you don't agree about something the developer said or did is essentially abusing the rating system for a petty act of revenge.

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#4 Sinke

Sinke

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:00 PM

Not to mention that this guy makes games on his own, and he lives in Poland- which isn't rich country. You want a freeware game? Fine, you'll just have to go through few commercials.

I wouldn't do it more different myself.
One can always get mocked for being polite.

#5 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:12 PM

It's supposed to be indicating how good/bad a game is.
That's exactly why I voted a 1. I don't need to play the game, any game which promote such stupidities is a bad game whatever the content.

#6 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:11 PM

View PostEagle of Fire, on Jun 20 2006, 04:12 PM, said:

It's supposed to be indicating how good/bad a game is.
That's exactly why I voted a 1. I don't need to play the game, any game which promote such stupidities is a bad game whatever the content.
No it isn't. By the same logic I'd have to rate the GTA titles at 1 because I disapprove of excessive violence in computer games (which I haven't done, obviously).
What you're disapproving of is the attitude of the maker, not the game - which you haven't even bothered to try, so really, you shouldn't be talking. The game itself is just as good or bad as it would be if the developers hadn't chosen to promote it in such a way. But the fact that you think no developer should do something like that does not enable you to pass a qualified judgement on a game you've never even played. If you haven't played a game, don't rate it. I can't see what's so hard about that.

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#7 Sinke

Sinke

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:39 PM

This add-on is quite frustrating, and it would discorage me from downloading game as well. However, I understand the maker.

This is the best Mario out there- period.

#8 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:01 PM

You don't seems to get the point AJ Raffle. The public rating is there so others may get an opinion of the game quality from other "normal" people. For the record, I would have done the same if it would have installed the game, tryied it and realised later on what is really going on. One vote on 100 would not drop the average a single bit.

People on Abandonia who are used to read my reviews knows, for example, that I publicly say to everyone that CIV III Complete install spyware in the background every single time you start the game. I don't care the slightlest bit if the game is good (in fact, I like Civ III), the part in which the game install something I'm not aware of is completely wrong. You just can't say "well, it's not that bad" only because it's a good game or because you like it or not. That's a plainly biased opinion.

If the developers of the game are intelligent enough to remove that, give out a new version and then that new version is displayed on Abandonia... then I'll change my vote. Until then, I am completely within my right to give the game a 1 since that's exactly what I don't want to see in a game.

#9 Sinke

Sinke

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 12:06 AM

People on Abandonia who are used to read my reviews knows, for example, that I publicly say to everyone that CIV III Complete install spyware in the background every single time you start the game. I don't care the slightlest bit if the game is good (in fact, I like Civ III), the part in which the game install something I'm not aware of is completely wrong. You just can't say "well, it's not that bad" only because it's a good game or because you like it or not. That's a plainly biased opinion.

Huh? I had it for years and there were no spyware detections! And I use Norton ISecurity as well as tons of other gadgets. Are you sure about this?

#10 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 03:54 AM

Seems this is a recent thing with the toolbar installation thingy earlier versions didn't have this, and yeah next version will allow for optional installation, at least the developer put a blurb and didn't have it silentlly install without having to discover it when you load up IE, so least they were upfront about it.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#11 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:12 PM

Huh? I had it for years and there were no spyware detections! And I use Norton ISecurity as well as tons of other gadgets. Are you sure about this?
The game install C-Dilla every single time you see the Atari logo when it load up. If you have an older version without the Atari Logo (before Atari got control of the game) I am pretty sure you won't have such a thing.

I had a pirated version of the first version of the game before the extention, and I never noticed something like that. No need to say that I been more than extremely disapointed with that when I got out and purchased the game to support the developers...

I have a program named "Spyware Doctor" which detect C-Dilla every time I launch Civ III Complete. It doesn't auto detect it, I need to make the manual search everytime. But I think that scanning just before starting Civ III Complete without result, clicking on the start icon and scanning again right away, this time finding the C-Dilla spyware (I've done it over a dozain times) proves easily that something within the game cause it to be installed every time I start the game.

I could be wrong, but I'm also pretty sure it's related to Atari.

#12 stijnelijn

stijnelijn

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 02:44 AM

i agree with eagle of fire.

This toolbar violates the will of the owner who installed it. It shoulnd,t be downloaded by anyone because of this.  The program is crap because of this toolbar and deserves a 1 or 0 because of this.

If he made a great game i would be happy to pay for his toolbarfree game. That should make this polski a little richer in a decent way. I payed for this really nice russian game `space rangers` for example.

#13 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 02:48 AM

How does it violate the will of the owner? The game is upfront about the installation, so you know what your getting when you get the game, would you rather have had the game silently install the toolbar and discover it then? Least the developer didn't go that route unlike some companies.

Besides if you don't want the toolbar, you can hide it after doing 3 searches, that's it bam it's gone and or if you know your way around programs like hijackthis, you can remove it that way too, so it's not as black and white as it may seem.

Edited by DeathDude, 23 June 2006 - 03:13 AM.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#14 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 03:12 AM

View Poststijnelijn, on Jun 23 2006, 02:44 AM, said:

i agree with eagle of fire.

This toolbar violates the will of the owner who installed it. It shoulnd,t be downloaded by anyone because of this.  The program is crap because of this toolbar and deserves a 1 or 0 because of this.

If he made a great game i would be happy to pay for his toolbarfree game. That should make this polski a little richer in a decent way. I payed for this really nice russian game `space rangers` for example.

How does it violate the will of the owner who installed it when the owner knows that the program contains the toolbar? Isn't that like saying a game can violate the will of the owner just because it doesn't have as many guns, or have a certain plugin?

Seriously, giving a game a 1 just because it has some crappy add-on it forces you to install is stupid, it's like saying Half-Life sucks just because it forces you to install Steam. Or even saying a game is bad because it makes you update to the latest version of Dirext X.

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#15 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 03:46 AM

I don't quite see your point. Even tough I know that Civ III Complete installs C-Dilla without my permission, it stills violate my rights and will everytime I would start the game.

There is no magic thinking here. You either accept the fact that games install things you don't want installed in your computer, or you don't. If you begin to say that it's OK only because it's a good game, then the next thing you'll know all the games without exception will have something similar.

Why? Because they can.

Recently, the price of gasoline got thru the roof around here. It jumped in a few years from 0.50$ a liter to 1.50. And yet, even tough I feel like I'm being robbed everytime I fill my car with gasoline, I am yet to find a way to go around it. I need my car to get to work, I don't have much of a choice.

Why did they raise the prices so much and get away with it? Because they can.

Reply to this topic