Megamek

52 replies to this topic

#1 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:53 PM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review + download

Wonderfull sig and avvie by Taikara :D

#2 bjbrains

bjbrains

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:08 PM

Worst. Review. EVER!
It completely ignores the gameplay, and does not elaborate on any of the problems that "he" experienced. As well, did he forget about megameknet, the online version of the game . Quality standards really have dropped recently.  :(
Insert witty signature here.

#3 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:34 PM

View Postbjbrains, on Sep 8 2006, 08:08 PM, said:

Worst. Review. EVER!
Hmm, I hate to say this, but I think I agree...:(
Sorry about that. We'll see what we can do to fix it.

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#4 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:36 PM

Yeah, the game looks interesting, but since it's MP only, can't be bothered.

#5 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:38 PM

View PostPotatoe, on Sep 8 2006, 08:36 PM, said:

Yeah, the game looks interesting, but since it's MP only, can't be bothered.
Come to think of it, I believe Doubler mentioned there was a way of playing against bots, but you'd better ask him yourself. I'm rubbish at strategy games, so I never even tried this one.:(

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#6 Docktor_Worm

Docktor_Worm

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 09:45 PM

how'd "he" anonymously submit a review?
IPB Image
...her rabid glow is like braille to the night

#7 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 09:52 PM

Well whoever sent us a review, forgot to sign their name in the review and thus the mystery continues.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#8 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 10:04 PM

For playing against bots, I came across the following on a forum somewhere (It's from last year, though):

Offline and LAN play with (or without) Bots

If you just want to play over a LAN or offline with bots, you will need to create a batch file to run it as I found the one provided doesn't work.

Open up notepad and insert the following text:

d:MegaMek
java -jar MegaMek.jar

replace the first line with the location of your MegaMek folder.
Save the file as a .bat file, not .txt

If you want to play with bots (I haven't tried this yet so this is theory), open up multiple versions of the game, host with one version of the game, and then select "Connect as a bot" with all the other open versions of the game.
I didn't check it either, but it might be worth checking out? :(

Wonderfull sig and avvie by Taikara :D

#9 MasterGrazzt

MasterGrazzt

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 11:21 PM

Jeez!

At least he mentioned that it's based on BattleTech, though.
user posted image

#10 Sinke

Sinke

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 11:59 PM

Yup, not much of the review. Game doesn't seem promising as well, but it is giant robot game and will probably have it's fans.
One can always get mocked for being polite.

#11 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 01:14 AM

View Postbjbrains, on Sep 8 2006, 08:08 PM, said:

Worst. Review. EVER!
It completely ignores the gameplay, and does not elaborate on any of the problems that "he" experienced. As well, did he forget about megameknet, the online version of the game . Quality standards really have dropped recently.  :(

:ok: i opend the review from the main page and thought the same thing... glad to see im not the only one

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#12 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:39 AM

The reviewer won't come out now. xD

#13 Wastelander

Wastelander

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 05:23 PM

Hello everybody!

I registered just because I found this review, altogether with the rating and overall respectlessness of the reviewer such a shame for Reloaded.Org! Really, I think you shouldn't accept reviews like this one, especially when it's so obvious that the reviewer had NO CLUE at all about what he was doing.

If I had the time, I would gladly write another review for the game. I tried it out and though it isn't MUCH better than stated in the review, it surely deserves to be analyzed more thoroughly than "So, well, it's something similar to 'Battle for Wesnoth', and yeah, the installation kind of was too complicated for me, so I guess this is crap!" ...

Unfortunately I am just a week away from my "Abitur" exams, so I won't have time to review the game myself. But I hope there are volunteers out there who would give this game a proper examination, for the sake of Reloaded.Org!

All my regards
~Wasty

#14 MasterGrazzt

MasterGrazzt

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 05:56 PM

View PostSinke, on Sep 8 2006, 11:59 PM, said:

Game doesn't seem promising

It's really supposed to be a computerized version of the BattleTech table-top miniatures game, and it's intended audience is people who are already players, and those who are interested in it already. Yeah, it's a bit of a niche for a computer game... but that's one of the sweet things about independent game making, you CAN devise something that is intended to only appeal to a comparatively small portion of games players, without having some suit go "No, it won't fly. Can you give us something that stars a goat with attitude that's done in that bug eyed Jap-ah-knees cartune style?"
user posted image

#15 ThatSino!

ThatSino!

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 07:15 PM

I will come out and be the one to say I was the one to make that review, and I am sorry if it make the quality standards look like crap. I made it around a year ago and never thought that it would ever be posted, so as of now seeing as this WAS posted, I am sorry for being part of "the  decline of Reloaded". Go ahead and ban me, for all I care.

Reply to this topic