What Are You Reading / Read / Reading Next.

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Moogle

Moogle

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1035 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 12:02 AM

Hmmm, with all the talk on books and literature, I though this migt be an interestin' topic...

Basically just state what you're currently reading (if anything), what you last read, and what you're going to read next (if anything). And feel free to comment, of course

For me:
Last read - Pic of Dorian Gray
Reading - Wicked
Next - Perfume : The story of a murderer

#2 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 12:11 AM

Last read - Nineteen Eighty-Four
Reading - Down and Out in Paris and London
Next - Something not by Orwell. Wouldn't want to get tired of him.

#3 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 12:12 AM

After certain discussion I read Waffen-SS by George H. Stein and now I'm reading "Jatkosodan Pikkujättiläinen" (Small Giant of Continuation War) by Jari Leskinen and Antti Juutilainen and several others - historical monolith of Continuation War, far over thousand pages. After that, I don't know yet. I have my own project under way, so my readings are far below my average at the moment.
...70 years... LOL

#4 a1s

a1s

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 01:25 AM

last book finished: Heinlein, "History of the future Vol. 3" (that's "revolt in 2100" and "methuselah's children").
curently reading (ie: have read in the last 3 days and haven't finished yet)*:
Houellebecq, "Elementary Particles"
Heinlein, "Podkayne of Mars: her life and time"
Koontz, "Servants of Twilight"
Next: Weisberger, "The devil wears Parada" (I was meaning to read it for some time, so I guess it will be next, but I'm not 100% sure)

*yes, that's an awful habit, but that's how I read books.
Those of you being liberal-art majors � don�t worry, advanced mathematics were largely omitted from this text in concern for your mental health.

QUOTE (Mighty Midget)
if BP has potied on Twilight Zone episode, I will strangle him

secret adept of the PICKALLONWEASEL order

#5 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 01:40 AM

Last Read: Proof by David Auburn
Now Reading: The AR Forums :) (actually working on art final, so not much time to read until I'm done)
Thinking of Reading Next: The Silmarillion by Tolkien (again)
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#6 Havell

Havell

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 01:51 AM

Now:

The Illuminatus Trilogy - Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson
Stupidly complex story, full of bizarre conspiracy theories and really strangely written (the point of view changes from third to first person from the point of view of many characters without warning, sometimes in the middle of sentences.  Along with random jumps forwards and backwards in time).

The Society of the Spectacle - Guy Debord
Another really heavy read.  Book of philsophy on what society is like written by a stoned Frenchman.  Really hard words and rhetoric but the ideas are so fasciating I feel drawn to carry on.

I'm reading far less than I used to as I'm so busy with schoolwork and acting, which I'm quite sad about.
IPB Image

#7 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 02:04 AM

View Posttaikara, on Dec 10 2006, 03:40 AM, said:

Thinking of Reading Next: The Silmarillion by Tolkien (again)
Thanks for the reminder, I meant to read it again (again) when I have time, but somehow I didn't end up reading it... Guess I'll pick it next.
...70 years... LOL

#8 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 08:36 AM

Now reading (don't laugh): Little Women.:) I need it for my optional thesis on Pilgrim's Progress.

Last read: can't remember, actually, but most likely it was something Spenser- or Shakespeare- or Bunyan-related...

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#9 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 01:20 PM

View PostHavell, on Dec 10 2006, 01:51 AM, said:

Now:

The Illuminatus Trilogy - Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson
Stupidly complex story, full of bizarre conspiracy theories and really strangely written (the point of view changes from third to first person from the point of view of many characters without warning, sometimes in the middle of sentences.  Along with random jumps forwards and backwards in time).

Oooh, me too! I've been reading that at work, and I've also started reading Al Franken's The Truth With Jokes, the last Lemony Snicket book and Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion. I'm terrible for starting things and not finishing them for ages.

Fnord.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#10 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 03:36 PM

last: The Fifth Elefant - Pratchett
now: Monstrous Regiment - Pratchett
next: Dont really know. i have Lords and Ladies but i want to read Small gods first which i dont have... so it will probably be Thud!

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#11 greywolf

greywolf

The Wanderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 05:20 PM

Most Recent: Second Foundation
Currently: The Gods Themselves...
Next (hopefully): Next :)

I simply ADORE Isaac Asimov. I read 2-3 Bradbury books back to back and then started on Asimov, and it struck me that Asimov is, quite simply, a genius. Bradbury tends to be more lyrical and metaphorical, while Asimov's plots are woven and are finished masterfully. Second Foundation changed my life. Really. :D

I also love Michael Critchton and his style of writing (i.e. in-depth research of one particular topic to write the next logical extent of an event/idea at a thriller level). State of Fear just reinforced my ideas about global warming/ the media (although I won't go so far to say that I totally agree with ALL of it). Next should prove to be quite fascinating.

#12 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 05:58 PM

Last read: Pronssi miekka(no english translation, such a horrible book.)
Now reading: Violets are blue - James Patterson, no, it's not poems, it's a thriller. The style reminds me of Dan Brown..

#13 Moogle

Moogle

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1035 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 06:38 PM

View Postgreywolf, on Dec 10 2006, 05:20 PM, said:

Most Recent: Second Foundation
Currently: The Gods Themselves...
Next (hopefully): Next :)

I simply ADORE Isaac Asimov. I read 2-3 Bradbury books back to back and then started on Asimov, and it struck me that Asimov is, quite simply, a genius. Bradbury tends to be more lyrical and metaphorical, while Asimov's plots are woven and are finished masterfully. Second Foundation changed my life. Really. :D

I also love Michael Critchton and his style of writing (i.e. in-depth research of one particular topic to write the next logical extent of an event/idea at a thriller level). State of Fear just reinforced my ideas about global warming/ the media (although I won't go so far to say that I totally agree with ALL of it). Next should prove to be quite fascinating.

OHHH!!!

Lemme know how Next is! Chrichton is awesome, one of my favorite writers, but I decided to read wicked over Next as I wasn't exactly sure what the story for Next was, still sounds interesting though =)

And @ Raffles. You didn't read it already? =P Sorry, just seems like the type of book you in particular would have read ages ago =). Haven't read it meself.

#14 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 07:29 PM

Not really. Too girly for me.:) And it isn't as much of a children's classic over here.

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#15 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 07:37 PM

Last read: Donald Duck
Currently reading: Nothing
Going to read: Nothing in the near foreseeable future.

Fear my literature skills! :)

Yo!