Yo!

#32 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:14 PM

It's a bit bewildering to place down that smiley and see 'Brain".

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#33 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:47 PM

Yeah at first thought that, but gotten used to it after awhile. :(

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#34 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 08:48 PM

To get back on topic... :(

I bought Grandia III and Xenosaga Episode One last week (and also reserved .hack//GU and FFXII).

I spent a good deal of time playing Grandia III this weekend, and my honest opinion is that unless you're a serious fan of the Grandia series, battle systems & endless critter fights, and/or sticky-sweet RPG stylings, you'd be better off not wasting your money.

The absolute best part of the game is the fighting system. It's clever, entertaining, and the animation sequences aren't so long that you can go to the store for a snack and make it back before they're over - about 5 to 15 seconds is the average range for special move sequences. It's also rather smooth, and graphically quite pleasing. It's also fairly balanced (which is the clever part), so you'll have to use all the tactics you have at your disposal to make it very far. The fighting itself is not balanced however, because while some battles are creampuff hack 'n slash, others can eat up quite a lot of time.

Background graphics are gorgeous, though I think they got lazy for one section of the world and just experimented with texture and lighting effects on their "normal" world graphics to make it all look very shiny. The character graphics are pretty good - anime style, but they could use some polishing up. They're a bit too plastic-dollish, and for a recent game, with current technology, even on PS2, it could have been a lot better.

Sound... agh, the sound. There's a pretty good intro song by Miz called "In the Air" - J-Pop at its finest, but the rest... just blargh. It's okay once you get used to it, I suppose, but it's really cartoonishly agitating.

Story... just poorly written, full stop. The scenes waver between being stupidly touching to annoyingly silly with no graceful segue to bridge the gap in tone. Not to mention that for the first 10 hours or so of playing, you still have no clue why you're even doing any of this. Oh, and your main adventuring partner at the beginning of the game is your mom - and let's face it, that's just weird. Especially since she looks about 2 years older than you do. I'm still waiting to find out if she's actually my sister or something. That would at least be a little less weird. Sort of.

All in all, even with all the negative criticism, I find it strangely engaging.

So, I'll let you all know what I think of Xenosaga (been wanting to play it since it came out, but I didn't have any money to buy it then :ok:).
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#35 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:00 PM

Xenosaga is a wicked series so I've heard, you should definitely try to track down Xenogears which is also a stellar title, now I'm trying to think if it was gears or Saga that has the insanely long cut scenes, especially the ending. :(

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#36 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 05:02 AM

View PostBlood-Pigggy, on Sep 18 2006, 08:42 PM, said:

Let's not turn this into another arguement, when Civ V comes around everyone will say that was a catastrophe and that number IV was the best, it always works that way for every Civ game.
Suits me. I'm just too old veteran to remember those good old days when games were innovative. But in one point I do disagree! Civ 4 will never ever be the best! Civ 3 is, but only with small marginal to Civ 2. Civ 3 was - as I think I mentioned earlier - also a little disappointment, but still it improved. Civ 4 actually didn't, though many think otherwise... It's their opinion.

But back to topic. Just borrowed Rome Total War - which I have planned for long time to buy. Now, I'll take a good look before I do. Though I know I'll like it. The question is, is my hardware good enough... :(
...70 years... LOL

#37 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 02:51 PM

View PostJuni Ori, on Sep 19 2006, 05:02 AM, said:

View PostBlood-Pigggy, on Sep 18 2006, 08:42 PM, said:

Let's not turn this into another arguement, when Civ V comes around everyone will say that was a catastrophe and that number IV was the best, it always works that way for every Civ game.
Suits me. I'm just too old veteran to remember those good old days when games were innovative. But in one point I do disagree! Civ 4 will never ever be the best! Civ 3 is, but only with small marginal to Civ 2. Civ 3 was - as I think I mentioned earlier - also a little disappointment, but still it improved. Civ 4 actually didn't, though many think otherwise... It's their opinion.

But back to topic. Just borrowed Rome Total War - which I have planned for long time to buy. Now, I'll take a good look before I do. Though I know I'll like it. The question is, is my hardware good enough... :(
Go to "Tiltin pelikauppa" in jumbo, there's Civ2 and Wolfenstein 3d on sale there :ok:

I didn't buy FPS creator, I bought Guild Wars!

#38 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 02:56 PM

Actually I have Civ 1, 2 and 3, Wolfenstein 3D and Return to Castle Wolfenstein...

Buying SWAT 3 any day now.
...70 years... LOL

#39 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 03:10 PM

If ya can buy the Game Of the Year edition of Swat 3 it comes with some extra missions, a 2nd cd of actual swat training that is shown, and more otherwise get the Elite Edition is your next bet.

#40 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 03:28 PM

Okay, thanks for the tip!
...70 years... LOL

#41 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 09:43 PM

View PostDeathDude, on Sep 19 2006, 03:10 PM, said:

If ya can buy the Game Of the Year edition of Swat 3 it comes with some extra missions, a 2nd cd of actual swat training that is shown, and more otherwise get the Elite Edition is your next bet.
I think you can get SWAT 3 for really cheap at "Anttila" in Jumbo... Or the tunnel place near rautatienasema. Yeah, Stockmann is a good selection of games too. SWAT 3 is actually on sale more than SWAT 4. xD

#42 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 09:43 PM

Wells that's good, would be strange if Swat 4 cost less than 3, since 3 is older, granted have seen cases where a newer title is cheaper than the old one, some of the old Tomb Raider games remember when 2 was more expensive than 3.

#43 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 08:43 AM

View PostPotatoe, on Sep 20 2006, 12:43 AM, said:

I think you can get SWAT 3 for really cheap at "Anttila" in Jumbo... Or the tunnel place near rautatienasema. Yeah, Stockmann is a good selection of games too. SWAT 3 is actually on sale more than SWAT 4. xD
I usually get a 50% discount in my local game store, but thanks anyway! :(
...70 years... LOL

#44 Qbix

Qbix

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 11:18 AM

Bought lego starwars II for the GC yesterday.
Loving it.

#45 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 11:47 AM

View PostJuni Ori, on Sep 20 2006, 08:43 AM, said:

View PostPotatoe, on Sep 20 2006, 12:43 AM, said:

I usually get a 50% discount in my local game store, but thanks anyway! :(
Dose? Or is it some small shop.. R-Kioski xD

Should I start an Reloaded guild on Guild Wars? I'll check if there is one. You never know..