#1 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 02:31 PM

I got one question at starters:

How many tons could Soviet Li-2 carry? Anyone with interest in WW2 planes, please? :)
...70 years... LOL

#2 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 02:45 PM

A Li-what? Sorry, can't help you there, but you could try asking Fruit Pie Jones. As a rule of thumb: if it flies, FPJ will know all about it.:)

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#3 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 02:50 PM

I wish I knew something about it, but yeah FPJ would seem the best choice, wish some of my history that I've learned could've paid off right about now. :)

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#4 Sean

Sean

Just call me Mr. Magic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1265 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:06 PM

I've got a question about WWII

What was the main reasoning behind the begining of the war?

Are we to believe what we have been told or is there a possibility that this is propaganda?
Me>You

#5 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:09 PM

What have you been told? In most cases I have usually been able to widen perspective and open eyes from propaganda, but please tell us first, so I can correct, if necessary. (Who's to say I know the absolute truth?)
...70 years... LOL

#6 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 04:05 PM

The Great World War Two thread, eh?

I hope nobody makes a confusingly titled "The Great War (WW1)" thread.

Anyway, I do indeed have a question - why did the Finns accept German help when they were clearly able to fight off the Soviets themselves?

#7 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:34 PM

Is it true Hitler planned to invade France earlier, but didn't because one of his operatives was caught with the plan, because his plane crashed in England?

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#8 troop18546

troop18546

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:45 PM

Li-2??????
I thought it was called the "Il-2 Sturmovnik".
Is it my soul?
Is it that glimpse of light? I never forget to expect.
Or is it you? Some kind of angel.
That keeps me in waiting forever?

#9 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:52 PM

Well it's not like IL-2 was the only plane used in WW2 by Soviets :)

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#10 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:04 PM

Tulac, on Jan 23 2006, 05:52 PM, said:

Well it's not like IL-2 was the only plane used in WW2 by Soviets :)
Exactly. At the very least, there must have been an IL-1 at one point.:angel:

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#11 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:21 PM

Wasn't the Li-2 a transport plane?

EDIT: Googled picture attached.

Attached Files

Wonderfull sig and avvie by Taikara :D

#12 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 07:32 PM

Yeah, I think that's the point of the question...

#13 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 11:55 AM

@Prejudice: It's not very simple. Easy answer would be, we had to choose between two bad choises and Germany seemed much less worse. Of course we've had our forever distrust towards east, but Soviet Union then was expansionist, aggressive and very unpredictable. Also we had lost territory in Winter War (31.11.'39-13.3.'40) and were more than willing to claim them back. Why? We lost significant size of fertile farmland and rich woods. And we shouldn't forget the will of revenge. Also, Germany was only realistic partner to trade along with Sweden. Baltic Sea was surrounded by four independent nations: Finland, Sweden, Germany and Soviet Union. And I put them in order with whom we'd like to trade. Also Germany offered great improvements to our army, modernizing both personal and heavy equipment. Why not trade with western world? Simply because it was impossible, mostly because Germany wouldn't had let us. And your saying "clearly able to fight off" is actually very false. Without political pressure from west to make peace Soviet Union would had taken Finland over.

@A.J. Raffles: Actually Il-1 never entered production if I remember correctly... :)

And indeed Li-2, named by it's "designer" Boris Lisunov, is C-47 Skytrain variant, which was used both to troop transport and as a bomber. I know it's cargo capacity must have been less than C-47, over 4500kg, but how much and what was it's bomb carry capacity.
...70 years... LOL

#14 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 02:30 PM

Well, now that the question has been out there for some time and no one has answered, I felt that it was alright to google it. :angel:

If I'm not mistaken the Li-2 had a bomb capacity of 1000 kg. 2000 kg for short strikes. :)
Furthermore, it is my opinion that Carthage must be destroyed.

#15 DannyMc252

DannyMc252

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:16 PM

Sean, on Jan 23 2006, 03:06 PM, said:

I've got a question about WWII

What was the main reasoning behind the begining of the war?

Are we to believe what we have been told or is there a possibility that this is propaganda?
I've learnt it as
When Hitler invaded Poland after being warned by multiple governments, and not withdrawing, war was declared upon him.
user posted image
Meep?