25 replies to this topic

#1 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 01:57 PM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review + download

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#2 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 03:07 PM

This looks very good. I have to give a try when I have time.  :)

It seems that it's using a hex-based map. I always preferred those to squares, as it's actually possible to make a (nearly) ball-shaped world with hexes, while the best you can do with squares is a cylinder. ;)
Furthermore, it is my opinion that Carthage must be destroyed.

#3 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 03:37 PM

Looks like a wargame to me, but I'll have to try it first to see if it compare to Final Fantasy Tactics and the like.
"I am on a hot streak... Literally"

#4 Triton

Triton

Daily Denizen

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 05:03 PM

*cough*  What, you don't like war games?

#5 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 12:18 AM

Hmm... Technically damn good job, didn't notice a single bug, surprisingly good and working graphics, no matter how childish they look... But but but, system isn't as good as it might be, actually quite far from there and even though I'm grateful for campaigns I think their storylines and missions seem little repetitive, however I haven't played any campaign far enough to really judge them. Combat system with its illogicalities is still the worst. Surprising notice, language setting was automatically same as my system... however it lacks a lot of translations, at least to finnish, and feels somewhat stupid to read first in finnish and all of the sudden changes to english! Overall I guess I'll rate this 3/5, mostly because of the combat system. Technical rating would easily be 5/5, no matter how incomplete this game is. Eagerly waiting what these guys come up with later on with updates and possible other games.
...70 years... LOL

#6 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 02:26 PM

They're still working on it so in time it'll be better.

#7 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 04:16 PM

i dont know how you can say its lacking translations... high profile games usually dont get half the amount of translations as this one has... and every update there is a new language

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#8 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 06:00 AM

@Mdag yes it is under developement, but my bet is that those small parts that disturb me are not going to be altered.

@DakaSha yes I say they are lacking translations if I had to change language setting to english because it actually bothered me to read every other text in english and every other in finnish. And I was trying to sound positively surprised, although there were some lacks left. But, as it is still under work, I guess that will be fixed.

Few corrections to my opinions:
1) Way too addictive...
2) Campaign (first one) isn't repetitive.
3) I've met few minor bugs, like sea monsters on that rivercrossing mission, that occasionally don't move. However, I've noticed that when encountering bug just load autosave or start mission over.

But question, if anyone else has been affected by nasty virus named 'Battle in Wesnoth':
Has anyone found the Sceptre of Fire and if, HOW??? Looks like the dungeon is randomized and full of monsters. Supporting units (read: healers) are way too slow to explore whole dungeon. I'll give it one more shot, spending every damn gold coin I have to build massive dwarf army and run amok through the dungeon ignoring casualties.

PS: I strongly recommend trying to get Dwarvish Thunderguards!  :)

Edit: Ok, of course I got it through right after whining for help... ;)
...70 years... LOL

#9 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 04:48 PM

heh wait till you start playing it online... THEN it gets addictive :)

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#10 Dime

Dime

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 02:35 AM

There is a newer version of Battle for wesnot available on the official site.
Perhaps you should ask ang get a link to download it ( wesnoth 1.0 )

#11 Martenzo

Martenzo

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 02:30 PM

This game is now nearing the completion of version 1.2, I seriously reccommend all of those, whose version is pre 1.1.x to download the newer version.

And, IIRC the replay system has also improved: you can watch the through quicly, and the option of not watchng them at all is also going to be ingame soon, so the only con this game had, will be removed.

#12 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:04 PM

That's great news! :bleh:

And welcome to the forum :huh:

Yo!

#13 greywolf

greywolf

The Wanderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 04:11 AM

Version 1.2 is out! :D They've totally revamped the graphics, done some serious rebalancing, upgraded the code (known as Wesnoth Markup Language - WML) users can utilize to make custom content, and added some new campaigns. I'd be willing to take screenshots since all the ones we have now are basically obsolete.

#14 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:17 AM

I finally played Heir to the Throne campaign through and I must say that my last rating is obsolote. If I gave 3/5 last time, now I have to give this 4/5. I hope everyone notices that I've already given technical rating 5/5, even though the game actually has crashed once on my comp, but it's a very low price because I didn't notice a single bug this time. During that campaign, perhaps I'll notice some later. Translations are still far too incomplete to keep them on, but perhaps we'll see them working one day?

Even though I give this still only 4/5, I strongly recommend this to fantasy armchair generals.
...70 years... LOL

#15 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:18 PM

well to really rate it you have to play it in MP. thats wehere the game shines

Posted Image

Reply to this topic