38 replies to this topic

#16 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 02:22 PM

The engine is made specially for the game, from what I've read.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#17 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:02 PM

View PostDeathDude, on Oct 24 2006, 02:22 PM, said:

The engine is made specially for the game, from what I've read.
I could've sworn that was the unreal engine... But that's cool aswell.

#18 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:08 PM

Nope definitely not unreal style, least from when I first saw it, didn't seem like very UT, plus the engine wouldn't exactly be cheap to use. :bleh: This is after all a freeware game.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#19 BlackFurredBeast

BlackFurredBeast

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:08 PM

View Postgregor, on Oct 24 2006, 02:16 PM, said:

wich engine is this? Unreal, Quake 2 or something made specially for this game?

What I read in passing is that the base is the GPL'ed Quake2 engine, heavily modded. But to be sure, check the game's HP.
Aw crap, I'm bloggified!
http://bfbeast666.blogy.de (in German)

#20 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 11:08 PM

Ahh  so is run on an existing engine, according to wikipedia: "The game is powered by the Quake II engine based CRX Engine, which features 32 bit hi-res texture support, shaders, textured particles, stainmaps, reflective water, light bloom, real-time dynamic vertex lighting, and other modern effects."

#21 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 11:44 PM

I'm downloading this now. I need to pwn people :bleh:

To everyone else attempting to download, I suggest using gamershell.com for download, I'm gettting best dl rate with them.

#22 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 04:24 AM

Yeah gamershell is one of the best mirrors for downloads, definitely top of the line servers, especially for a big game like this.

#23 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 04:57 PM

The game looks strange to me, its like I turn, but then I like see the walls but they are transperant, is it just my computer or is it supposed to be like that?

#24 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 05:25 PM

Think some levels are like that I believe, where the effect is present, think you could prob turn it off in the options menu, think encountered that in a few areas myself if memory serves me correct.

#25 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 09:33 AM

I think it's my display driver, when I'm in windowed the game is just fine, but when I'm in fullscreen the problem comes up.

#26 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 03:26 PM

Might be then if that's the case, imagine the requirements graphic cards wise has gone up, they did some significant upgrades to the game engine for 2007.

#27 Irritant

Irritant

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 03:04 PM

Hi Abandonia Reloaded - I know I'm reviving an old topic here, but I stumbled across your review of Alien Arena, and just wanted to say a few things about it and the game.

First let me introduce myself - I am the lead developer of Alien Arena, as well as CEO of COR Entertainment, LLC.  Alien Arena has been a part of my life since 2003 now, when it first began development.  

This is the kind of review every dev wants to see for their game.  It really does echo our own views of it, and it is the type of reactions we love to see.  You can't ever please everyone, but it sure is great to see in words when in fact you do please someone.  Thank you, and I hope that you still find the time to keep up with the game and it's development.

Now, about Alien Arena(a subject I love to discuss).  Since that release in Sept 06, there have been very dramatic changes and improvements to the game.  As you know, the CRX engine is a very heavily modified Quake 2 based engine, and at this point, very little of Q2's renderer remains.  We have pushed the effects much further since AA2k7 was released, and not only that, made them run considerably faster to boot :P  We've now added a number of new mutators and a new game mode(involving cows), and the base gameplay has been heavily modified and adapted into more of a UT style system.  We have also added/replaced a ton of maps, which are light years ahead of what was in the game when you reviewed.

The game currently stands at version 6.05, and version 6.06 is about 1 month away from being released.  If any of you are really curious, and would like to get a sneak preview of 6.06 you can grab unstable versions via SVN at svn://svn.icculus.org/alienarena/trunk at any time.  This is always our "latest and greatest" version of Alien Arena.  If you don't have SVN, you can also always try out version 6.05 at http://red.planetarena.org, which is no slouch itself, but as with every release, it will pale in comparison to it's successor ;)

Thanks, again, hope to see some of you guys back in the Arena :P

#28 Iendicis

Iendicis

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 05:34 AM

Whoa, a CEO.

I've never been a huge fan of Alien Arena, I have to admit, but my GOD it has the best graphics engine I have seen. Not because it's top of the line (which it is very close) but because it can look amazing on my piece of crap system. Very impressive and stable.

The only thing I don't agree with the main review is the weapons, which I feel are not quite as good at the excellent UT game (which I recently dug out and got into all over again). I also was a tiny bit sad after the assault mode, with a few wimpy vehicles...

Bah, not the time to game bash. A CEO is here.

:P

If the dude is still here, I'd like to know what will be in 6.06.
I have been informed that today is, in fact, opposite day, and what you've written there is absolutely true so you should probably just go.
Rabbleous rabblerousers. Christ on a bike. Quite naturally people took you for a lunatic. Your only salvation now is complete rest.

#29 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:29 PM

Welcome to AR Irritant. :P Thanks again for letting us know about the new changes that have happened in Alien Arena 2007 thus far and the ones to come as well. Thanks for the positive comment on the review, your team definitely did a fantastic job with the game and I did enjoy it quite a lot.

I do plan to keep up with the new versions of the game when I can, especially now with all the new changes that have been implemented, it sounds really great and can't wait to try them out (probably will wait for the 6.06 version, since that will be perfect timing because I go back to school at that time, and will be able to download it faster from school, bring it home to try it out) so continued best Irritant with the game and to all your team, and can't wait to get back to fragging.  ;)

#30 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:53 PM

I don't like much shoot'em'up fps's, but I tried this long ago and I think it is very well done and I couldn't find anything to really complain, except the genre.
...70 years... LOL

Reply to this topic