Yo!

#18 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 03:14 PM

Yeah been trying to do that for awhile, trick him out there, with no luck, bunch of different movement techniques and nada. :ok:

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#19 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2784 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 03:20 PM

spoiler said:

Notice how he is running away from you? How can you use that to your advantage?

Yo!

#20 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 04:20 PM

Can you post a screenshot of where you're stuck, Raffles? Maybe we can help :ok:
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#21 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 04:26 PM

View Posttaikara, on Jun 1 2006, 05:20 PM, said:

Can you post a screenshot of where you're stuck, Raffles? Maybe we can help :ok:
Here. I tend to get killed every time I've finally managed to get rid of one of the breeding roaches...

Attached Files

• Attached File  x.jpg   90.98K   131 downloads

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#22 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 04:35 PM

Just the level I arrived on now :)

Edit:
Yay! Made it.

Hint: At one point you will have to change your direction, and go back the other way :ok:

Yo!

#23 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 05:02 PM

@Raffles:

Yeah, these are the kind of puzzles that annoy me in this game - they're a lot less "logic" and a lot more "action."

You're not really "stuck," you just haven't been lucky.

There's not really much to spoil about this, but here you go:

Spoiler - Third Level: Once South - Twice West said:

Just work your way carefully around the room, counter clockwise - clear out an area of regular roaches & eyeballs until it's safe to proceed. Use the walls to your advantage to trap oncoming roaches to prevent them from swarming you from every direction - there are "safe spots" where roaches will only come at you from one direction, so familiarize yourself with exactly how the roaches move. Timing is everything with breeding roach rooms, so proceed after you've killed oncoming newly bred roaches, and move to a new "safe spot" once they're dead. Eyeballs only come after you after they've "seen" you (which you probably know), so be careful not to step into their line of site until you're ready for them.

Edit: And there's no "right" way to proceed - Tom apparently backtracked, but I didn't. Just be careful and follow the above advice.
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
doodoodoo!!!

#24 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 05:20 PM

Actually that's what I've been trying to do all along, but it has never worked for me...:ok:

#25 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 05:37 PM

How would you say your "swordmanship" is?

I guess I should also ask if there's a particular way you die?

There's all kinds of neat tricks with the sword to get yourself out of sticky situations. For example, you can either swing the sword back and forth to kill stuff, or move your body back and forth to kill stuff. If you've got two things on two opposite sides, you can take  backsteps to kill both of them (which way is dependent on which way you've got the sword pointed).
doodoodoo!!!

#26 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 05:41 PM

Indeed gotta be quick with the sword, backing up and swinging just right, gotta me out of a few situations, the sword is mightier than the pen in this case. :ok:

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#27 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 05:54 PM

View Posttaikara, on Jun 1 2006, 06:37 PM, said:

How would you say your "swordmanship" is?

I guess I should also ask if there's a particular way you die?

There's all kinds of neat tricks with the sword to get yourself out of sticky situations. For example, you can either swing the sword back and forth to kill stuff, or move your body back and forth to kill stuff. If you've got two things on two opposite sides, you can take  backsteps to kill both of them (which way is dependent on which way you've got the sword pointed).
Hmm, I'd say it's so-so. I've figured out the basics, but I wouldn't exactly call my technique refined.

I don't really have any particularly common way of dying, though, unless you count accidentally hitting the wrong key...

#28 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:12 PM

ooooh, Tom just reminded me of something - he was having trouble with the level he's on, and I told him he needed to move diagonally.

Like you, he has a numpad-free laptop, so if you haven't, make sure you've set up keys for the diagonal directions (Tom hadn't done so, which made me think of it) - moving diagonally can save your butt in many situations.

Not using diagonals can really account for some difficulties (some levels are impossible without it).
doodoodoo!!!

#29 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:15 PM

I've been trying diagonals as well, but it still doesn't help.:( I may give it a few more tries, but if that doesn't help I'll just give up...

#30 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:28 PM

Don't give up - at least try another room first, unless that's the last room on the level.

Keep in mind, some of these puzzles can be REALLY frustrating - the controls aren't the greatest, and they're not so much logic-based as action-based, so there is about as much luck as skill. I've died a thousand times already from going too fast, hitting the wrong key accidentally, etc. Going too slow can also kill you - in breeding roach rooms especially, if you take too long to kill off the breeders, it gets to a point that the blockades in the room won't hold back the tides of roaches.

When it comes to "swordsmanship," don't worry so much about pointing the sword in the right direction - that's part of it, but the bigger part is getting the sword into the right square. If you've got a roach to your direct west, and your sword is facing north, you'll kill it if you go southwest. If you've got a roach to your direct south, and another roach closing in on the west, and your sword is pointing southwest, don't swing your sword to the south to kill the first roach- move your body one square east, and then swing the sword to the west to face the oncoming roach.

Hopefully, words are enough, but maybe I should draw a diagram :P

Edit: And remember, it's turn-based, so as long as you don't perform an action, you have as long as you want to plan your next move. :(
doodoodoo!!!

Reply to this topic