30 replies to this topic

#1 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 03:51 PM

This was an idea was thinking about, as was looking through some of the collections, has your gaming tastes changed at all throughout the time you've been playing games, or have you stayed pretty consistent with the gaming genres you like now, then when you did way back when you first started playing them.

For me, yeah my tastes have changed somewhat, I still like platformer games from back in the day, action games are always entertaining for me, long as I do not play them too much, (which did recently with playing too many FPS's :))

However, my tastes have changed in the past few years though, I used to not like RPG's at all, remember when my friends would talk about Final Fantasy, would like tune out, or any other RPG, now love to play them. Same goes with fighting games, used to not be a fan of them, now pretty much like to play games like Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, etc...

Some games that used to like sports games, do not like as much as I once did, probably because do not own a console and having to get a good gamepad for the pc is what ya need to do to enjoy the games.

As well had a big strategy genre crazy like 5 years ago, that pretty much has faded into oblivion, so how about you, how have your gaming tastes changed or remained the same?

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#2 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 04:01 PM

Hmm... Nope, not really.

I started out with adventure, and still prefer adventure and RPG. I play games for the story, so most genres just don't get me interested nowadays. Despise FPS and sports (including racing, though I can enjoy a good racing game every now and again, and I have been known to play Tribes, Unreal, Halo, and a few sports games, such as NBA jams as a social gathering sort of thing).

Though, I have added strategy, sim, and action to the mix (provided the action still has an at least average story-line).

I'm so-so about platformers, though I loved Mario back in the day (but then again, who didn't?)

Edit: I forgot to mention puzzles... I like puzzle games, but they mostly end up boring the crap out of me, and always have. DROD was really refreshing, though.
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#3 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 04:25 PM

Action, even some sidescrollers, strategy both HC and clickfest, adventures, RPGs, sports, racing, flight sims, quite a variety, but that's the past. Nowadays, it's HC strategy, RPGs and FPS. Especially realistic. I'd play flight sims if I had a decent joystick, but I don't have.

Immediate edit: Tai, I didn't. :)
...70 years... LOL

#4 Frodo

Frodo

Your neck looks very... tasty!

• Admin
  • 9533 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 05:26 PM

I've always loved adventure games.  The story really draws me in, and I get so attached to the characters.  

I find racing and fighting games very boring, and fps are not much better.  

I like puzzle games, as it gets your brain thinking.  

:)
Please click on my dragons to help them grow -    Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

#5 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 05:40 PM

I used to play the click-the-picture-and-watch-something-happen games when I was like 3... And I started playing actionish sidescroller games(Hercules FTW!). Now I usually play strategy games and FPS. RTS to be exact.

Edit: Oh, and I play Kill-the-hobbits-in-the-dungeon games aka roguelikes(ToME).

#6 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 06:56 PM

I can't say my taste has changed, nope not really.

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#7 Sabreman

Sabreman

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:13 PM

Hmm... not so much changed, but rather there were a few genres I just never tried out until very recently. I've been playing games since the early 80s but only a year or so ago I got into RTS games properly. I mean, I'd played Herzog Zwei and Megalomania back in the day, but I'd never touched a Command and Conquer for example*

About this time last year I took a random chance on Rise Of Nations and it swiftly became one of my favourite games. I followed that up with things like Dawn Of War, and Total Annihilation. I also tried Civilization for the first time, with similar results. My PC game collection now leans heavily towards strategy games.

Apart from that I have stalwart favourites. Any kind of trading and combat game, whether they be Earth or space-based, shmups (which I tend to go crazy on in bursts then not touch for months - I'm currently getting back into them again). One genre I do seem to have fallen out with completely is the Japanese console RPG, while favouring a more western approach.

*and funnily enough, I've still never played a C&C.

EDIT: Blimey, I forgot Roguelikes! This very site introduced me to Roguelikes and I became obsessed with them. I could probably at a stretch abandon all other games and just play RLs for the rest of my life. Even though I'm crap at them.

#8 Japofran

Japofran

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 11:52 PM

Not really. I liked nobrainers for a while like everyone, but what I've always sought in games is  d e p t h. The first graphic adventure I played made me go "whoah, so there's more than jump/shot in videogames. As you can imagine I felt twice as much the same when I discovered Civilization and the whole strategy genre afterwards.

If you ask me what kind of videogames I like, and always have liked, I'd say: the kind that Microprose used to make. Also I think genres were a conventional classification, many legendary games don't fit half nicely in any single genre. Of course all games made nowadays fit perfectly, meh. When designing a game the first thing the developer thinks about today is what genre it will pertain to, and in my opinion that limits creativity, only already trodden paths are tried. If developers in the 80s-90s had done likewise, Pirates! or Star Control II would never have been created.
..oO Mustached Crusader of the PEEKOCKSWOOZZLE Order Oo..
"STFU and show me your screenies!!"

#9 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 11:56 PM

mmm.... Star Control.... :)
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#10 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 12:38 AM

Oh, my taste has definately changed. While I still prefer a good Adventure or RPG game, I discovered the wonder of Roguelikes. I had never thought I would be playing a game like ADOM for as much as I have - but then again, the RPG factor and story in that game is astounding. :)

Yo!

#11 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 12:38 AM

View PostSabreman, on Mar 17 2007, 11:13 PM, said:

Hmm... not so much changed, but rather there were a few genres I just never tried out until very recently. I've been playing games since the early 80s but only a year or so ago I got into RTS games properly. I mean, I'd played Herzog Zwei and Megalomania back in the day, but I'd never touched a Command and Conquer for example*

About this time last year I took a random chance on Rise Of Nations and it swiftly became one of my favourite games. I followed that up with things like Dawn Of War, and Total Annihilation. I also tried Civilization for the first time, with similar results. My PC game collection now leans heavily towards strategy games.

Apart from that I have stalwart favourites. Any kind of trading and combat game, whether they be Earth or space-based, shmups (which I tend to go crazy on in bursts then not touch for months - I'm currently getting back into them again). One genre I do seem to have fallen out with completely is the Japanese console RPG, while favouring a more western approach.

*and funnily enough, I've still never played a C&C.

EDIT: Blimey, I forgot Roguelikes! This very site introduced me to Roguelikes and I became obsessed with them. I could probably at a stretch abandon all other games and just play RLs for the rest of my life. Even though I'm crap at them.
You should buy the C&C: The first decade, comes with ever C&C game except sole survivor and C&C3: Tiberium Wars(the new one).

I have rise of nations :)

#12 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 04:53 AM

And it's only really worth it for the soundtracks and the giant ants :)
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#13 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 12:43 PM

View PostBeefontheBone, on Mar 18 2007, 06:53 AM, said:

And it's only really worth it for the soundtracks and the giant ants :)
You forgot dinosaurs.

#14 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:30 PM

I suppose so, although not really.

Lately I've been leaning more towards "German" style games (games which aren't too fast-paced, and are mainly about trading / building things up - like The Guild 2 and Stronghold) but I can play almost anything in my collection, which spans a whole load of genres, and enjoy it.

#15 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:27 AM

Think also for me I tend to get into limited phases as mentioned with some genres, like right now I'm in a puzzle phase where really enjoy puzzle games (and usually most times I'm not a fan) so its kinda intriguing to have these short spurs of liking games.

Adventures too another intriguing story, did not grow up with the lucasarts/sierra type games when I was a kid, so for the last 3-4 years been playing most of them, but still a long way to go like playing the Space/Kings Quest series of games.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,