24 replies to this topic

#1 Spike Bebop

Spike Bebop

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 05:51 PM

Well, I like Metallica, (and I mean proper Metallica as in before the black album) Gogol Bordello, Disturbed, Guns'n'Roses, Iron Maiden, King Diamond, Pink Floyd... But I listen to lots of other stuff too, like some Romanian bands, Queen, Megadeth, Nightwish, Nirvana, etc...

I'm more curious whether anyone likes or has even heard of Gogol Bordello and Disturbed...

This is basically the thread in which you share what you like, and find out if other forumers like what you listen to...

You can also debate about what album is the greatest, or sustain what you like, and so forth. Just general talking about what you and others like to listen to...

For example, what I really like about Gogol Bordello is that they're original and they meet up and sing, they don't really care if they sell or not, they do it...
Update Quest, Red Dwarf Demo, Comrade Citizen Part 1, Downloads, Forums, Updates, Fullyramblomatic.com, Adventure Game Studio, Osiris Games.
"Get on your knees and bow down to the Phantom Loooooooooord!" - Metallica
"Have you ever been to an American wedding? Where is the vodka, where is marinated herring?" - Gogol Bordello
"Get up, come on, get down with the sickness!" - Disturbed

#2 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 06:19 PM

The answer:

DeathDude

:shrug:

I listen to some of that, but my nerves can only handle most of it in small doses. It's not that I don't like it, that kind of music just gives me headaches.

"Proper" Metallica or Queen would be my favorites on the list.
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#3 Frodo

Frodo

Your neck looks very... tasty!

• Admin
  • 9533 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 07:32 PM

I'm a big fan of Guns N Roses.   :D   Are you looking forward to the Chineses Democracy album (yes, it WILL be relesed  :shrug: ) as much as I am?  

I also like a lot of Pink Floyd stuff, and Sisters Of Mercy.  I was recently introduced to a band called Gossamer.  Have you heard of them?  They are amazing.  I'm desperately trying to get hold of their album, but so far it has been impossible.  

:ok:
Please click on my dragons to help them grow -    Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

#4 RyGuy

RyGuy

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 07:44 PM

Paul Van Dyk, Armin Van Buuren and Ferry Corsten. European DJs. :shrug:
IPB Image

#5 Spike Bebop

Spike Bebop

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:52 PM

View PostFrodo, on Jun 23 2007, 10:32 PM, said:

I'm a big fan of Guns N Roses.   :ok:   Are you looking forward to the Chineses Democracy album (yes, it WILL be relesed  :shrug: ) as much as I am?

Well, let's just say I'm very curious as to how it'll be... But knowing my luck, its release will completely go passed me, and after a year, someone'll say "dude, Chinese Democracy was awesome", and I'll say something along the lines of "what now?"...
Update Quest, Red Dwarf Demo, Comrade Citizen Part 1, Downloads, Forums, Updates, Fullyramblomatic.com, Adventure Game Studio, Osiris Games.
"Have you ever been to an American wedding? Where is the vodka, where is marinated herring?" - Gogol Bordello

#6 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:58 PM

Tai is so right. :ok: Yup sounds like my kind of list, well mostly with the Queen, Maiden and Megadeth.

One day though Tai, I shall convert you to liking at least one metal band, one day. :D

Anyways though oh yes, proper metallica pre black album is classic and have listened to all their material up to black album after that, sorries can't bring myself to listen to that "hard rock" band, nowadays.

Iron Maiden is my favourite in your list, and my favourite metal band, with Dream Theater being a close second and perhaps either Pain of Salvation or Kamelot in number 3.

Favourite Iron Maiden album, tough but gotta go with PowerSlave, then with Seventh Son of A Seventh Son, then Caught Somewhere in Time, A Matter of Life and Death, The Number of the Beast, rounding out that top 5.

Dream Theater favourite albums, Scenes from a Memory, Systematic Chaos (There latest album, which has shot to number 2 in my list, Images and Words, Awake, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.

In terms of metal likeage, progressive metal at the top, power next, then thrash (Megadeth, Kreator,)

Other favourite bands, Pain of Salvation, Kamelot, Symphony X, Nevermore, Devin Townsend, Bruce Dickinson, Blind Guardian, Ayreon, Black Sabbath (Dio era) Dio, Gamma Ray, Edguy, Helloween, Iced Earth (Matt Barlow Era) Liquid Tension Experiment, Luca Turilli, Porcupine Tree, Primal Fear, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Rush, Judas Priest, Queensryche, Threshold, Adaigo, Angra, Rhapsody of Fire, Strapping Young Lad, Vanden Plas, Evergrey, Black Majesty, Halford and thats about it I think might be others which ya can always see at my lastfm list, shown in my link down below.  :shrug:

I recommend you some Devin Townsend (Solo era) stuff if ya like Pink Floydian style of music, very atmospheric, especially his albums Ocean Machine, Terria and Infinity.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#7 Spike Bebop

Spike Bebop

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:27 PM

View PostDeathDude, on Jun 24 2007, 12:58 AM, said:

Anyways though oh yes, proper metallica pre black album is classic and have listened to all their material up to black album after that, sorries can't bring myself to listen to that "hard rock" band, nowadays.
Now, I've tried listening to new Metallica, and a few songs are acceptable, like The Memory Remains (except the old lady bit, which is annoying...) Until It Sleeps, King Nothing, and the last 3-4 minutes of Bleeding Me (which sound great, they had a bit of luck there)...

I'd also like to note that proper Metallica also includes Enter Sandman and Of Wolf and Man from the Black Album, 'cos those are from before they cut their hair and started listening to idiots like Lar$ and Bob Rock...

And I'm telling you, DeathDude, and any other proper Metallica lovers, never, EVER listen to their live recordings from about 1999 onwards... Seriously... All I have to say is this: violins... in Battery... and Call of Ktulu... Even in Enter Sandman... it's bad... really, really, HORRIBLY bad...

Favourite Iron Maiden album, tough but gotta go with PowerSlave
Hey, mine too!

#8 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:31 PM

Pink Floyd! YES!

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#9 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:34 PM

Yeah Bob Rock really messed up their style, as did losing Cliff Burton, as he was a big part of their early arrangments of songs, some of the black album is pretty alright, the Load and onward era is just bleh.

Yeah that whole orchestra thing they did, was just so not meant for the band, it works with power metal bands, because of the epicness they convey in their songs, but metallica, uh no, their 1989 live album (that costs like 150 or so bucks, though is cools)

St.Anger was an even bigger step downward and least we know they can't make a record much worst than that, hard to say about their new album, thinking it might end up being black album part 2, or even load part 2, but beyond that, don't think it will appease a lot of the metallica haters.

edit: Have you heard the new Megadeth album, United Abominations? I personally think its superb, just as good as The System Has Failed, shame though that the band can't get much sales nowadays, here in NA.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#10 Spike Bebop

Spike Bebop

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:38 PM

I'm imagining Dave Mustaine going to Metallica to discipline them...

"Lar$, stop sucking! Now, boy! James, stop helping! Hammet, you're holding the guitar upside down, dammit! Trujillo, goddammit you're big, boy! You're good, rock on! Now, everybody, drink these five kegs! You've got ten minutes! Now, release a damn-good thrash album!"

#11 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 01:47 AM

I had a lot of to say, but apparently I can't say it. Anyways, DD is for a good metal, but as long as he's Canadian (=only good at Ice Hockey), he can't talk about metal... :shrug: SF!
...70 years... LOL

#12 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 01:52 AM

Er I think you should check Metal Archives, Canadian section about our bands Juni. :shrug: Such famous ones as Strapping Young Lad, Devin Townsend, Voivod, Anvil, and many others.

#13 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 01:58 AM

You're speaking of bands that we Finns don't even recognize "Metal"! :shrug:
...70 years... LOL

#14 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 09:18 AM

This is what Fins recognize as Metal:
Posted Image

\m/

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#15 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 11:50 AM

Btw, I forgot to answer your question: I've heard Disturbed, but only few songs. Interesting stuff and good sound. Gogol Bordello however is totally strange to me.
...70 years... LOL