#16 Sean

Sean

Just call me Mr. Magic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1265 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 04:08 PM

A. J. Raffles, on Mar 17 2006, 10:54 AM, said:

No, omnibi is definitely wrong, because 'omnibus' is dative plural, not nominative singular.:P
:( You're so amusing at times AJ. :)

Has anybody else here read Stephen Kings 'The Dark Tower' series?

As I said, I've read through 'The Gunslinger' and quite enjoyed it. I did get a little lost at times but that was more likely as a result of reading at way past my bedtime than sloppy writing. King himself has commented that his first few 'Dark Tower' books are a little rough around the edges. Does the writing get noticeably better as you progress through the series?
Me>You

#17 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 08:27 PM

Stephen King is starting to get old, his early novels were good (Carrie, The Shining, Bag Of Bones, The Green Mile) but as his career went on (Dreamcatcher, Cell, Hearts In Atlantis) he started to get stale.

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#18 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 08:44 PM

Blood-Pigggy, on Mar 17 2006, 08:27 PM, said:

Stephen King is starting to get old, his early novels were good (Carrie, The Shining, Bag Of Bones, The Green Mile) but as his career went on (Dreamcatcher, Cell, Hearts In Atlantis) he started to get stale.
Once again, thank you for your comments on the media of today.

Finished reading "Ten Days That Shook the World", which was pretty interesting, really (none of the covers on show are the one that I have, sorry!).

#19 Sean

Sean

Just call me Mr. Magic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1265 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 08:50 PM

Blood-Pigggy, on Mar 17 2006, 08:27 PM, said:

I started reading Dreamcatcher... stopped. Forgot why :(

My dad says 'The Talisman' by him and some other bloke is pretty good, is it?
Me>You

#20 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 08:53 PM

Read it for yourself and find out that way, rather than listening to anybody else's opinion first.

#21 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 08:59 PM

I'm looking for a good book on World War I history, but not some skimpy manual type thingy, I've been looking, but there doesn't seem to be much of a fully documented history out there.
If anyone has any knowledge of any good books based on that era, I'd be grateful if you could give me a tip.

Edited by BeefontheBone, 17 March 2006 - 09:44 PM.

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#22 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 09:02 PM

Lay off the harsh comments Pigggy, this isn't the place for it.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#23 Moogle

Moogle

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1035 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 12:09 AM

Hmmm, thanks beef, I'l try and check into thoose ^^

@ Sean: The Dark Tower is pretty good, although I kinda got bored of it once I got to the second to last book (Song of Susannah I believe), the Wolves of Callah (?) is pretty good. I love how he makes real life referrences to stuff in that series, verry neat, and you haven't even met Blaine yet, thats the best part in my opinion ^^. Although, just to warn you, they do get quite a bit longer and more ocmplicated, the first is rather easy reading in my opinion, still good, but a bit easy.

@Piggy, dear god...Carrie? You can't be serious...I HATED that book, took it on a trip to Europe with me, read it, and left it in the hotel room in France...blech.

#24 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 03:43 AM

the green mile isnt one of the old books,,, ok im plastered and cant spell plastered... uh... and im using commas instead of "..." so uh... yeah

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#25 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 04:35 PM

Okay, man can't be writing his novel all the time, so I picked up my dad's finding "Hitler's Arctic War" by Chris Mann and Christer Jörgensen.
...70 years... LOL

#26 Stroggy

Stroggy

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 07:26 PM

Well I eventually bought a Lovecraft omnibus book (the first one)

I chose this book mostly because - for some unknown reason - not one bookshop in town sold the collected works of Kafka (they only sold "Metamorphosis" which I have already read in German) and neither did they sell the Collected Works of Oscar Wilde or any seperate book for that matter.

#27 Moogle

Moogle

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1035 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 07:37 PM

Oh Oh Oh!!!
Oscar Wilde
That man is a god..... :(

#28 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 09:02 PM

Stroggy, on Mar 18 2006, 07:26 PM, said:

I chose this book mostly because - for some unknown reason - not one bookshop in town sold the collected works of Kafka (they only sold "Metamorphosis" which I have already read in German) and neither did they sell the Collected Works of Oscar Wilde or any seperate book for that matter.
Well, to be fair, it's highly unlikely that someone who wants to buy those titles will walk into any given bookshop more than once or twice a year. You can't really blame them for not stocking them permanently. They do need to make money, after all...
How long would it take to order a book in a Belgian bookshop, by the way? Apparently that's different from country to country.

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#29 Moogle

Moogle

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1035 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 04:45 AM

o_0
I go to bookstores alot...and just bought...
  • Oscar Wilde - Complete short fiction
  • H.P. Lovecraft - The call of cthulhu and other weird stories
  • H.P. Lovecraft - The lurker at the threshold
  • Oscar Wilde - The importance of being earnest and four other plays
They rock ^^

#30 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 04:54 AM

PrejudiceSucks, on Mar 17 2006, 10:44 PM, said:

Finished reading "Ten Days That Shook the World", which was pretty interesting, really.
I'm proof reading that one at the moment, and I'd like to take this opportunity to say that it's actually "freeware" at the moment. Meaning that you can read and download it legally from a number of websites, for example from this place. Of course, there is a good chance that you might be able to find it online in your native language.
Furthermore, it is my opinion that Carthage must be destroyed.