22 replies to this topic

#1 Doink

Doink

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 07:54 AM

Is it just me or are there more bots posting in this forum than actual members there does't seem to be this problem at Abandonia are there different filters running on this site?
Eternity is really long, especially near the end...

#2 Havell

Havell

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 09:47 AM

I think it's do do with the way that this forum uses a format (Invision Power Board) that is popular so there are bots written especially for attacking forums designed like this, whereas the Abandonia forum uses a modified system that automated bots find it very hard to navigate.
IPB Image

#3 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:03 AM

True cause on AB the account is integrated with the site so there is no usual login (xxx.com/forum/login) and registering procedure is different.

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#4 Dave

Dave

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 01:22 PM

Moreover there is a special filter at Abandonia, made by Data (one of the Admins).

#5 _r.u.s.s.

_r.u.s.s.

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 07:14 PM

the one which disabled registring new users? :rolleyes:
www.abandonia.com < www.reloaded.org
right now :(

#6 Dave

Dave

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 07:31 PM

No, you should perfectly know that wasn't it  :rolleyes:
We asked Data and he answered us. (Search into Mod space)
Probably one of the Admins touched a dangerous button when he was banning a n00b  :D

#7 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:40 AM

View PostDoink, on Feb 11 2008, 07:54 AM, said:

Is it just me or are there more bots posting in this forum than actual members there does't seem to be this problem at Abandonia are there different filters running on this site?
1) Different filters

2) This forum is dead like Princess Di.

#8 Doink

Doink

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:06 PM

View PostPrejudiceSucks, on Feb 12 2008, 12:40 PM, said:

View PostDoink, on Feb 11 2008, 07:54 AM, said:

1) Different filters

2) This forum is dead like Princess Di.

I agree it is dead but suggesting things like mearging the fourms did't go down so well on abandonia :rolleyes:

#9 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:29 PM

That's because that's an incredibly bad idea?  :rolleyes:
"I am on a hot streak... Literally"

#10 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:23 PM

FFS, what's with all that whining about merging the sites? Go AB, if you want huge, stay here, if you want small! :rolleyes:
...70 years... LOL

#11 Doink

Doink

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:38 PM

View PostJuni Ori, on Feb 12 2008, 10:23 PM, said:

FFS, what's with all that whining about merging the sites? Go AB, if you want huge, stay here, if you want small! :rolleyes:

I Like the games and forums on both sites, just think there would be more  discussions about games on this site if we could attract more members from Abandonia, maybe a "news alert" could be posted over there when ever an update is made over here, or something like that cause that would lead to more people trying these games out and then discussing them here which in turn would lead to a more active forum. I'm not whinning I'm sure we would all like to see more posts over here.

#12 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:06 PM

View PostDoink, on Feb 12 2008, 08:38 PM, said:

maybe a "news alert" could be posted over there when ever an update is made over here, or something like that cause that would lead to more people trying these games out and then discussing them here which in turn would lead to a more active forum.
Theoretically such a feature already exists on AB, but a) it's almost impossible to find on that awful new site unless you know where to look (you need to scroll down to "network headlines") and b) whoever is responsible for keeping it up to date clearly isn't doing a very good job, seeing as the latest two updates are missing.

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#13 Doink

Doink

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:13 PM

yeah.. I see that little network headlines box but it definately does't catch the eye it needs to be far bigger and the reloaded banner should be there as well. but I suppose this should be discussed over there.

#14 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:00 PM

just think there would be more discussions about games on this site if we could attract more members from Abandonia
That's where the logic unfortunatly fails miserably. AB is about old DOS games, AR is about new freeware games. Those two genres clashes together like cat and dog, and that is exactly why AR been created in the first place.

People like you and me who likes both site and don't mind hoping between them are not a big group of people. The main admins and updaters of this site used to ditch out AB after serving AB for a long time, which almost led to small wars in extreme case. It was pretty much more a split from AB than anything else, and the source of the dissention was the oppinion of everybody on how to handle certain category of games. The only other similar case I can think of would be the dissidents, which is not a great example either.

How could we even consider merging both distinct communities back again? Not only it would probably not increase the discussions about AR games much, but it would no doubt end up creating frictions in the medium to long run just like it happened in the past.
"I am on a hot streak... Literally"

#15 juanca

juanca

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 02:08 AM

View PostEagle of Fire, on Feb 13 2008, 04:30 AM, said:

just think there would be more discussions about games on this site if we could attract more members from Abandonia
That's where the logic unfortunatly fails miserably. AB is about old DOS games, AR is about new freeware games. Those two genres clashes together like cat and dog, and that is exactly why AR been created in the first place.

People like you and me who likes both site and don't mind hoping between them are not a big group of people. The main admins and updaters of this site used to ditch out AB after serving AB for a long time, which almost led to small wars in extreme case. It was pretty much more a split from AB than anything else, and the source of the dissention was the oppinion of everybody on how to handle certain category of games. The only other similar case I can think of would be the dissidents, which is not a great example either.

How could we even consider merging both distinct communities back again? Not only it would probably not increase the discussions about AR games much, but it would no doubt end up creating frictions in the medium to long run just like it happened in the past.

I totally agree.
And I believe these are only cycles, sometimes the forum is dead sometimes not, but something which is very important is to keep on posting and uploading good games and reviews!!  it is the way to keep alive the site and the forums. :rolleyes: