I wish that was all of York's problems.

#17 Microprose Veteran

Microprose Veteran

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 09:10 PM

In Holland we just have a lot of rain. Last couple of years the Summers have been unbearably hot though. We've had an early Summer this year. The heat has passed already. It's okay now.

Some parts of Holland suffer from floodings because of improved channeling of water in Germany (which is higher up-river) and because the climate seems to be changing.

EDIT: regarding hurricanes, be glad you don't live in Bangla Desh or Indonesia (Tsunami).

I've never been without power for more than 24 hours in Holland.

#18 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 09:16 PM

Microprose Veteran, on Jul 9 2005, 09:10 PM, said:

EDIT: regarding hurricanes, be glad you don't live in Bangla Desh or Indonesia (Tsunami).
Tsunamis are actually earthquakes that originate in the ocean (tidal waves). They have nothing to do with weather patterns :)

About those pictures I posted.... 3 out of the four went directly over the area where I live. Of those three, in two of which, the eye actually crossed directly over my town.

Whee.
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#19 Microprose Veteran

Microprose Veteran

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 09:53 PM

No, Tsunami's have nothing to with weather patterns.

I'm sorry, I was under the impression we were talking nature causing human problems/suffering.

By the by, it's my belief that every region has something like this they deal with, be it hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, tsunamis, etc. I'm a bit curious what sort of natural disasters you guys are used to dealing with, if any.

Since you first mentioned them, I thought it was safe to mention Tsunamis in different countries causing devastation and loss of human life.

And I know Indonesia does not suffer from hurricanes so here I was too hasty, my mistake. Btw, hurricanes are called typhoons in East-Asia.

#20 Himmler

Himmler

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 10:07 PM

Ooops...my mistake

#21 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 10:14 PM

Microprose Veteran, on Jul 9 2005, 09:53 PM, said:

No, Tsunami's have nothing to with weather patterns.

I'm sorry, I was under the impression we were talking nature causing human problems/suffering.
I am confused. I think this was my mistake, hehe.

It was the "Regarding hurricanes" bit that threw me off, I thought you were saying that hurricanes and tsunamis were the same thing :)

My bad ;)

We are talking about natural disasters of all kinds, so tsunamis are definitely within the subject range.
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#22 Microprose Veteran

Microprose Veteran

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 10:29 PM

Seems I was a bit hasty myself. :)

I mentioned hurricanes, Bangladesh and Indonesia (Tsunamis) in one line so it's no surprise you misunderstood me.

Sometimes I type almost as fast as I talk. ;)

#23 Havell

Havell

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 12:06 PM

In Coventry we get the occasional high winds that knock a couple of people's chimneys over.  Apart from that I can't think of anything else that happens.  We're even on top of a huge hill and I've figured out that rising sea levels due to global warming (which is happening) won't affect me!  Yay! :)
IPB Image

#24 Doc Adrian

Doc Adrian

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 12:48 PM

Northern Illinois/Chicago in the US we got Tornados and severe thunderstorms once in a while but the tornados are pretty rare and the thunderstorms don't do that much damage here.
We have a severe drought right now and the crops look like crap, and we seem to go from too much rain to not enough every year, but nothing really that compares to the hurricanes down there.
And occasionally we get snowed in..back in 1973 I guess we had a blizzard that went up to peoples second story windows.
IPB Image
another great Signature and Avatar by Taikara -Thanks Tai

#25 Himmler

Himmler

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 03:55 PM

My town got flooded :)

#26 Abi79

Abi79

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 04:00 PM

Himmler, on Jul 12 2005, 03:55 PM, said:

My town got flooded ;)
Really ?! That's go... I wanted to say bad. ;)

Just joking. :)
IPB Image

#27 Himmler

Himmler

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 04:18 PM

the power of the river is increasing...and i'm very close to it...distance between 2 houses next to each other+it's raining continously + they released some water at the dam too....so if i won't be online for the next day ..it means that my mother didn't pay the bills on time.... :)

#28 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 12:05 PM

taikara, on Jul 9 2005, 09:16 PM, said:

Microprose Veteran, on Jul 9 2005, 09:10 PM, said:

Tsunamis are actually earthquakes that originate in the ocean (tidal waves). They have nothing to do with weather patterns :)

About those pictures I posted.... 3 out of the four went directly over the area where I live. Of those three, in two of which, the eye actually crossed directly over my town.

Whee.
I thought the tsunami was the actual wave, but that it's caused by an earthquake.

It's gotten cooler here now *phew*. We had a period when it was 40 C, now it's down to a nice 18 C. I don't think I need to tell anyone that my favorite time of year is autumn.

#29 Himmler

Himmler

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 12:26 PM

all there days are suffocating me...40 C every day  :)

#30 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 07:15 AM

Mdag, got to be southern Sweden!!! I'd be dying there. Btw, possibly coming to visit your beautiful and largest island, just forgot it's name. Any recommendations what wanna-be historian has to see there?

What's worst that can happen in country next to east? Summer? Hot summer? Here (Finland btw, if somebody didn't know) was almost two months too hot for me. Well, there's always beer of course to cool me down but being bit drunk 24/7... well, sounds finnish summer yes, but it still isn't quite clever, is it?
:)  ;)
...70 years... LOL