#1 Sean

Sean

Just call me Mr. Magic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1265 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 01:16 PM

Hey.

Is there any chance of getting a new shoutbox?

This one worked for me when the site launched but now like Abandonias one I just get a 'Page Cannot Be Displayed' error whenever I try to 'Shout'. I know other people have had similar problems in the past because i remember browsing topics and seeing whineing about it. It's not that big a part of the forum but it'd be nice to partcipate every now and again. Could somebody suggest a fix or give us a new one?

I'm important enough to change the entire site surely?  :ot:

Maybe this should go in troubleshooting, thats for games though isn't it?

Either way, anybody got any ways to solve the problem?

Using IE,XP and 1MB connection.
Me>You

#2 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 01:24 PM

IE?? Eeeeeek
Try another browser, works fine for me...

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#3 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 01:25 PM

It works absolutely fine in Firefox...

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#4 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 01:28 PM

I use IE and have little to no trouble.

Wonderfull sig and avvie by Taikara :D

#5 Sean

Sean

Just call me Mr. Magic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1265 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 01:55 PM

I don't get it then.

Everything else on the site works fine, this just times out.

It works very rarely and it used to work perfectly before, anybody know whats going on?

IN ADVANCE:

Please don't tell me to upgrade to firefox or you might be closer to my foot than you'd like. I can't upgrade and it's that simple. I shouldn't have too either, remember our lovely admin team cater for every audience. Not just you.
Me>You

#6 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 02:20 PM

Actually, it sometimes doesn't work for me with Firefox, but that's pretty rare.

Plus Firefox takes about 3 seconds to get, don't be a lazy-arse. IE's fraught with problems that Firefox has fixed, plus it's got tabs and things.

*edits*

Also, I'm going on the point you made, Sean. As you said, you can't just pander to individuals' needs. You might use IE, but most people use Firefox. That simple.

#7 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 03:53 PM

Actually it seems to works fine in IE, though.:ot: Are you sure you're not using an old version of IE, Sean?

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#8 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2953 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 04:23 PM

Just to confuse everyone, it doesn't work at all well for me in FF (no idea about IE) but I suspect that's my network's settings somewhere along the line.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#9 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 04:30 PM

There was some talk a while back when this first started happening of writing our own "shoutbox" code which would be hosted on our own server, for both AB and AR.

However, the person who was going to take on this project is busy, I think, and I'm not sure what happened to it, as I haven't heard anything more regarding the status for many months now.

However, if this is ever actually completed by anyone, we would need to privately test it thoroughly and receive Kosta's approval before it could actually be implemented - using a "homegrown" program can lead to security issues if not all bases are covered.
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#10 Frodo

Frodo

Your neck looks very... tasty!

• Admin
  • 9533 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 04:31 PM

I use IE, and the Shoutbox works fine for me.   :ot:
Please click on my dragons to help them grow -    Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

#11 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 05:15 PM

Well I use IE and Firefox and have had no problems, only time I did was at school when sending messages via shoutbox, but that's only because school's using a proxy and a bunch of other things.  :ot:

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#12 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 05:37 PM

And the answer came from the distance, it whispered "IRC channel, IRC channel..."

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#13 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 05:43 PM

Well uh we've had the discussion about IRC channels before dude.  :ot:

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#14 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 05:44 PM

I know, but this is reloaded, not AB...

#15 Sean

Sean

Just call me Mr. Magic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1265 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 06:09 PM

I can read the shoutbox fine it updates and everything it's just when I try to post that I get a problem. Maybe I do need to upgrade my IE, I'll check it out.
Me>You

Reply to this topic