The Quest To Zooloo - Full Talkie (62mb)

34 replies to this topic

#31 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 01:08 PM

BeefontheBone, on May 27 2005, 12:40 PM, said:

*shudders*
At the thought of somebody being a fan of Joe Pasquale or at the thought of somebody NOT being a fan of Joe Pasquale?

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#32 MasterGrazzt

MasterGrazzt

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 10:20 AM

It looks to me like Yotam here is intentionally trying to go for a minimalist sort of style in his art, the best word I could use for it is... Kindergarteny. It reminds me of something a really talented five year old would draw. That's by no means an insult. I always love looking at that kind of stuff, it's so funny, cute and just puts a smile on my face. I hope you understand what I mean.

I'm guessing the art kind of has a Chris Ware... well, probably more like David Heatley, intent to it, (Now I'm breaking out the indie comics references... This site really does bring out the art haus snob in me :)) as in trying to convey an idea with simple iconographic sort of images that are not muddled by being detailed. Of course, I could be looking into this whole thing too much, which I tend to do. You probably just wanted to make your game look like silly, bouncy fun... for the whole family. And no, there's nothing wrong with creating a product that can be enjoyed by literally everyone.

To make this whole diatribe relate to adventure games, the art reminds me of the weird classics Captain Mostly Drinks Bleach (Oh dear god, that was one of the most insane games I've ever played. I was in a feverish delerium by the time I finished, sweat beading on my brow, ready to do something like eat my carpet. It needs to be on this site. I'll write a review.) or Reality On the Norm: Nihilism.

I'm going to download it now, but I'll play it tomorrow. I'm just too exhausted to appreciate it at the moment. Then I'll come back with my comments.
user posted image

#33 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 10:57 AM

MasterGrazzt, on May 30 2005, 10:20 AM, said:

I'm going to download it now, but I'll play it tomorrow. I'm just too exhausted to appreciate it at the moment. Then I'll come back with my comments.
Wait a minute... So you mean that detailed comment you gave just now was  based on the screenshot? :) Amazing.

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#34 YotamElal

YotamElal

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 02:23 PM

The Dono Off button turns off "I don't know what to do with it".

EDIT:  Ooops I didn't see this third page...

It is very funny to read so much and then find out that it's all based on the screenshot. :).

(Edited by Beef: Please refrain from multiple posts. Thanks.)

Edited by BeefontheBone, 31 May 2005 - 04:41 PM.

#35 MasterGrazzt

MasterGrazzt

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 08:10 PM

Heh, I don't know. I've just become very good at analyzing art styles and the intent behind them. I've taken a few courses and workshops about it and similar things, my dream is to become a comic book writer, and to be good at it you have to really mesh with the artist and know... what they're all about. I'm far from an expert, I really just sort of pretentiously said something very simple: The art in your game is cute and fun.
user posted image

Reply to this topic