19 replies to this topic

#1 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 07:27 AM

For the sake of curiosity, I'm throwing this one out here.

I've had many discussions with people over the years regarding body modification and whether it's an acceptable form of self-expression, or whether it's simply a form of self-mutilation. And, of course, anything in between.

So, what do you think?
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#2 Aureliano

Aureliano

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:07 AM

I think it is a necessity for most people to disapprove the use of such artifices, and for parents to be nazi about it.
I don't know but I've been told
Deirdre's got a Network Node
Likes to press the on/off switch
Dig that crazy Gaian witch !

- Spartan troup song -

#3 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:10 AM

I think it can be a little of both at times, especially when it goes overboard with some people and they are getting tons of tattoos and or tons of piercings, but sometimes it can be fine, when done in good taste.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#4 Stroggy

Stroggy

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:57 AM

I think it is a form of self-mutilation... especially those lip- and nose-piercings.
I remember once I went with my class to attend a lawsuit and the defendant had a pierced lip. She constantly had to dab it because saliva would come out from between the piercing and it was nearly impossible to udnerstand what she was saying... it was repulsive.

Tattoos are pretty much the same thing, they're all gaudy and ugly these days.

These features are usually seen on people who claim to be members of the global counter-movement and this is their way to show their resistance to "the system"
I'm pretty sure this counter-culture would have a lot more succes if its members would study and use their knowledge in order to resist this so called "system".

Other uses for piercings and tattoos are religious or philosophical, and far is it from me to critisize the traditions or customs of people.

#5 Sean

Sean

Just call me Mr. Magic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1265 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 09:07 AM

I think tatoos are generally ok unless taken to extremes.

As for piercings I do no particullary like them.
Me>You

#6 Aureliano

Aureliano

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 09:10 AM

Stroggy, on May 14 2005, 08:57 AM, said:

Other uses for piercings and tattoos are religious or philosophical, and far is it from me to critisize the traditions or customs of people.
So essentially your post is one step forward and two steps backward.

- Spartan troup song -

#7 Stroggy

Stroggy

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 10:16 AM

No, I am saying mutilating your own body as a form of protest or to be trendy is wrong. But if it is done out of religion or tradition I can't critisize it since, for example, circumcision is a form of self-mutilation.
I would also critisize somebody who wants a circumcision just for the heck of it (to be trendy or whatnot), and not because of religious or sanitary reasons.

#8 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2953 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 10:22 AM

A good tattoo or a couple of piercings I can cope with (and a GOOD tattoo will make me quite jealous), but some people do go overboard with it. I'm definitely not sure about flesh holes in the earlobes - some people definitely take it too far there!

To quote Bill Bailey, the comedy genius / medieval roadie, "Some people just go too far - you see people with a face like a portcullis. You can spot the ones who haven't checked themselves in the mirror in the morning 'cos they've got fridge magnets stuck to their faces."
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#9 Aureliano

Aureliano

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 10:33 AM

We'll leave circumcision out of this one because it has proven sanitory benefits and therefore it's usage can be legitimated outside of pure belief.

So you are criticizing/justificating the reasons behind an act, not the act himself. I'd say this is intellectually bankrupt, considering that tradition and conformism are one of a kind in my book.

You say that religious and/or traditional people are more worthy of respect than just the regular stupid teen, for a mysterious reason. So when someone does something stupid like mutilating oneself, it's allright if they thinks there some kind of voyeur up there that cares about what they're doing down there ? Or because they think that this is the right way to please said entity ? Or just because they think that's the right thing to do, because an abstract and timely social definition of the common good says so ?

Seriously, how is that any smarter than doing it to look cool ?

Let's just cut the crap with tradition. It's does not deserve any kind of special treatment.

- Spartan troup song -

#10 Stroggy

Stroggy

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 10:46 AM

I didn't say doing it out of religious reasons justifies the act, I'm saying I'm not in a position to comment on mutilating ones own body if it is out of religious/traditional reasons. There is a difference.

#11 Aureliano

Aureliano

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 10:58 AM

Well, your choice.

- Spartan troup song -

#12 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 11:13 AM

I think it's childish and most people do it to amaze their friends and piss of their parents (depends of the age), it's really just another fashion...

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#13 Puffin

Puffin

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 12:13 PM

I've got 6 piercings, but can only use 4 at the time. Don't ask, stupid reason.

All of them but one are in the soft area of the ear, one is on the top of my left ear.
Right now I just use two of them, on the soft place.

I will get a tattoo when I'm old enough. I've been thinking of getting a similar as my dad has on his forearm. He's had his since he was 18 years old.
user posted image
©Kiddiarni

#14 TheVoid

TheVoid

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 01:32 PM

I think that everyone's free to cut/pierce himself wherever he/she/it wants. It depends on the typology of the stuff wether it's good or not. As long as it doesn't go beyond the boundaries of common sense and good taste, a tattoo or a piercing can be a nice kind of ornament.
Not too keen on tongue piercings - I try to put myself in that condition, and I'd hate to have some iron-tasting stuff in my mouth most of the day. Plus I've seen somewhere some kind of iron buttons-stuff you can put under your faceskin to look like horns. THAT's ugly.
God Shave the Queen!

#15 Sebatianos

Sebatianos

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 04:31 PM

It all depends.
I mean basically all cloathes and jewlery (for earings you need to get holes in your ears too) are to some extend a form of self expresion - but because people got so used to that they took it a step further.
In the past tattoos and piercing were a from of stating something (it depends on the tribe that used them) - just like body painting. Today that tribal ritual is gone and it has become fashionable to do it. So you'd attrack more attention to your body (that goes for any kinds of implants as well). So it's more a fashion statement then anything else.
Or a statement that you wish to present yourself as something you're not.

I mean if you see a biker with a skull tattoo on the right arm - it's almost natural (it would be more surprising to see one without). But if you see a rebelious suburbian teenager with one - then it's usually just a poor attempt of being the 'though guy'.