73 replies to this topic

#1 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 05:47 AM

Was thinking this idea earlier, so thought would ask, what are some strange, weird or bizarre habits you may do when playing a video game? Be it related to the game itself or outside of the game.

Like for example I sometimes stick out my tounge when playing a game, not a lot think it's when I get really concentrated with a game, which results in some chapped lips later on. :huh:

Also for some reason I'm always the one in A First Person shooter, to start shooting from my gun out of nowhere when no enemies around, to make sure I'm ready I suppose.

I'll also hum the game music at times just for kicks even if it's a bad track, just will start humming it out of nowhere.

Mostly with the older games, would like to pause the games when my character or an enemy did something cool, just was interesting to see for kicks.

So what are some of yours? some other examples ya could use:

-Spending a longer than usual amount of time leveling up in an RPG
-Making sure to collect everything in a game the first time around, like in RPG's GTA, and so on.
-Shooting inanimate objects in a FPS

So anything that ya care to share that you may think is a bit quirky or strange, do so I for one won't judge.  :bleh:

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#2 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:46 AM

Hmm, you know, this does make you sound a little obsessive...:bleh:

I suppose I don't really have any habits or rituals like that except in ADOM, perhaps, where I spend lots of time pickpocketing gremlins in the dwarven graveyard. But that's mainly because you can actually get some very nice items that way.

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#3 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:06 AM

After playing Operation Flashpoint cooperative (vs. AI or other players) I've noticed I'm conditioned in certain situations, especially in opening fire. As you may know, it's not too easy to detect hiding enemy in OFP, giving you real chance to ambush. So we practised to open fire simultaneously to cause as much casualties as possible before enemy takes cover. Nowadays if I hear loud shot next to me that I'm not prepared for - be that sniper shooting too far me to even see - I open fire too. Usually it's only a round or two, but it still makes me feel stupid.

One other thing, again in FPS, when I'm waiting for something that requires unnaturally quick reflexes, I hold my breath - to the edge of collapsing. I just close everything out and stare the screen, consciously holding my breath, so I can hear even better sounds from my headset. Once I started feeling a little bad, as I waited, and waited, and waited... Then I finally spent mere fracture of a second to think about breathing and quickly breathed out and in - and right then that sob decided to advance across the street I was guarding. By sheer luck I managed to hit him several times with my PKM in a last moment (remember, this was OFP, two hits would have been enough).

Heh, one more came to my mind - and this is in every possible genre imaginable. I always try to see behind obstacles by moving my head... Makes you feel dumb, eh?
...70 years... LOL

#4 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:54 AM

The only thing that comes to my mind is an almost obsessive tendency to explore every nook and cranny of dungeons in RPG's, even hallways I know only lead directly back where I came from and contain nothing interesting. Was a very, very nasty habit in Daggerfall and (to a lesser extent) Arena.

Wonderfull sig and avvie by Taikara :D

#5 Frodo

Frodo

Your neck looks very... tasty!

• Admin
  • 9533 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 02:51 PM

I tend to mimic the actions of my character, in adventure games (not intentionally).  

For example if my character turns left or right, then I lean left or right while sitting in my chair.  If my character ducks to look under something or avoid something, then I duck as well.    :bleh:
Please click on my dragons to help them grow -    Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

#6 greywolf

greywolf

The Wanderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 04:00 PM

When I'm playing an FPS (which isn't really that often) and something jumps at me out of the shadows, I scream like a little girl. Actually, it's not that bad, although I do get scared *really* easily - which is why I hate horror movies, headcrabs, and the flood.

As for ADoM, whenever I feel a surge of power or find some worn boots lying on the floor (or see shining silver bracers, for that matter), I let out a screech of joy and hastily proceed to equip said items (or in the case of the guardian, quickly annihilate it before equipping the artifact).

#7 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 04:10 PM

im so obessive compulsive its pathetic. like doubler i too have to search through everything in RPG's  (actually any game) that can really get on your nerves in a final fantasy game :bleh:

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#8 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:34 PM

View Postgreywolf, on Nov 5 2006, 04:00 PM, said:

As for ADoM, whenever I feel a surge of power or find some worn boots lying on the floor (or see shining silver bracers, for that matter), I let out a screech of joy and hastily proceed to equip said items (or in the case of the guardian, quickly annihilate it before equipping the artifact).
For some reason I misread that as "I feel a surge of power when I find some worn boots lying on the floor" and thought you were referring to actual boots lying around in your room.:bleh:

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#9 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 12:15 AM

Operation Flashpoint - no matter how low a chance I have of hitting, I always fire at tank gunners if they're turned out.

Even at about 150m, with a pistol, if that's all I have.

Great when it works. Not so great if I miss :bleh:

#10 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 03:02 AM

In Duke Nukem 3D (multiplayer), I used to fire and "waste" ammo when there was no ennemy in sight only to keep my opponent stressed. Especially in games that you can't really make the difference of distance when you hear a shot...

In Diablo II, I have this tendancy to always complete all the quests and map all the map when playing singleplayer...
"I am on a hot streak... Literally"

#11 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:52 AM

View PostPrejudiceSucks, on Nov 6 2006, 02:15 AM, said:

Operation Flashpoint - no matter how low a chance I have of hitting, I always fire at tank gunners if they're turned out.

Even at about 150m, with a pistol, if that's all I have.

Great when it works. Not so great if I miss :bleh:
Heh, I've done the same, but mind you if I correct you that any of the pistols don't do any harm over 100m. It's more like throwing small stones if you'd hit. But I know what you mean. I, as I was for some reason usually carrying a lmg/saw, usually tried to get the enemy drive through my line of fire, carefully planned to certain angle, where I get them both by short burst. AI controlled tank commanders usually abandon the tank after that and what they can do against "dug in" lmg/saw with their small arms? :huh: Btw, don't do it in open and you'll have chances to survive even if you miss! :D
...70 years... LOL

#12 Puffin

Puffin

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:34 AM

When I'm playing Unreal Tournament, I tend to shoot just anything.. Even when I'm alone, I'm just shooting in the air.

When I'm playing on my Sega mega, I tend to pull up the controller when I'm jumping, like that's going to help.

One of my WoW characters is a skinner. I get really obsessed about skinning EVERYTHING I find. Which can annoy my coplayers  :bleh:
user posted image
©Kiddiarni

#13 Japofran

Japofran

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 05:05 PM

I'm the control freak type. Whenever I play real time strategy I'm pausing the game every ten seconds to do half a minute of management or tactics, and in RPG I'm always double-triple-etc-checking the equipment, spells, etc. :_D
..oO Mustached Crusader of the PEEKOCKSWOOZZLE Order Oo..
"STFU and show me your screenies!!"

#14 greywolf

greywolf

The Wanderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 05:20 AM

View PostPuffin, on Nov 6 2006, 02:34 AM, said:

When I'm playing on my Sega mega, I tend to pull up the controller when I'm jumping, like that's going to help.

I used to do that too! When I had a NES, anyway... but that was a long time ago.  :sneaky:

#15 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 12:58 PM

I laugh maniacally when I defeat an opponent. I don't know why, but it's fun. :sneaky:

Also I usually search every nook and cranny in (Old School) FPS games.