13 replies to this topic

#1 DannyMc252

DannyMc252

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 03:29 PM

Well, I just got an email supposedly from Lloyds TSB telling me I have to reactivate my account.
But, see, I dont have a Lloyds TSB account.

The message:

Dear Valued Customer,

- Our new security system will help you to avoid
    unauthorized access to your account and keep your investments safe.

- Due to technical maintenance we need you to reactivate your account

Please click on the link below to proceed:

[Link supposedly to Lloyds TSB site]

We appreciate your business.It's truly our pleasure to serve you.

Lloyds TSB Customer Service

This emails for notification purposes only.To contact us,
  please log into your account and send a Bank Mail.

The link, however, is just text (Like a click here link) pointing in reality to This Fake Site  (Don't enter anything, please!)
Never knew that Lloyds TSB were there.

The scam even has a link to the main site's security page (http://www.lloydstsb.com/security.asp) with a clearly different layout. And, oh look, It even tells me that they'll never ask for my details!

People..
user posted image
Meep?

#2 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 03:36 PM

Yup those phisers this is getting more and more common, the ones I've seen have been from ebay and paypal trying to get account info, some even go really far to make a legit site, sad to see this happening and that people believing this.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#3 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 04:11 PM

Do you think it's a good idea to post their links, though? You never know, a stupid person who also happens to have a Lloyd's account might click on it by mistake and accidentally enter his confidential information... OK, maybe not.

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#4 DannyMc252

DannyMc252

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 04:20 PM

there, that should keep even stupid people from doing stuff
user posted image
Meep?

#5 a1s

a1s

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 06:19 PM

DannyMc252, on Aug 11 2005, 04:20 PM, said:

there, that should keep even stupid people from doing stuff
what did you do?

by the way, the things seems to actualy go and check if the information is correct... how nice :)
Those of you being liberal-art majors � don�t worry, advanced mathematics were largely omitted from this text in concern for your mental health.

QUOTE (Mighty Midget)
if BP has potied on Twilight Zone episode, I will strangle him

secret adept of the PICKALLONWEASEL order

#6 DannyMc252

DannyMc252

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 06:21 PM

I edited out a few of the links and stuff
so
User: YouAreA
Pass: Sucker
will be checked? :)
user posted image
Meep?

#7 Doc Adrian

Doc Adrian

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 01:14 PM

Another nasty trick is a few people try to call and collect money for bills that don't exist....my friend closed his pay pal account and some guy tried to call and charge him fees.

They stopped calling as soon as I said..send an authorized bill to the regular mailing address and give me your name and office number.  Amazingly they never called back again.
IPB Image
another great Signature and Avatar by Taikara -Thanks Tai

#8 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 06:54 PM

Yup they just keep trying to do these things these phishers, it keeps happening and they are trying so hard to make the sites they spoof to be ligit, thankfully with some of the new browsers like Netscape's one and Firefox I think comes with the feature it shows if a page is spoofed, that should help people with not much knowledge with this sort of thing from falling into these scams.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#9 Abi79

Abi79

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 11:45 AM

This may or may not be a stupid question, but what's a phisher ? :)
IPB Image

#10 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 11:56 AM

I make the same stupid question. Vague feeling what it might be.. but better let'em explain.
...70 years... LOL

#11 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 12:24 PM

Abi79, on Aug 13 2005, 11:45 AM, said:

This may or may not be a stupid question, but what's a phisher ? :)
Basically somebody who tries to trick you into passing on sensitive data (like your credit card data, passwords, etc) to him so he can rob you by sending you a fake message alerting you about something and then directing you to a fake security page. I doubt that's the official definition, but it's something along those lines. Those messages are usually sent out to loads of people just so a few will fall for it. I suppose that's where the "fishing" bit comes from.

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#12 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 03:16 PM

This board over here warns of some phishing scams that are going on and that other users have encountered,
http://castlecops.co...rdly_Deeds.html

#13 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 02:44 PM

Phishers are just proper bastards. You can easily tell when you're getting hassled by them you, due to there being messages from banks/companies which you have no affiliation to.

Other scams include ones which are like 'I need $1000 to invest in Serious Putty, if you help me then you're guarunteed at least $24999 back!

I got one 'from an oil sheikh' that said that he needed some help to invest in bigger oil stocks, around £10000 of my money. This is odd, because other than in my trust fund I don't have that kind of money.

#14 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 04:43 PM

Yup those are annoying to say the least, they are getting more and more craftier too I remember about a year ago got a letter from this company in Spain saying my dad had won a large amount of money and that he needed to send bank info and all that stuff, credit card to them, and not to tell the bank or anyone about this, uh huh righttttttttt :)