190 replies to this topic

#151 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2953 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 08:15 PM

Might have to count me out of this one, unless the pie entry stands - forgot all about it and am off on holiday on thursday. dang.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#152 Himmler

Himmler

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 01:33 PM

the best i could...the remake of the flag...i'm too tired to start anything else

Attached Files

#153 Himmler

Himmler

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 06:23 PM

so tai...decide who will win on whatever sig you want...

#154 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 08:38 AM

Correct me if I am wrong on this one, but... Isn't there only one signature that has entered the competition? :)

Yo!

#155 Himmler

Himmler

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 10:25 AM

actually there are four...
1>AJ lemon meringue pie
2>me lemon meringue pie
3>Beefonthebone lemon meringue pie
4>me The flag remake(mithology)

Might have to count me out of this one, unless the pie entry stands - forgot all about it and am off on holiday on thursday. dang.

#156 DannyMc252

DannyMc252

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 11:06 AM

I want the pie.. please..
and a new sig..
user posted image
Meep?

#157 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 03:02 PM

I'm a little confused, because there's only one sig that fits the actual topic.

In the interest of fairness, I suppose I'll drop the flag one (sorry Himmler) and judge the pie sigs, as all three of you posted one of those.
You guys can either continue with the mythology theme, and I'll judge that one in the next round, or I can go ahead and post a score for it as an honorable mention, and you guys can continue with a new theme.

Posted Image
Himmler

Theme: 4.0 - two pies up!!

Artistic: 3.0 - It's a nicely balanced design, but the text isn't all it could be, and does take away from the balance. Try using a center alignment when you have a carriage return. It also somewhat lacks creativity.

Technical: 3.5 There isn't much image modification on this pic, but I'm going with the assumption that you used the wooden background and cut out the pies and used a drop shadow.

Overall: 3.5

Posted Image
BeefontheBone

Theme: 4.0 - Pie + Pun  :)

Artistic: 3.2  - Nicely balanced placement and text, but the colors of the pie are somewhat atrocious ;) It sort of makes your eyes go straight to the leftmost corner and get stuck there.

Technical: 3.5 - you cut out the pie and colored it, but there's not really anything that makes me think it was a technical masterpiece.

Overall: 3.6

Posted Image
A. J. Raffles

Theme: 4.5 - Pie + Literary reference + Pun  ;)

Artistic: 4.0 - The placement and position of the pie image and text are excellent, and everything comes together very nicely. The only thing I can think to criticize is that the colors could use some tweaking to make it a little more eye-catching.

Technical: 3.0 - You cut the background and the text directly from an image, but you did add the pie and the "e" to the word "pi". Also, you added a border, so you got some points for that.

Overall: 3.8

Winner of the Lemon Meringue Pie Battle: A. J. Raffles!!!
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#158 Himmler

Himmler

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 02:39 PM

It sort of makes your eyes go straight to the leftmost corner and get stuck there.

although the colors are not well picked he should have more points exactly for the fact that your eyes go straight there and stay there, your eyes must not be all over the place, only at the center of interest(that's how it sounds in romanian...), underlining the subject-lemon meringue pie.

#159 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 02:55 PM

:)

Well... sorry to contradict, but anywhere I've ever studied design principles, a design that causes your eyes to get stuck in one spot is not considered a good thing.

Sure, you're supposed to have a focal point, but a good design is also supposed to draw your eyes throughout the whole, so that you are able to appreciate the details of the work.
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
doodoodoo!!!

#160 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 03:08 PM

I have to agree with taikara on this one. Signatures are considered art-pieces, and thus should have a nice flow. The viewer should look all over it and appreciate the details, thus a sig should not have an "eye-locker".

The only thing taikara has done wrong in her judging is to assume that Beef coloured that pie himself. He didn't. That was how the resource pic was... so he should've gotten a lower score for that (as he did not do anything). :)

Yo!

#161 Himmler

Himmler

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 03:09 PM

but a good design is also supposed to draw your eyes throughout the whole, so that you are able to appreciate the details of the work
well the details must be included in the center of interest..at least that's what i studied the whole year...of course there could be many details but the most "active" colours must be in the center of interest.

#162 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 03:26 PM

Tom Henrik, on Aug 6 2005, 03:08 PM, said:

The only thing taikara has done wrong in her judging is to assume that Beef coloured that pie himself. He didn't. That was how the resource pic was... so he should've gotten a lower score for that (as he did not do anything). ;)
*cough, cough* In that case my score should have been much lower, since I didn't really do much either. It was meant as a joke, really...:)

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#163 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 03:32 PM

You got the highest marks for the thematic and artistic components of your design, Raffles.

My technical grading slope goes like this:

0 - cut out directly from a pic, nothing done
1 - cut out directly from a pic, border added (or something similarly simple)
2 - cut out directly from a pic, editing done
3 - uses cutouts from a resource pic
4 - uses more than one resource pic
5 - uses a self-made background and more than one resource pic

I use one of those descriptions as a starting point, and add and subtract points according to what I think has been done to the sig (which might not be accurate, but if it looks like something's been done, I'll give it credit, even if it hasn't really).
doodoodoo!!!

#164 Moogle

Moogle

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1035 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 04:55 AM

Ummm, this is just a sugestion, but could we have one competition for people with paint, and one for photoshop/other? Cause you can do a whole lot more with photoshop than with paint  :)

#165 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 07:55 AM

Moogle, on Aug 8 2005, 04:55 AM, said:

Ummm, this is just a sugestion, but could we have one competition for people with paint, and one for photoshop/other? Cause you can do a whole lot more with photoshop than with paint  :)
Don't get Tom started on this...;)

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks