15 replies to this topic

#1 Fawfulhasfury

Fawfulhasfury

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 02:22 AM

I strangly urge everyone to check out this freeware fan Indy adventure. It's being made by the most talented AGSer's around, and will probably be the game of the year when it's released. It is Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth, and from the looks of its art and graphics, it'll be even better that FOA. Check it out here

:)
Pi stinks, tastes horribles, and I hate it! But cake is good...

#2 LordHart

LordHart

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 08:28 AM

Heh, but thats the problem dude. m0ds and Screen 7 have been making that game for years now. The demo was supposed to be out 3 years ago, and the game was supposed to be released the year after that.

Hell, they revealed they hadn't even started coding until late last year. It is, in the AGS community the biggest in-joke of all about its release. The story is great, the character art is great, the music by m0ds is like usual, great from him, and the background art by Miez is beyond magnificent (and if you want to check out how he does it, try his brilliant tutorial from the site), but I wouldn't want to be waiting for it with baited breath.

I say it'll be out in a year... no wait, two years time. Wait, thats too modest... 3. :)

edit: Holy crap, I just checked the site and they're looking for coders now and they've only really started developing a demo of it now... man, they're even more behind schedule than I originally thought. Change it to 4...

#3 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 09:09 AM

That's the problem when you start a very ambitious, unpaid project. If people suddenly realise that it was too ambitious and drop out, the people who're left are gonna be in trouble. AFAIK all ambitious freeware projects, th<t have actually given a release date (as opposed to just saying "it'll be done when it's done") have suffered delays, although usually on slightly smaller scale than this game.

It does look very good, though, and the fact that they're not only working on it, but are actually updating their homepage, tells me that it might actually be finished some time (although I'm certainly not going to try to predict when).

And they may not have started coding yet, as far as I can see, the biggest workload in making an adventure lies in the artwork and/or in the storyline.

Thanks for link Fawful.  :)
Furthermore, it is my opinion that Carthage must be destroyed.

#4 LordHart

LordHart

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 09:22 AM

True, but 5 years of planning and artwork and no coding is WAY too long. It's practically doing a DNF, but like... not changing engines every month. :)

#5 Stroggy

Stroggy

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 09:33 AM

Wouldn't it be droll if it turns out all the screenshots were just made in photoshop, that they don't have anything except for a few manipulated screenshots... oh that would be quite droll, indeed! But if the project doesn't sink to the ocean floor, it could turn out to be very good.

#6 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:34 AM

Ooooh me like!  :)

#7 DonCorleone

DonCorleone

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 02:51 PM

Well, it seems the demo is out since a while...

#8 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:08 PM

Still doesn't really look like they're going to finish it anytime soon, though...:bleh:

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#9 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2784 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:51 PM

Yeah, it will take some time to finish :bleh:

Yo!

#10 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 05:32 PM

Yeah well no rush I say long as the effort and motivation is there to make it good, they should take their time. :bleh:

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#11 Sabreman

Sabreman

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:49 PM

Good luck to these guys, but I can't believe Lucasarts's lawyers won't be all over this if it gets anywhere near a release :bleh:

#12 DonCorleone

DonCorleone

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:54 PM

Ssshhh... don't say those bad words... :bleh:

Maybe you're right. But as long there's hope...
And I've waited several eternities for this cute demo. So destroying my illusions is a bit harsh!

EDIT: I know this is offtopic. But why isn't it possible to upload avatars? I always get an error-message...

#13 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:01 PM

Odd. Have you checked your cookie settings?

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#14 DonCorleone

DonCorleone

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:09 PM

No, I haven't. But at abandonia's forum it's not a problem at all...

#15 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:37 PM

Clear cache, clear cookies, clear history, reboot and if still doesn't work save in different format like jpeg, png, etc... sometimes the odd avi has an issue if it's in a certain format noticed.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,