#16 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 06:42 PM

Well I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to find my weakness. :tai:

But anyways sounds interesting the plan of action if this was ever to go ahead, I do could lend a hand with whatever needs attention. :unsure: Graphics/music for example. :bleh:

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#17 Frodo

Frodo

Your neck looks very... tasty!

• Admin
  • 9533 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 10:03 PM

A brilliant idea, Tai.  Our very own 'Virtual Reloaded' site.   :tai:

It does sound complicated to code though.
Please click on my dragons to help them grow -    Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

#18 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 10:40 PM

It wouldn't really be much more complicated than it would to write a pen-and-paper RPG system (or a roguelike) or any other system that involved stat-based success or failure events. Programming is about logic, nothing more, nothing less.

For example

Criteria:

If person A has Stat 1 > 6, and Stat 2 < 3,
then Generate Event D (successfully meets criteria).
Stat 1++ (stat gain)
else Generate Event E (failure to meet criteria).
Stat 1-- (stat decrease)

Random:

onturn, call function(generate random number 1-10)
If random number = 1,
then generate Spam event
else if random number = 10,
then generate Flamewar event
else if random number = 5,
then generate BadContent event,
else generate No Event.

Stat Battle:

If Admin has Stat A > than Member's Stat B,
then generate Admin success event.
else generate Admin failure event.

It obviously gets more complicated the more you want to include in the game, and the criteria events and stat battles should be more complicated to give the impression of realism, but beyond that, as long as you can think of something in terms of a million if-then-else statements, you can do whatever you want.

But I probably would want some help on a project like this, because it would take forever to actually code and debug it, which is the reason I gave up programming. I'm pretty good with semantics, but the syntax makes me want to kill people.

I think it would be fun to come up with the total developed idea, though :tai:
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#19 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 11:37 PM

Hmm, what sort of stats are we talking about, by the way? I'd suggest
  • Intelligence (marks the main difference between a clever manipulative troll and a dumb crudish one)
  • Eloquence (determines whether a character makes short or waffly posts and how interested he is in arguing)
  • Literacy (5p3ll1n n gr4mm3r n stuff; also determines whether a character is easily misunderstood, which may be the starting-point for a flame war)
  • Aggressiveness (determines how cranky a character is to begin with and how likely he is to snap and flame / troll others)
  • Dexterity (determines how well a character is able to dodge attacks, his skill to attack others successfully and - for a member of the modding classes - ability to sort out tricky situations)
  • Boredom (determines how much time a character spends on the forum and how likely he is to stir up trouble just for the fun of it)
  • Spite (the evil side of a character - just how malicious is he in his actions?)
  • Spamminess (self-explanatory :tai:)
  • Charisma (a high value may help to reduce the effect of other negative stats, like high Spamminess; useful for modding classes as well.
Can't think of any others at the moment; I'm getting a bit tired, actually...

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#20 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 12:07 AM

Well, to make it easier on myself, I would probably use some sort of switch for the random forum-based events such as spamming, trolling, etc.

You would then choose your reaction to those events (warn, ban, verbal response, ignore, attack, etc). Then, your own stats would determine how successful your action was, and would be modified dependent on your chosen action.

For example, if you chose a verbal response against a Spam event, it would use your own Eloquence, Charisma, and Intelligence stats against the involved member stats of Intellegence, Disposition, and Judgement stats (if it is a named member), and against randomly-generated stats for a non-named member.

Based on the success or failure of your action, then there would be a random modification to certain other general stats, such as Popularity and Forum Control. And, if you're lucky/unlucky, a modification to your personal stats.

So, I would need various personal stats for "forum battles", and I would need to use the outcome of those battles to effect general stats. The general stats would be used to determine criteria events, such as crew members deciding to quit (let's say two general stats are Influence and Forum Control, then if they drop low enough, you have a chance to lose a crew member), or rogue admins (Let's say your Popularity and Forum Control are high, but Influence is low).

I like your personal stat suggestions, though, Raffles, very close to what I was thinking myself :tai:

If I want to make it tough for myself, I think I might try those Boredom, Spamminess, and Spite stats as general stats to determine event scenarios.
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#21 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 12:35 AM

There should also be a possibility for serious members to start spamming - if they drop below a certain criteria. (Maybe because they get bored if no-one reply to their topics?) :tai:

Yo!

#22 Frodo

Frodo

Your neck looks very... tasty!

• Admin
  • 9533 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 02:13 AM

What about rewarding people if they do a lot for the site?  For instance, if they do a lot of updates or reviews etc.   :unsure:

We could even reward Raffles with a doll if she replies to Tom's topics.   :tai:
Please click on my dragons to help them grow -    Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

#23 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 12:36 PM

Frodo, on Dec 16 2005, 02:13 AM, said:

What about rewarding people if they do a lot for the site?  For instance, if they do a lot of updates or reviews etc.   OMG

We could even reward Raffles with a doll if she replies to Tom's topics.   :unsure:
Oh, but if my sensitivity gets too high I might turn into a whiny troll: "You all hate me and are all picking on me, just because I'm an easy target - waaargh! :bleh: - I hate you, you unsympathetic gits.:tai: "

^_^

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#24 Abi79

Abi79

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 11:03 AM

taikara, on Dec 16 2005, 03:07 AM, said:

If I want to make it tough for myself, I think I might try those Boredom, Spamminess, and Spite stats as general stats to determine event scenarios.
Spite ?
IPB Image

#25 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 03:25 PM

Yes, Spite would be what I have in abundance :tai:

Yo!

#26 Abi79

Abi79

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 04:53 PM

As you say, but what's that "spite" ?

*25 seconds later*

1. Malicious ill will prompting an urge to hurt or humiliate.
2. An instance of malicious feeling.
Oh, and you are full of spite... :tai:
IPB Image

#27 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 04:56 PM

I pick the goodies behind door number 2 :tai:

Yo!

#28 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 07:42 PM

The Goodies? What have a bunch of comedians got to do with AR?
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#29 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 08:05 PM

Oooh! Oooh!

Could I have low-quality updates, that take AGES to get done, and pretty much the maximum spite and aggressiveness?

On the other hand, I've got above average literacy!

I'm not a crew member, though, so my part in this will probably be non-existant/limited.

*edits*

I can help with some of the music, I have a few eJay programs, can play keyboard and also sing.

Edited by PrejudiceSucks, 18 December 2005 - 08:06 PM.

#30 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 08:08 PM

If I have understood it correctly, the idea is to include everyone as potential crew members and/or spammers :tai:

The player determines who he/she wants as a crew member.

Yo!