8 replies to this topic

#1 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 07:48 AM

FreeOrion, an open-source game inspired by Master of Orion, is a turn-based game of epic space strategy that builds on the classic '4X' model by incorporating the nation-building elements of games such as Europa Universalis 2 and a versatile tactical combat engine. While its modular, open-source design allows for a significant degree of customization of the game engine and the story elements by the community, the FreeOrion team is dedicated to the construction of a living, breathing universe in a 'grand campaign' model.

Posted Image

#2 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 09:10 AM

This game has a lot of potential. I can't wait until it's finished.

#3 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 12:30 PM

I agree, this looks very promising. I was among the many, many people who waited eagerly for years, for MOO3, only to be immensely dissapointed when it came out. I hope this game will be more of a "back-to-the-roots" experience. Thanks for the link.
Furthermore, it is my opinion that Carthage must be destroyed.

#4 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 06:33 PM

Best 4X game I've played is Space Empires IV Gold. It's really superb. Second place is reserved for Master of Orion 2.

#5 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 06:52 AM

*bump*

Progress on this one seems to be somewhat slow... Looking at the roadmap it still has a bit to go before it's anywhere near finished.

#6 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 02:49 PM

:bleh: New update at the site!

#7 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 03:18 PM

Looks awesome! *is afraid to download*

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#8 hurleybird

hurleybird

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 10:55 PM

I think that the best 4x game was the original MOO. It had a simplicity to the interface that has never and will never be matched. Very minimal micromanagement, and a system of sliders to control your colonies. Brilliant.

#9 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 08:43 AM

I agree with hurleybird, but perhaps this will beat even it? Well, I have to take a look when I have time.
...70 years... LOL