104 replies to this topic

#1 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 02:58 AM

So, my idea is a sim somewhat following the vein of Princess Maker 2, only somewhat more simmish than RPGish.

You start out as one of two playable characters - myself or Tom.

You are given a fledgling freeware site, and your goal is to attract as many users to your community as possible.

Each playable character has different strengths and weaknesses that affect how users react to them. For example, members and crew would react better to me at the beginning, but Tom would start with more influence with the other admins and Kosta.

You would have various stats that would be adjusted dependent on how you handle situations that arise in the game.

You have a starting NPC staff that consists of Kosta, Data, Braindead, Maikel, and whichever PC character you chose not to play. From there, you can recruit crew from a list of our more active members.

Each NPC would have stats based on their actual personalities, and you would encounter "random" events with various admins and members. Your reactions to those events would determine various factors, such as the control you have over the site, the amount of work your crew does, the number of members who join the site, the features that you can add to the site, etc.

Each person you can recruit as crew would affect the site in some way or another. If you recruited DD, for example, you would have a higher likelihood of having timely updates, whereas if you recruited BeefontheBone, you would have higher quality updates. You can also assign different crew members to different crew positions (Updater, mod, interviewer, etc).

You would be able to check the forums, which would tell you if a situation has arisen that requires attention, such as a member flaming another member. If situations on the forums aren't dealt with properly, your community quality will go down, which will also cause your site quality to go down.

You would have options on how to treat your crew - such as praising them, scolding them, ignoring them, etc., which would effect the functionality of your site... and if you're not careful, your crew will begin quitting on you.

You would also have to convince other admins to support your decisions through a variety of methods. The less the other admins support you, the more "rogue" actions they will take on the site. You would have to convince Kosta to add features to the site which would affect the community stats.

The game would end after a certain amount of time, at which point you would receive an ending which summarized your rule, or until you have driven the community into the ground.

I was just kicking it around in my head today, and I think it sounds kinda interesting, hehe.
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#2 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 03:01 AM

:unsure:

:tai:

I would definatly play this game! :bleh:

Yo!

#3 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 03:03 AM

You forgot to mention Tai that by adding myself you would have a fine vocalist/metalhead for music related things that you could use to promote the site hehe :tai: kidding kidding

If something like this ever did get moonlighted I'd play it. :unsure:

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#4 Moogle

Moogle

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1035 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 03:12 AM

That would be oretty cool :tai:, but, I'm curious, that when fighting flamers n bad guys Tom uses paint to draw pictures (hehe) if he were to suddenly acquire Photoshop would it be an upgrade became Photoshop is supperior (admits it!) or would it be a downgrade, cause for Tome Photoshop=the evils!
?
o_0
sounds like a cool idea, I hopes I'd be in it...:unsure:

#5 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 07:09 AM

how bout just downloading the Invision software and doin the real thing? :tai:

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#6 Qbix

Qbix

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 09:15 AM

Hmm would be quite an undertaking to model the NPC to be realistic I suppose :tai:

#7 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 11:08 AM

if you recruited BeefontheBone, you would have higher quality updates.
Booyah! I *knew* I rocked :tai:

Interesting idea Tai. You could have disruptive members joining as random events, perhaps one who really annoyed everybody but produced some OK reviews, just to pluck an example at random from nowhere...
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#8 Abi79

Abi79

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 11:47 AM

Great ideea :unsure: Maybe even include as a secret the passwords for the admins? :bleh: :tai:
Interesting to see how this would be implemented. It is somewhat hard, I think, to make a game which simulates a site and it's forums (people would have to post in those forums, no?) Maybe, someway, make the game to need internet and update the forums based on a file which would contain every post/topic. It seems hard to do OMG , but who knows ?
IPB Image

#9 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 01:21 PM

Oh, so does that mean I'll be getting a doll for my birthday in order to increase my sensitivity? Now isn't that just great... :tai:

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#10 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 01:35 PM

Just a word of warning, though...
The first one who buys a Summer Dress and tries to stuff my PC into it gets an effective 7 days ban :tai:

Yo!

#11 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 01:47 PM

Tom Henrik, on Dec 15 2005, 01:35 PM, said:

The first one who buys a Summer Dress and tries to stuff my PC into it gets an effective 7 days ban :tai:

Oh, don't worry, we'll put you on a diet first.:bleh:

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#12 Sean

Sean

Just call me Mr. Magic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1265 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 05:45 PM

Interesting idea that would be great to play. Taking it online and having rankings between us all would lead to some great laughs I bet :tai:

Programming such a game would be pretty damn hard I bet :unsure:
Me>You

#13 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 05:46 PM

Tom Henrik, on Dec 15 2005, 02:35 PM, said:

Funnily enough, there's a surprise reward for the first person who does that to mine :unsure:
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#14 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 05:58 PM

Actually, if I didn't focus so much on graphics, it might not be as difficult.

I could use a simplistic, clean (but nice to look at) graphical interface that used buttons and menus to navigate, and when an event took place, the return message from the user involved would be identified by their forum avatar.

The most difficult thing would be developing the actual system - PC and NPC stats, and how what would affect what. "Special events" could be determined by certain criteria (special stat requirements), such as a rogue admin takeover, whereas "Random events", such as a newbie spammer, could be determined by a random number generating function.

But if you plan it all out first, it's a lot easier to put something together.

It's been AGES since I've actually programmed anything, and truth be told, I probably am so rusty I wouldn't be able to do it without help, or lots of books, since I can barely remember any syntax whatsoever, but the biggest obstacle is always the plan, not the programming.

And deciding what language to use. (But really, as long as you're good with logic, you can program in any language, given a good resource).

Oh, and the debugging. That sucks a lot, too.
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#15 Sean

Sean

Just call me Mr. Magic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1265 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 06:35 PM

When you say simplistic do you mean a text based graphical interface?

If so I'd be happy to lend a hand if you ever need some help with imagery work.
Me>You