#1 chrknudsen

chrknudsen

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:58 PM

Hello everybody!

For the past 4 or 5 months I've been working in my spare time on an ascii game based on the classic Privateer (my absolute most favorite game!). I've got most parts of the actual flight engine worked out and am currently working on the bases and interaction with the characters in the game. Anyway, I'd like to post a few screenshots and get some feedback. As the entire game will be made up of ascii characters in 16 different colors (such as Adom), this game will mostly be for the retro-gamers out there.

Here are the screenshots:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The ship (the green #) is a Tarsus, by the way. :D

Regards,
Chris Knudsen

#2 Japofran

Japofran

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 10:43 PM

Awesome. My most emphatic encouragement.

**Suddenly interested in finding out what actually was Privateer**
..oO Mustached Crusader of the PEEKOCKSWOOZZLE Order Oo..
"STFU and show me your screenies!!"

#3 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 07:36 AM

Looks pretty interesting!
...70 years... LOL

#4 chrknudsen

chrknudsen

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:36 AM

View PostJapofran, on Jan 11 2007, 11:43 PM, said:

Awesome. My most emphatic encouragement.

**Suddenly interested in finding out what actually was Privateer**
Privateer is a game that takes place in the Wing Commander universe. You should really check it out. It can be downloaded for free at Home of the Underdogs.

#5 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 02:30 PM

I loved worm wars(didn't play the amount it deserved though D:). I just bought a new game, I'll try this when it's out.

#6 chrknudsen

chrknudsen

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:36 AM

View PostPotatoe, on Jan 12 2007, 03:30 PM, said:

I loved worm wars(didn't play the amount it deserved though D:). I just bought a new game, I'll try this when it's out.
Well, it won't be out for a while. I still need to program a LOT of stuff, such as the bases (you'll be able to walk around the bases, talking to everybody -- some people will have missions for you, others won't), navigation maps, AI, missions, all the systems/galaxies, the plot, and so on...

I think it will take at least a year before I have a demo finished. The demo will feature 5 systems with about 10 different bases. You'll be able to fly around in your ship, complete missions, and upgrade your ship, but the demo won't have a plot.

#7 JimmyJ

JimmyJ

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:44 AM

Sweet, i love ascii games, can't get enough of 'em :D

#8 chrknudsen

chrknudsen

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:52 PM

I finally managed to get three video clips of the game -- took me a couple of hours. I filmed the screen with a digital camera, then transfered the files to my stationary computer, then converted the three 15 mb AVIs to much smaller WMVs. The quality isn't very good, but they should give you an idea of the game:

http://www.asciisect.../07-01-15/1.wmv
Here I encounter another ship (a Talon, but that's pretty hard to see) and shoot at it until it explodes. As I haven't programmed the AI yet, the Talon doesn't move or anything.

http://www.asciisect.../07-01-15/2.wmv
Here I pass by a planet. I can't land on it yet, as I haven't finished programming the bases (planets, asteroids and space stations).

http://www.asciisect.../07-01-15/3.wmv
Here I jump to another system. The jump point at the other system is surrounded by asteroids, so I shoot at them a bit. Then finally fly into one too many and explode.

I haven't done all the sounds and music yet, so there's only one tune playing in these clips and not all sound effects are working.

#9 chrknudsen

chrknudsen

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:11 AM

The activity on these boards seems to have died down a bit, so I've continued to post updates on a different board:

Wing Commander CIC Messageboard

There's been quite a bit of progress on the game during the last month. You can follow the progress at those boards.

#10 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:01 AM

Looks very impressive! Keep up the good work, I want to see this finished!
...70 years... LOL

#11 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 09:33 PM

You know, I don't really play this kind of game, but I have to give you props for your ASCII screens, they're sweet.

I might actually try it when you finish up :ok:
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#12 chrknudsen

chrknudsen

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 07:15 PM

Juni Ori: Don't worry. I'll definitely finish this game. I'm highly motivated and I've come this far, so bar any unforseen events, it will be finished.

taikara: If I can convert just one player to textmode games, then my job is done! :ok:

#13 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 07:42 PM

I think you'll find she meant she doesn't play space sim-type games - most of us at AR are pretty au fait with ASCII :ok:

Incidentally, if you've ot already seen it, Dwarf Fortress is an amazing example of the power of text graphics you might want to look at, plus it's a great game in its own right. The screens you've posted achieve the feat of not looking like ANSCII at first glance - very impressive :wall:
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#14 chrknudsen

chrknudsen

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:44 PM

View PostBeefontheBone, on Feb 7 2007, 08:42 PM, said:

I think you'll find she meant she doesn't play space sim-type games - most of us at AR are pretty au fait with ASCII :ok:
Ahhh, okay then. Well, if I can convert a player to space sim games, then even better! OMG

View PostBeefontheBone, on Feb 7 2007, 08:42 PM, said:

Incidentally, if you've ot already seen it, Dwarf Fortress is an amazing example of the power of text graphics you might want to look at, plus it's a great game in its own right. The screens you've posted achieve the feat of not looking like ANSCII at first glance - very impressive :wall:
I've heard about Dwarf Fortress before, but never really checked it out, as I got the impression that it was way more strategic than I normally go for. I'll be sure to give it a try, though.

EDIT: I've posted some more screenshots at the other message board I linked to, if you haven't seen them already... :)

#15 JimmyJ

JimmyJ

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 12:51 AM

Although dwarf fortress actually uses open gl :ok: Ever notice the beards on the dwarves??