Strategy Games

70 replies to this topic

#1 Frodo

Frodo

Your neck looks very... tasty!

• Forum Wizard
  • 9533 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:17 PM

If you would like to review any of these games, please send a PM to Frodo, or simply post in this thread.

Thanks.  :whistle:  

Strategy

1848 - Turn based Strategy game based on the Hungarian war for independence in 1848-49.

Advanced Strategic Command - Battle Isle remake.

Ata - Turn-based strategy set in the American Civil War: a tribute to the old classic North and South.

Aevum Obscurum - Aevum Obscurum aka Das Tausenburgenspiel is a free online turn-based multiplayer strategy game, where you take the reigns of a budding empire and struggle against fellow players for control of Europe.

Battlelords - Turn-based strategy.

Bos Wars - Invasion is a Battle of Survival real-time strategy game using the Stratagus game engine.

BZFlag - A 3D tank battle game.

Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun - Set in the early 21st century, Tiberian Sun once again pits the Global Defense Initiative against the Brotherhood of Nod in a struggle for control of the planet.

Conquest - A Linux-based, real-time, multiplayer space warfare game.

Cows: Attack Of The Horny Big Breasted Mammals - Cows are back in town and full of ammo! Lead two troops - gray or brown herds - to victory in a war for territory!  Your objective is to annihilate all the enemy cows on each battle before they crush yours!

Crimson Fields - Battle Isle remake. As a bonus, you can import maps from the original Battle Isle if you happen to own the game.  

C-Evo - A Civilization freeware clone.

Dark Oberon -Open source real-time strategy game similar to Warcraft II.

Drone - Drone is basically a top-down shooter combined with a tower defense combined with a RTS with a bit of driving sim and rpg in there. You kill enemies to collect money which you may then spend on weapons, ammo, armor, buildings, or vehicles.

Dune Emulator, The - The DUNE Emulator is an implementation of the Avalon Hill classic boardgame 'Dune' for the PC.

GalaxyHack -Allows you to design a fleet of spaceships which can then be tested in AI script based battles against fleets designed by other players.

Gallipoli: The Game -As a commander in the Great War (WWI), you take on the role of leading the prime of Australia's armed forces as they launch an all-out assault on the Central Powers (the Germans, Austrians and the Ottomans).

Globulation 2 - RTS game which reduces micro-management by automatically assigning tasks to units.

Hedgewars  -  Hedgewars is a turn based strategy, artillery, action and comedy game, featuring the antics of pink hedgehogs with attitude as they battle from the depths of hell to the depths of space.  As commander, it's your job to assemble your crack team of hedgehog soldiers and bring the war to your enemy.

Kajaani Kombat - It is a Rampart-like game (old arcade classic) set in space.

King of Chicago - Capone used to call the shots. But Capone is up the river and Chicago is up for grabs. Violence, intimidation, bribery, treachery, and clout are your weapons as you battle the legendary Capone mob for control of the windy city.

KsirK - KsirK is a computerized version of a well known strategy board game: Risk.

LGeneral (Panzer General clone) - LGeneral is a turn-based strategy engine heavily inspired by Panzer General.

Liberal Crime Squad - A political role-playing/strategy game, with classic elements of crime.

MegaGlest - MegaGlest is an open source 3D-real-time strategy game, where you control the armies of one of six different factions: Tech, Magic, Egyptians, Indians, Norsemen Persian or Romans. The game is setup in one of 14 naturally looking settings, which -like the unit models- are crafted with great appreciation for detail.

Nuclear War - Ground Zero (remake of Nuclear War) - Remake of Nuclear War, a freeware game where you take the role of one of the five world leaders. Your only goal is to conquer the world by any means, without any regards to how many innocent lives you kill.

People's Tactics - A wargame in the spirit of Empire or Panzer General, but more than both of those titles. Combine furious hex-based mayhem, research and production trees, the ability to command land, air and sea forces and up to 10 players over hot-seat or PBEM.

rE/Generation - Remake of D/Generation. Something has gone horribly wrong at Genoq Biolabs, Singapore. You're just a courier, sent to the building to deliver a package. Now you're trapped inside, the security system has gone crazy, genetically engineered organisms are on the rampage and things look like they could get even worse...

Railroad Tycoon - The one and only, Sid Meier's masterwork, father of all Tycoon-style games.

S.W.I.N.E. - S.W.I.N.E. is a real-time tactical strategy game in which you must carry out extremely varied missions while taking advantage of the terrain and your units? special abilities. Your army?s abilities and strengths will then develop over the course of the game.

TA Spring - Total Annihilation thingy.

T.H.U.G.S. - T.H.U.G.S. is an urban conflict simulator with strategy elements similar to Risk.

Total Eclipse - In remaking Total Eclipse, we have been careful to recreate everything as accurately as possible but we have also made some improvements, added some secrets and included an online high score table for those that complete the game.

TripleA (Axis and Allies clone) - TripleA is a turn-based strategy game engine and Axis and Allies clone.

Walkover - Walkover is the ultimate Splatter-Strategy-Action-Game. Fight side-by-side with your friends against hordes of aliens. Be prepared for epic battles with several hundreds of enemies.

Warzone 2100 - Upon entering the game you land from your transport and establish your base. Here you conduct research, design and manufacture vehicles, build new structures and prepare your plans for global conquest. If the game goes badly you'll end up fighting last ditch battles here to defend your base from enemy attacks. The campaigns feature a main map which carries over from mission to mission, with other missions taking place on separate maps. An underrated commercial title now freely available (without movies or music, unfortunately).

Wicked Defence - Wicked Defense is a real-time puzzle strategy game where you have to build defense towers and cast spells to prevent incoming hordes of monsters from reaching their destination. In the game each defensive tower has its own characteristics such as bullet type, range and special effects among others, where many of such characteristics can be upgraded, making each tower completely customizable. The spells add a strategic one time defense that can be used in extreme situations where the defensive power of towers is not enough.

Widelands - Widelands is an open source (GPLed) real-time strategy game. It is built upon the SDL and other open source libraries and still under heavy development. If you knew Settlers I & II� (� Bluebyte), then you already have a rough idea what Widelands is all about. Yes, it is where the inspiration for Widelands came from.

WinSPMBT Main Battle Tank - a Play by Email tactical combat game by Shrapnel Games.

Worms of Prey - Worms of Prey is the new and free real-time Worms game for Linux, MacOS X, and Windows similar to Liero, Liero AI, Liero Extreme, Yet Another Liero Clone, NiL, and Wurmz!

Xconq (An advanced strategy game) - In addition to Xconq's "standard" game, which is similar to the classic Empire/Empire Deluxe games of years ago, the game library includes games for ancient civilizations, the Peloponnesian War, the Roman Civil War, Frederician strategy, Napoleonic strategy, Gettysburg at a brigade scale, the Russian revolution, the Normandy invasion, WWII at scales from tactical to grand strategic, Beirut street fighting, voyages of discovery and African exploration.
Please click on my dragons to help them grow -    Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

#2 razing32

razing32

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:07 PM

Ok uhm , i played Battleships Forever too. IS it available for a review ?

Although screenshots may take a while, sorry 'bout that.

May I ?  :whistle:

PLZ

#3 Frodo

Frodo

• Forum Wizard
  • 9533 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:40 PM

Yep, Battleships Forever is available for review.  Shall I put your name against it?   :(

If you are having trouble with screenshots, I recommend Irfanview.  It's very easy to use - you can set it so that you can take screenshots whenever you want, just by pressing a button.   :whistle:
Please click on my dragons to help them grow -    Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

#4 razing32

razing32

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:17 AM

yeah, you can put my name against it.

I think it will be done at most by the end of the week. i'm having some time constraints....  :whistle:

But yes, i can review it, and Ifranveiw is COOL  :(

#5 Frodo

Frodo

• Forum Wizard
  • 9533 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 02:43 PM

Done.  The review is yours.   :(  

But take all the time you need.  You don't HAVE to complete 50 reviews a day.   :shrug:

Glad you like Irfanview.   :whistle:

#6 razing32

razing32

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:19 PM

i know , but these reviews help me relax.

i find it fun to write them. it's a great way to unwind at the end of the day.

if i get annoying let me know  :whistle:

#7 Frodo

Frodo

• Forum Wizard
  • 9533 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:52 PM

Oh, I not complaining about it.  Don't worry about that.   :whistle:

#8 TheEvilOfMen

TheEvilOfMen

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:12 PM

Hmph! being my notoriously evil self, I would LOVE to review a few of these.

Here is the problem. I have an old POS computer, and I have NO IDEA how to take screens.

Could use some advice.

#9 Frodo

Frodo

• Forum Wizard
  • 9533 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:25 PM

Hey EvilOfMen.  You might find this Tips For Taking Screenshots thread helpful.   ;)

#10 Raangar

Raangar

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:28 AM

Can I do the review for Advanced Strategic Command - Battle Isle remake?

#11 Frodo

Frodo

• Forum Wizard
  • 9533 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:03 PM

You can indeed.   ;)

I put your name against it.

#12 Frodo

Frodo

• Forum Wizard
  • 9533 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:45 PM

Excellent news.  Command & Conquer is now freeware.   :P

So who would like to review it for us?   :P

#13 Nick

Nick

Tech-Support Guru

• Admin
  • 6055 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:52 AM

Awesome. :P

Not much a player of it though.  :P

#14 TotalAnarchy

TotalAnarchy

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:13 PM

I'll take Widelands, please. It will be ready sometime in May, probably.

#15 Frodo

Frodo

• Forum Wizard
  • 9533 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:59 PM

Excellent!  I put your name against it, Anarchy.  :P

Thanks.

Reply to this topic

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com