87 replies to this topic

#1 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 10:38 PM

Okay, so last friday a good friend of mine and me rented a couple of movies. They were The Curse of El Charro and The Darkling. When we got back we checked IMDB before putting a movie on. It turned out that one had gotten 3.7 and the other 3.8, and they thoroughly deserved it I might add.

This kind of thing happens, but when my friend and me rents movies it happens every single time. I can't even remember the last time we rented a movie which was at least mediocre. They're always super-crappy. As a matter of fact we're notorious in our circle of friends for doing this kind of thing.

I blame The Thing. See, once upon a time, after having watched pretty much every movie in the store we finally decided to rent The Thing. We'd looked at it before, but had avoided it due to the cover (due to a mistake it had the cover of Prince of Darkness in that store) and the Danish title, which was Det Grusomme Udefra, which roughly translates to The Cruel Thing From Outside (pretty lame, huh?). Anyway, that movie turned out to be great, and now we're bound to check out each and every crappy movie that comes out in the hope that it might be another hidden gem. So far, after ten years, we've had zero luck, and watched a lot of crappy movies. As a matter of fact, I believe this story, if turned into a movie script, would be a better horror movie than most of what we've watched.

Anyway, I needed to vent my frustration after last fridays nightmare. I don't suppose any of you guys have similar experiences?
Furthermore, it is my opinion that Carthage must be destroyed.

#2 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 10:59 PM

I have to ask:

When you rent a movie titled The Curse of El Charro, what exactly do you expect? :angel:
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#3 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 11:06 PM

Not to mention The Darkling :angel:

"The lowest ranking Demon is up to his tricks again. Woe to those who fall in his traps. There are no pranks too low for... The Darkling!"

;)

Yo!

#4 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 11:10 PM

As I said, I'm hoping for the hidden jewel. You don't think The Cruel Thing From Outside sounds lame too? It turned out to be one of the greatest movies of all time.

Anyway, another reason why this keeps happening is probably my friends impatience when picking movies. That, and the fact that we rarely read the text on the back of the cover.

Okay, I know, we only have ourselves to blame, but still, if we once, just once, get our hands on a movie as cool as The Thing, it will have been worth it. :angel:

#5 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 08:24 AM

Why don't you just check IMDB before renting the movies? That kinda ruins the randomness of finding a gem though.

I do the same thing with CDs - I've randomly bought albums in bargain sections and sometimes they're awful, but I've discovered a few of my favourite artists like that (Anathema years ago, Rhian Sheehan who I'm listening to right now after buying his other albums from New Zealand, Ship of Fools, etc)
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#6 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 08:44 AM

Rent the movie "Gorgeous".  :angel:

#7 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 12:01 PM

And if you're already bored, don't get the Truman Show out. It's a perfectly good film, but it's not that interesting if you're already bored.

#8 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 12:37 PM

BeefontheBone, on Oct 17 2005, 10:24 AM, said:

Why don't you just check IMDB before renting the movies? That kinda ruins the randomness of finding a gem though.
Well, mainly because we'd have to go to store to see what they have available, and then go back to check IMDB and then back to the store again. We have considered splitting up, so that one person stays behind to check on IMDB, but I don't think we're gonna do that.

Rent the movie "Gorgeous".

What, the Jackie Chan movie?

And if you're already bored, don't get the Truman Show out. It's a perfectly good film, but it's not that interesting if you're already bored.

I've already watched that one. It was alright, but nothing more IMO. Anyway, my friend and I mostly rent horror movies. :angel:

#9 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 01:32 PM

How about the old version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, then? That one's hilariously bad.

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#10 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 01:35 PM

Videodrome? I love that, it's so bad. Debbie Harry's "acting" debut.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#11 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 01:56 PM

BeefontheBone, on Oct 17 2005, 01:35 PM, said:

Videodrome? I love that, it's so bad. Debbie Harry's "acting" debut.
Ah, yes, I second that. Videodrome is an excellent bad film. A bit disgusting, but very interesting from a filmic point of view. Like everything by Cronenberg, really.

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#12 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 02:12 PM

Flop, on Oct 17 2005, 02:37 PM, said:

Rent the movie "Gorgeous".

What, the Jackie Chan movie?
Yes, it pushes the limits of what's possible...  :angel:

#13 Kon-Tiki

Kon-Tiki

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 03:55 PM

Here's a good tip: Try Kingdom Of The Spiders. It's a great movie. Really... I mean it. Trust me. That one's awesome.

Ok, that's more than enough. It IS a great movie, but only cause it's so damn crappy you'll laugh your *** off. It's 'bout some snackbar bistro thingamajingy in some rural village that has some spiders, and as the movie goes further, there're more and more spiders, crawling out of taps, drawers, closets, lamps and whatnot, and the end's a painting of a rural winter landscape, which has to pass as the rural village being covered with cobwebs.

Another one that's even worse, is a tankstation at the side of a highway, where trucks start to lead a life of their own, taking the tankstation hostage. Anybody that tries to escape, gets run over. Dumbest moment in the movie's when the trucks're nearly out of gaz, that the people inside the tankstation refuel them. Where the heck's their brain? :angel:

#14 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 04:44 PM

I'll assume you've already seen "Army of darkness".

#15 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 05:05 PM

Kon-Tiki, on Oct 17 2005, 03:55 PM, said:

Another one that's even worse, is a tankstation at the side of a highway, where trucks start to lead a life of their own, taking the tankstation hostage. Anybody that tries to escape, gets run over. Dumbest moment in the movie's when the trucks're nearly out of gaz, that the people inside the tankstation refuel them. Where the heck's their brain? :angel:
;)

I have seen that one! :apple:
It's so bad, it's hillarious! Do you recall the name? I've been wanting to see it again LOL

Yo!