348 replies to this topic

#31 Macalicious

Macalicious

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 10:27 AM

Thanks, unfortunately I was killed before I could use either ability.  I did get a nice mutation that gave me lazers that shoot from my eyes with the new Chaos Warrior I spawned.

#32 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 03:41 PM

I've played now for a while this game and must say I'm bit disappointed to few details, such as limited inventory, changing dungeons (nothing is more frustrating than finding way back to surface from deeper dungeon levels..) and impossibility to play mages.  :) Guess I'll just stick to NetHack or try ADOM again. First time I didn't get interested for some reason.
...70 years... LOL

#33 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 07:50 PM

Words of Recall are the way to find the way back - just skip it :)
You start finding Rods of Recall about Level 23, they're invaluable (saves messing around with scrolls and can't be destroyed by flame attacks/traps). The inventory limitations can get annoying sometimes, particularly for characters with low/reduced strength - turning on options like Autodestroy Useless Objects helps somewhat. Magic users are very hard to play, though that's mainly deliberate - they're an entirely different kind of challenge for more experienced players - sticking to warriors, rangers and rogues is highly recommended to start off (go for something like a Golem or Half-Giant Warrior for a bit of a powerhouse while you get used to the game).
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#34 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 11:10 PM

BeefontheBone I decided to try again and now with Beastman Chaoswarrior and actually made new personal record! :) However, I guess I once again stormed too early too deep.. Oh and do those Recalls work next to monster or do I have to be in more peaceful situation? Thanks anyway for tips.
...70 years... LOL

#35 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 01:03 AM

:) Looks like someone of the game designers is finn! There's creature called Martti Ihrasaari "He is the president of some remote country.", who's paragon is no other than our former President! ;)
...70 years... LOL

#36 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 02:00 AM

recall works anywhere...just have to wait a few turns

and there are alot more funny chars in the game... ive ran across hobbes from calvin and hobbes and died because i refused to kill him :)

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#37 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 02:22 AM

Well, Hobbes tore me to peaces once.. I knew there are a lot of humoristic characters, but our former president was real surprise because I didn't know there were any finns programming this game. Btw, his real name is not Ihrasaari, it's Ahtisaari.

I've also found my character, which I first believed too dull, but found out playable: Barbarian Warrior! Simple, yes, but magical devices compensate what he lacks to mages. My char is on level 18 and I'm at the moment dungeon level 8.  And I found very early, possibly from first quest "a Whip of poisoning (2d6) (+4, +1): Does extra damage from poison. Provides resistance to poison." Very handy and best I've got my hands on with this char.
:)

PS: Are there any special armours? I haven't found even single.
...70 years... LOL

#38 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 10:30 AM

Yup, there are plenty of magical armours. The most common are resistances to poison, fire, cold, acid or all four (Ego items) - armours of Resistance can have higher resistances (like shard, light/dark, confusion, chaos etc) as an extra sometimes - you'll need to *Identify* them to find out (it's generally worth *Identify*ing all artifacts and ego items to get the most out of them, including some of the early artifacts like the Phial of Galadriel). You should start finding magical armour a bit deeper than you are now, though chaos warriors can often get it given to them by their deity quite early on.

Recall works anytime but it doesn't take effect immediately, to stop you using it as a means of escape. You should always have a few scrolls of Phase Door or Teleportation on you (even if you can cast the spells - scrolls never fail) or something like the activated teleport ability of a Trump weapon as a means of escape when you run into a pit of nasty monsters. Also, don't forget you can 'R'est to regain HP/SP between fights.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

#39 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 12:19 PM

Still, if you can take a few hits then Recall should be OK.

#40 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 07:16 PM

Thanks a lot guys for answers and hints. To be honest, after giving this game a new chance I've done nothing but playing it, plus little eating and sleeping. Luckily I'm on vacation! Surprisingly addictive! Unfortunately I didn't realize the value of "Phase Door"-scrolls, so I sold them and ended up into middle of huge swarm of monsters.. My bad.

One question which I couldn't solve, what are the differences between "Identify" and "*Identify*", except huge difference in cost of scrolls. At least I haven't yet got wealthy enough to keep buying those more expensive.
...70 years... LOL

#41 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 07:39 PM

Identify is a limited identification - fine for most things but you'll not get all the benefits of powerful items (artifacts, ego items etc) whereas *Identify* fully and permanently identifies objects, giving you fuller information and any more advanced benefits (the most important being Higher resistances - nexus, light/dark, chaos, confusion etc etc - which you'll need later on). Permanently identified items (which includes anything you buy from a store) remain identified even if you lose your memories - certain monsters such as Memory Moss, and a few other effects like a Chaos patron thinking you're getting arrogant, can wipe your memory, so you lose all feelings, {tried} notes etc  and identifications on non-permanently identified and unidentified items, along with your dungeon map, which effectively makes your equipment as useful as a basic item of its class - pretty scary if you have to try and fight anything!

I tend not to buy Identify scrolls - you should have enough money to get them done at the Rogue's Guild or Tower of Sorcery for about 600 gold for all your stuff when you return to town; it's generally not worth bringing back anything which isn't at least {good} unless it looks especially powerful and you've not seen it before, especially with weapons and armour because they're so heavy. I then get *Identify* scrolls for anything really good that i want to keep (or at least I do now that I've seen Memory Moss in action...)
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)

#42 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:08 AM

beef you get the benifits when the stuff is not *identifeid* it just wont show up on your chararcter flags because your character doesnt know :)

you can see this when you get an ESP item a a chaos weapon or anything that isnt a resistance.

Also if it wasnt so then you wouldnt get the bad stuff from cursed items either unless they were *identified*

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#43 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 07:35 AM

Really? I'd never noticed that. You don't seem to get the AC benefit from unidentified magical armour, but maybe that's just because you don't know it's there.

Incidentally, if you want to see what resistances (among many other things) you have, press C to bring up the character display and click on the Flags tab - anything with a white blob next to it is being provided by an item.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)

#44 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 07:48 AM

yeah thats it... you just dont know its there... your getting the bonus but you wont see it till you *identify*

so basically if you already know what your item can do there is no reason to *identify* it (i still do though just to make sure i don forget something and money is easy to come by once you get a couple of items anyways.)

Posted Image

#45 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 12:39 PM

What's the benefit of doing quests? I'm about level 10 on my Vampire Warrior and am considering that lvl 3 'Kill off them Rogue bastards' quest at the city hall.

Back to Games on Reloaded

Reply to this topic