122 replies to this topic

#16 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 01:42 PM

Played through this game and I wasn't impressed. It was a mediocre game in my opinion. I like Beneath a steel Sky a lot better. I think it was the dialogues and story that felt cheesy to me. But then again others seems to have liked it.

#17 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 06:47 PM

I'm having an odd problem at the moment: I'm about to finish the game, but for some reason Bob won't sell the alcohol and claims I don't have enough money. Maybe I've missed something, but I don't think so, actually (and I've managed to finish the game before and don't remember having that problem). Is it some bug perhaps?:)

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#18 Bobbin Threadbare

Bobbin Threadbare

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:52 AM

Another positive point was that Ron Gilbert was on the project. :)
Heh, it took me a while to change this...
IPB Image
Credit goes to TheVoid for creating my wonderful avatar/personal pic.

#19 CataBina

CataBina

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:42 PM

As I do not wish to download ScummVM, I decided for the game anyway as you stated it runs in DOSBox as well... but the download .zip consists of 2 files only:

queen.1c - 51 MB and the readme.txt file

How did you get the game to run in DOS Box?

:bleh:

#20 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:18 PM

Hmm, why do you not wish to download ScummVM?:bleh: It's easy to use, doesn't take up that much space and it isn't a huge download either...

#21 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:25 PM

Also not sure with the versions that are offered now, that you can play it with dosbox, remember that before it was integrated fully into scummvm, some of the old downloads had the dos application that was used originally to play the game, but these versions seem to be specifically for scummvm, since that seems to be gone.

And yeah think scummvm shouldn't be too big of an issue, it's only about a megabyte in size, plus besides FOTAQ you'll be able to play the older lucasarts games and some other titles, like Beneath A Steel Sky and Broken Sword 1 and 2 for example.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#22 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:43 PM

And the latest version has the added bonus of automatically cracking the old LucasArts copy protections for you, so you can finally stop worrying about losing those code wheels for Monkey Island...:bleh:

#23 CataBina

CataBina

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:16 PM

View PostA. J. Raffles, on Oct 25 2006, 11:18 PM, said:

Hmm, why do you not wish to download ScummVM?:huh: It's easy to use, doesn't take up that much space and it isn't a huge download either...

Maybe just because I do not want to, and have DOSBox which is great for most of the old stuff?

And maybe because the site states that this game can be played in DOS Box?

Plus being tired of downloading another new tool ....  :bleh:

#24 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2784 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:41 PM

That is my fault, I believe. Flight of the Amazon Queen was one of the original games that we moved over from Abandonia, when we first opened this site. The archive we used on Abandonia was a DOSBox archive - while the archive(s) featured on the official site are both ScummVM versions.

So, I am terribly sorry about that. In order to play the versions on the official site you will need to download ScummVM.

(I'll fix the review on the site.)

Yo!

#25 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 06:52 AM

View PostCataBina, on Oct 26 2006, 10:16 PM, said:

Maybe just because I do not want to, and have DOSBox which is great for most of the old stuff?

And maybe because the site states that this game can be played in DOS Box?

Plus being tired of downloading another new tool ....  :bleh:
"Most" isn't "all", though, but fair enough, suit yourself. If you're finding it that troublesome...

#26 Mighty Midget

Mighty Midget

RC Heli Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:02 PM

HAR! HAR! HAR! Joining the Amazon party a bit "late", but I got to hand it to them: That game is brilliant, really classy "She Demons" touch to it and some really strange references: That parrot in the early part, what a riot, doing an R2-D2 in the middle of the jungle! I think I can learn to rrreeeeaaaally like this game.
I met a goldfish who remembered meeting me before, but I had forgotten about that.

#27 rbaleksandar

rbaleksandar

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:21 AM

Speech might not be well done (cause it wasn't originally made to be with real speech), music can be sometimes annoying but all in all this is an adventure worth playing more than once. I give a straight 5 (despite the small minuses in it).

#28 Laukku

Laukku

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:15 PM

Hello, is there any possibility that you could upload the original, unmodified files for this game?  :D The link gives no executable, only a queen.1 file, which will not work in DOSBox.  ;) I guess queen.1 is a resource file used by ScummVM. I don't want to install multiple emulators for DOS games, and I prefer DOSBox.

#29 Frodo

Frodo

Your neck looks very... tasty!

• Admin
  • 9533 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 02:08 AM

Hey Laukku

The link has been changed to the correct page on SCUMM.  This includes the options to download cd unmodified original files, or floppy version.   ;)

However, I'm really not sure if the game will work in DOSBox.  I recommend you download SCUMM, and give that a try.  It's very easy to use.   :D
Please click on my dragons to help them grow -    Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

#30 Laukku

Laukku

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:55 AM

View PostFrodo, on Oct 5 2009, 04:08 AM, said:

Hey Laukku

The link has been changed to the correct page on SCUMM.  This includes the options to download cd unmodified original files, or floppy version.   ;)

I tried the downloads at ScummVM already, and they also offer a queen.1 file.

I tried some googling, and found a file with the executable in it :D (from abandonware-utopia)

However, I'm really not sure if the game will work in DOSBox.  I recommend you download SCUMM, and give that a try.  It's very easy to use.   :Brain:

It's not its user-friendliness that matters... just personal preferences.

Reply to this topic