44 replies to this topic

#1 Cow'o'war

Cow'o'war

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 08:08 AM

seriously guys i love your site but you definitely need to try to feed us more cool games if possible.  in the last month you've had two updates, one of which is a tetris game (and who needs more of those) and the other game has been around for literally five years.  i come to you because you (used to) give me lots of cool new games that i hadn't found at other sites.  is this a problem with you guys or with the amount of new freeware coming out these days?   :shrug:
Nice sig, but it fails to adhere to our Signature Guidelines. I've taken the liberty of PMing you the original sig in order to preserve it. Please come up with something else. - Tai

#2 Frodo

Frodo

Your neck looks very... tasty!

• Admin
  • 9533 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 09:08 AM

We are experiencing some problems with updates since we moved to the new server.  We are doing our best to fix these problems, but until we get everything sorted out, please try and be patient.  

We will be back to making regular update as soon as possible.   :shrug:
Please click on my dragons to help them grow -    Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

#3 Lachie Dazdarian

Lachie Dazdarian

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:18 PM

Well, I was kind of ready to bash you for ignoring my suggestion of Bernie's brilliant adventure games "Cedric and the Revolution" and "Reactor 9".

http://www.origamihero.com/games.php#3

Maybe I'm using strong words, but they definitely beat a whole load of adventure games already in your database (namely, Ben Jordan 1 and 2).

I kind of wonder how my average Star Cage fits in all this.
Lachie Dazdarian - The Maker Of Stuff

#4 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:23 PM

Reactor 9 is already up on the site, and Cedric and the Revolution, I reviewed and is merely waiting to be prepped for ze future.

As for your game, looks intriguing, maybe will check it out some later day when less busy with workies, looks coolies nevertheless.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#5 Peter Smith

Peter Smith

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 12:17 PM

View PostFrodo, on Jul 7 2007, 09:08 AM, said:

We are experiencing some problems with updates since we moved to the new server.  We are doing our best to fix these problems, but until we get everything sorted out, please try and be patient.  

We will be back to making regular update as soon as possible.   :ok:

why are there regular updates on abandonia and not on abandonia rledoaded? surely they are on the same server or at least from the same host. if server problems were fixed for abandonia weeks ago thhey cannot be this persistent on the sistersite :shrug:

#6 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:55 PM

Same servers true, but AR and AB run different updating scripts, when it comes down to putting games up on the server, for example we also put down company/individual info for games if they are available, with its own page and everything, so thats something different.

Things will get sorted out as soon as we can fix the issues, and we'll be back to our regular scheduled updates. :shrug:

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#7 Peter Smith

Peter Smith

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 06:11 PM

what is it that this script does wrong then? i cant imagine that such a small difference makes it impossible to work fine after a server move. are you saying its badly coded?

#8 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 06:32 PM

Strong guess: If the problem was known, it would have been solved long time ago. Considering how much larger community and site Abandonia has, I don't find it big surprise that it was taken care of first. Code isn't necessarily bad, there's just something odd in it, that for some reason doesn't work in the new server.
...70 years... LOL

#9 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 06:42 PM

Some sort of conflict basically, not badly coded or anything, but whenever a server move does happen, it can affect parts of the code, especially if it is a newer version and so on, its getting looked after right now, so once the issue is solved that will be that.

#10 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 04:58 AM

Just to keep everyone informed, we're still troubleshooting the update issues.

And just to respond a bit more to the previous post by Peter Smith, sometimes a small bit of code can cause huge problems during a server transfer, depending on the differences in server environment. It can take quite a bit of time to fix, depending on what's causing the problem, especially when you take into account that both AB and AR are non-corporate sites that don't have huge human resources to fall back on when such issues occur.

The AR crew is doing our best to help troubleshoot the problem, but we're all volunteers, and we only have one actual site programmer, so please bear with us. We'll do our best to make it up to you guys for your patience when we finally get things running again :shrug:
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#11 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:24 AM

And AB also had/has it's own fair share of problems while moving servers, and some problems still exist like updating for translators so there isn't that much difference between the sites.

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#12 Peter Smith

Peter Smith

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:49 PM

that must be alot of code to go through if the troubleshooting takes a month. i've seen alot of developers in my time, but none of them did not know there codes well enough to find server issues in it within a few days. those also were single programmers for extensive amounts of code, doing it in their spare time. are you sure there isnt a more credible reason?

#13 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:54 PM

To be honest, I'd rather see someone who's spent his or her freetime voluntarily to improve this site complaining, than someone who's postcount is three - all in the same thread, repeating one and only thing... No offense meant, but the problems will be fixed when they will be fixed and that's it. Period.
...70 years... LOL

#14 Peter Smith

Peter Smith

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 04:29 PM

can you not take any criticism? i come here almost daily to get new games and am getting impatient as there havent been any new games for a month now. i do have a right to ask what the reasons behind it are, unless you are in it for yourselves and not for the people looking for free games.

#15 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 04:35 PM

We can take criticism and we have given you answers. Can you? All you have to do is be patient.
...70 years... LOL

Reply to this topic