#1 LordHart

LordHart

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 11:50 PM

Posted Image

I've aluded to this game being in production for a while, and have been casting voice actors for the roles. Now that the new series has ended, and I've seen all the episodes, I can now begin working on the full script so that it isn't a MAJOR continuity stuff-up. A few of the plot elements will take a bit to be explained, but won't hinder the story at all.

The game will be an old school 2D point and click adventure made in AGS. Not only will it be released in a few parts in which you can play (like 4 episodes of the one story, similar to the old shows format), each released episode will allow you to simply 'watch' the episode through if you don't feel like playing. You will control the Doctor throughout each episode, with the possibility of controlling one of his two companions throughout the story.

At the moment, all background art is original, all item art is original. The character art however, is being adapted from artwork from the Indiana Jones series of games made by Lucasarts (for the human characters anyway). This is mostly so I can simply work on the game, without too much time going to character art (new animations are being made based on the character art though, so only the base style of the characters are being adapted).

Posted Image

This is the control room that appears in the game, which goes back to a somewhat more retro design similar to that of the 1st-5th Doctor eras instead of the new series 'organic' look. The explanation for this being that the Doctor in his current incarnation (which will not be any of the previous nine, or the current tenth Doctor), feels very nostalgic, especially when it comes to his past regenerations.

The door at the bottom of the screen is the door to the outside, whilst the door at the top goes into the TARDIS interior past the console room. The viewscreen is reminscient of the 4th Doctor era, but wider and larger.

Then, we have the TARDIS itself, which amazingly, I drew without any references because I was offline while I was doing it. Took me ages to do that, and i'm pretty happy with how it ended up. The effect for the TARDIS materialising and de-materialising is very effective, whilst remaining relatively simple.

Posted Image

You can see the 'Coming Soon' teaser trailer here: http://www.tdrdesign.../comingsoon.avi

Depending on how quick I can finish writing the episodes (shouldn't be too long now as everything is finalised in my head), the small amount of character art and background art and also getting the voicework from people, it should be out in possibly a month or two. Each episode, released fortnightly after the first. If the game is well recieved, then i'll do some more stories in the future.