2133 replies to this topic

#1 Kon-Tiki

Kon-Tiki

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 08:39 PM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review + download

#2 a1s

a1s

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 01:26 AM

um... shouldn't this be an 'RPG' rather than 'text based', after all it features s.c. ascii graphics?
Those of you being liberal-art majors � don�t worry, advanced mathematics were largely omitted from this text in concern for your mental health.

QUOTE (Mighty Midget)
if BP has potied on Twilight Zone episode, I will strangle him

secret adept of the PICKALLONWEASEL order

#3 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 09:42 AM

Good point. But then again, what's so graphic about a bunch of coloured letters?

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#4 Sir Kevin

Sir Kevin

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 06:58 PM

Yeah, its safe to say that I'm hopelessly addicted to this game  :)
There's just something about roguelike rpgs...

#5 Ignatius

Ignatius

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 08:51 AM

A friend of mine has played this game for a long time, and I must say, it's very much like Nethack if not built ON IT. I remember reading an article that said that ADOM had the same randomizing system etc. A hollow copy or an iron-solid RPG?

Depends who's viewing the case.

My opinion is that the overhead mapping system is raping the truly text-based gaming society. When I play text-based games, I always see the enviroment around me in 3D. That's not the case in Nethack or ADOM since they have a map of what's around my avatar. Things like this are killing the imagination of gamers for good.

I'm not saying that all mapped games suck. Only that the character should be moving inside your brains, not on a map filled with ASCII letters

:)
California dreaming as the Earth dies screaming

#6 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 07:33 PM

Heh, you just haven't been playing ADOM long enough, then. I once caught myself looking at a piece of modern "art" which basically was a bunch of lowercase 'o's some of which were slightly slanted, and thinking: "that looks like an orc-clan having a party". :)

It isn't based on NetHack, by the way.

#7 MasterGrazzt

MasterGrazzt

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 09:33 AM

Ignatius, on May 21 2005, 08:51 AM, said:

My opinion is that the overhead mapping system is raping the truly text-based gaming society. When I play text-based games, I always see the enviroment around me in 3D. That's not the case in Nethack or ADOM since they have a map of what's around my avatar. Things like this are killing the imagination of gamers for good.

I'm not saying that all mapped games suck. Only that the character should be moving inside your brains, not on a map filled with ASCII letters
It's a Rougelike RPG, not an adventure game. I don't understand what you're trying to get at. Are you saying it should be COMPLETELY in text, like an adventure, with room descriptions, but have the stats and all that? Try a game called Fallthru. I don't know where you'd find it these days, but it was an alright game. I'd rather play a Roguelike, though. Especially ADOM. One thing about heavy combat RPGs is that the placement of the characters is very important. To see if your your fireball spell hit everyone, for example. I don't see how having the walls made of pound symbols, or whatever, and the ground being made of periods removes the imagination aspect of this game at all. When I play it, I always imagine the caves, and the ruins, and the wilderness. I'm sorry, but reality doesn't look like this game. Saying that this is "killing the imagination of gamers" is like saying that having a character's clothes described is killing the imagination of people who read novels.

Man, you must really hate games with pictures. If you were around then, when Mystery House came out, did you hold a wake for text adventures?  :)
user posted image

#8 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 07:40 PM

I'd never play true text adventures for fun ever. You can't imagine how I loathe those games. Especially since I always know the answers but can't manage to find the exact proper wording. Just plain bad if you ask me. :)
"I am on a hot streak... Literally"

#9 Havell

Havell

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 07:50 PM

Is there anyway you can make surr you'll get a corpse from a dead enemy?  I want to kill Blup, the baby water dragon in Terrigo but I can't seem to get his corpse, he always drops a big pile of gold (about 1000) which is no bad thing but I want to eat his body as it gives you the water breathing skill.
IPB Image

#10 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 07:53 PM

No, there isn't. For each type of monster there's a certain chance it'll leave a corpse, but you can't influence it.
By the way, if you just want the corpse for the water breathing, there's easier ways to get it than by killing Blup...

#11 Havell

Havell

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:09 PM

I read this section of a guide I found posted in Abandonia's ADOM thread:

*Spoliers*

0.12.7 Water breathing

It is possible to gain the water breathing intrinsic by eating Blup's or Shyssiryxxius'
corpse. The message "For some seconds a strange liquid seems to fill your lungs." is
generated.

Elementalists receive water breathing as an intrinsic class power at experience level 25.
Certain items and wielded weapons grant the intrinsic. The most common items are probably
the helm of water breathing and amulet of water breathing.

Other items which grant this ability include:

rings of the fish - AUTOCURSING; 1 blessed or 2 of any status stop drowning damage,
                    although water breathing is not listed as an intrinsic at the time.
the rune-covered trident - when wielded
the Trident of the Red Rooster - when wielded
the Medal of Chaos - when worn

Those item don't sound easy to get and Shyssiryxxius is a boss (I think).

EDIT: Also, how do you use the Bridge Building skill?  I'm standing by a river, with a hatchet in my weapon slot and a log in my inventory but whe nI use the skill it says I haven't got the right skill, how do I get the right skill?
IPB Image

#12 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:25 PM

The Food Preservation skill can increase your chance(s) to have corpses when killing monsters.

As for the Bridge Building skill, it is linked to the Mad Carpenter quest... But I won't tell you more about it.  :)

#13 Havell

Havell

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:26 PM

I've completed the carpenter quest and I have the skill, I just don't know how to use it.
IPB Image

#14 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:28 PM

I never used it myself... But I always guessed that you either had to be next to water with a pile of log and then create a section of bridge and place it or create it before going to the main map and place it there...

#15 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 10:05 PM

Most of the time you don't need water breathing. Swimming will do. The only time when water breathing will definitely come in handy is to get into the water dragon's lair. But in that case you'd better not kill Blup. His mummy won't like it.

Reply to this topic