DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 01:58 PM

all ranged attacks are pretty deadlt... try a dagger throwing assassin

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#62 Triton

Triton

Daily Denizen

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 06:01 PM

Archers are pretty good, but just because you're an archer doesn't mean you have to use ranged weapons all the time, especially in the early game.  It's good to just train a melee weapon at the same time and save your missiles for monsters you don't want to get close to.  The Archery skill provides to-hit bonuses per 10 points, to-damage per 20, and range per 40 (?) for archers only (other classes require more points), so you don't have to worry about advancing your missile weapon skill right away.

#63 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:12 AM

Is it worth getting all of the 'learner' abilities instead of straight combat ones, or am I just a deluded fool?

#64 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 06:53 PM

It really depend of your playing style. All the skills are there for a reason, tough some are really more usefull than others. :)
"I am on a hot streak... Literally"

#65 Triton

Triton

Daily Denizen

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 07:36 PM

If you mean talents, the best order is most likely Alert, Miser, Treasure Hunter, Quick, Very Quick, Greased Lightning, Porter, Master Packager, and Beast of Burden.

#66 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 06:38 AM

Does anyone have any hints on how/when to the CoC? I keep getting gangbanged after my first quest on my way there. Big nasty muthas that is. Like 20 Hobgoblins and such...

#67 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:44 AM

That depends, really. What sort of characters are you playing and when do you usually try to go there?

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#68 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:48 AM

CoC is pretty much in the center of the map... 20 hobgoblins should be ok as long as your not playing a gray elf merchant or something (merchants can throw coins by the way :) and are pretty darn deadly with them)

i keep on saying it... check out the andy williams guidebook

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#69 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 08:46 AM

Yeah, I've started going at it. It seems pretty thourough.

#70 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:07 AM

If wilderness encounters are a problem for you, MdaG, you might want to try an elven archer. They're pretty deadly with their missiles; an elven archer can easily kill the raider lord at level 1. Or if you're brave you could try to go through the small cave. It's a bit risky, but there's usually some good stuff down there and it'll give you access to an extra shop and a shorter way to the Caverns of Chaos.
What's your playing style so far?

#71 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:43 AM

I've tried wizard and fighter style so far. I like both. I haven't tried archer though, that one's next.

#72 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:01 AM

Archers rock.:) You just have to remember to train melee weapons as well, or you'll have trouble dealing with doppelgangers. What route do you usually take?

#73 Triton

Triton

Daily Denizen

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 02:44 PM

Try to train your missile weapon skill to at least level 7 before you go to the CoC (the archery skill allows your missile skill to advance in leaps and bounds, and you can get it to 100 rather quickly), and focus on swords or spears and shields for melee.  When firing a missile, stay at least 1 square away and fire while berserk.

#74 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 04:42 PM

Tried an elven archer. Kicked *** all the way down to level 7 of the village dungeon where a fire vortex touched me once and turned me to cinders...  :)

#75 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 04:56 PM

You should have shot it from a distance. That's why you're playing an archer, right?:)

Reply to this topic