Jump to content


Swat 3


102 replies to this topic

#1 Sinke

Sinke

    AR-coholic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 11:02 PM

I am expecting a lot from SWAT 4 and it's bonus disc, but I must recall one of the best games in the genre. I mailed Sierra the other day to release patch which would allow playing this game in Win XP and they actually said they will give that to their techno-freaks. So far nothing.

Game doesn't work in DOS ( otherwise I would use it with DosBox ), only in win 98- maybe win 2000. Compatibility mode didn't work ( did it ever? ).
One can always get mocked for being polite.

#2 DeathDude

DeathDude

    Duke de la Review

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 11:06 PM

I really want to play Swat 4, was a big fan of Swat 3 when it came out and actually have the Elite edition that came with multiplayer and more missions and such, was a great game when it came out, that least had an intelligent team AI and smart enemies that were randomized throughout the game, that feature always liked.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#3 Sinke

Sinke

    AR-coholic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 12:55 PM

Yeah, I really miss old Swat 3. I am playing Swat4 now and I must say it is really great, however there aren't many new things. Why to change a good game? Namco didn't change a thing in Ace combat, yet games are usually very well accepted by the critics and the audience.

Swat4 already has an add-on. As for Swat3, if you own the original, you can upgrade it to gold edition free of charge at Sierra's site.
One can always get mocked for being polite.

#4 Potatoe

Potatoe

    Freeware Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 01:06 PM

View PostDeathDude, on Sep 14 2006, 11:06 PM, said:

I really want to play Swat 4, was a big fan of Swat 3 when it came out and actually have the Elite edition that came with multiplayer and more missions and such, was a great game when it came out, that least had an intelligent team AI and smart enemies that were randomized throughout the game, that feature always liked.
SWAT 4 is absolutely awsome. Some things bug me in it(no quick save). But overall it rules!

#5 DeathDude

DeathDude

    Duke de la Review

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 01:08 PM

Yeah Swat 4 got mixed reviews though with some of the changes, the missions themselves are better than in 3 I think though, since most were rescuing hostages and such, plus least they are not limited the game itself, because of Swat 3 going off the LAPD Swat division.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#6 Potatoe

Potatoe

    Freeware Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 01:11 PM

View PostDeathDude, on Sep 15 2006, 01:08 PM, said:

Yeah Swat 4 got mixed reviews though with some of the changes, the missions themselves are better than in 3 I think though, since most were rescuing hostages and such, plus least they are not limited the game itself, because of Swat 3 going off the LAPD Swat division.
Yeah. But some of the missions are creepy...

#7 DeathDude

DeathDude

    Duke de la Review

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 01:18 PM

Well with 3 some were a bit out there, 4 takes it a bit further, 3 had some interesting ideas but with such a loose story that ya had to really pay attention to follow it.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#8 Potatoe

Potatoe

    Freeware Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 01:28 PM

View PostDeathDude, on Sep 15 2006, 01:18 PM, said:

Well with 3 some were a bit out there, 4 takes it a bit further, 3 had some interesting ideas but with such a loose story that ya had to really pay attention to follow it.
I don't think 4 has a story.

#9 DeathDude

DeathDude

    Duke de la Review

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 01:30 PM

Probably loose if you tie the missions and the sort of people you fight against, probably isn't in depth like in most FPS's with the exception here and there.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#10 Sinke

Sinke

    AR-coholic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 06:50 PM

SWAT4 doesn't seem to have a campagined story, it is just a bunch of police interventions. In Swat 3 every third mission was connected with certain political meeting and bunch of crucks who want to destroy the place.

I must add that mission in Swat 4 where you are to invade the residency of mentally disturbed killer and woman abuser is one of the top "moments in gaming  history" for me. You know, one of those moments you will remember years in the future, like opening scene of FF7 or fighting Bowser in Super Mario 64. The whole level consists of a normal residency, where an old granny is yelling why you breached into the house, and underground system of tunells where woman were abused and killed. Wow!
One can always get mocked for being polite.

#11 DeathDude

DeathDude

    Duke de la Review

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 07:51 PM

Well definitely some of the ideas they made are indeed out there, like in 3 the whole notion that a group managed to get a nuclear bomb in a suitcase, is almost real by today's standards and that was 98-99 when the game first came out, they really push the boundaries with some of the ideas.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#12 Potatoe

Potatoe

    Freeware Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 09:38 PM

View PostSinke, on Sep 15 2006, 06:50 PM, said:

SWAT4 doesn't seem to have a campagined story, it is just a bunch of police interventions. In Swat 3 every third mission was connected with certain political meeting and bunch of crucks who want to destroy the place.

I must add that mission in Swat 4 where you are to invade the residency of mentally disturbed killer and woman abuser is one of the top "moments in gaming  history" for me. You know, one of those moments you will remember years in the future, like opening scene of FF7 or fighting Bowser in Super Mario 64. The whole level consists of a normal residency, where an old granny is yelling why you breached into the house, and underground system of tunells where woman were abused and killed. Wow!
Most disturbing moment in video game history...

#13 DeathDude

DeathDude

    Duke de la Review

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 09:40 PM

That's pretty bad no question, but worst in the history of games? Not even close.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#14 Potatoe

Potatoe

    Freeware Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 10:53 PM

View PostDeathDude, on Sep 15 2006, 09:40 PM, said:

That's pretty bad no question, but worst in the history of games? Not even close.
Worst that I have played no doubt..

#15 Sinke

Sinke

    AR-coholic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 11:43 PM

Well I'd dare to claim it is one of the most disturbing because it is so real. They knew how to build that atmosphere, they didn't go over the edge and made it a horror scene, they really made it realistic. I won't tell you what is there, in case you buy the game and play it, but I must say that it would take a great writting to explain excatly. Boy, wasn't that a great level!
One can always get mocked for being polite.




Reply to this topic



  


Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com