34 replies to this topic

#1 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 06:01 PM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review + download
Furthermore, it is my opinion that Carthage must be destroyed.

#2 DannyMc252

DannyMc252

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 06:21 PM

Well that review was very uninformative. All I know is that its like MOO and the reviewer dosen't like the interface.
And that English isn't good, either.
user posted image
Meep?

#3 MrBackAlleySka

MrBackAlleySka

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 10:54 PM

Heh, I agree Danny.

Anyways, I love this game. I think it's very good, and a "little" simpiler than MOO. Very fun though, I used to play this game to death when I bought MOO3 (and hated it) and looked at the website and saw it's download.

#4 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 09:44 AM

I would give it a shot, but I'm too lazy to register to Fileplanet... :)
...70 years... LOL

#5 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 01:48 PM

Looks like quite the game to try out but yes in order to play it have to dig through my things to find my fileplanet account and all that, and that can take some time. :)

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#6 a1s

a1s

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 05:03 PM

DannyMc252, on Oct 2 2005, 06:21 PM, said:

Well that review was very uninformative. All I know is that its like MOO and the reviewer dosen't like the interface.
well, there isn't much to write about this game... if you haven't seen MOO, you should see it instead, if you do, I won't do you any good describing it. Plus you allso should know a bit of history now.

DannyMc252, on Oct 2 2005, 06:21 PM, said:

And that English isn't good, either.
no, the English are great! it's the Amercans that are evil! (j/k)
Those of you being liberal-art majors � don�t worry, advanced mathematics were largely omitted from this text in concern for your mental health.

QUOTE (Mighty Midget)
if BP has potied on Twilight Zone episode, I will strangle him

secret adept of the PICKALLONWEASEL order

#7 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 05:08 PM

Hehe finally a short review for a change...

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#8 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 06:19 PM

There's a typo in the 'positives' bit. It should be a piece of history, not if.

Apart from that it's OK, if very short.

#9 LordHart

LordHart

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 11:07 AM

For the love of god, it is not a prequel to Master of Orion. It was just a game, similar to MoO, made by the same guy before he made MoO. It's like saying that Wolfenstein 3D is a prequel to Doom. :)

#10 MrBackAlleySka

MrBackAlleySka

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 12:27 PM

Well then, if it's not the prequel, why does this game have connections such as the same alien races? Your right, it's not the real MOO1, but it's what people call a "spiritual sequel" it's like saying Ken's labyrinth  is the prequel to Duke Nukem 3D...Which it is.

#11 LordHart

LordHart

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 01:10 PM

MrBackAlleySka, on Oct 4 2005, 12:27 PM, said:

Well then, if it's not the prequel, why does this game have connections such as the same alien races? Your right, it's not the real MOO1, but it's what people call a "spiritual sequel" it's like saying Ken's labyrinth  is the prequel to Duke Nukem 3D...Which it is.
You've got to be kidding if you are saying that Ken's Labyrinth is a prequel to Duke Nukem 3D. Like Star Lords and MoO, just because it was made by the same guy and uses a similar engine and does not constitute as a sequel/prequel... to think otherwise, just shows how stupid you are.

Being a spiritual sequel does not make it a sequel. Take Starlancer... made by the same bloke as Wing Commander, used a whole lot of similar gameplay techniques, but not set in the same universe. Sequel? No... it isn't. Is that recent real-time strategy game set in the Lord of the Rings universe a sequel to Warcraft, because it has both humans and Orcs? No... it isn't. Is the game It Came From The Desert a prequel to MoO because it features giant ants? Maybe the Klackons evolved from those giant ants, eh? So, sequel? No... it isn't.

Calling MoO a sequel to Star Lords is the same thing. If they were set in the same universe, had a shared backstory, and so on, then it'd be a sequel. But it isn't. Let's take your example of Ken's Labyrinth and Duke 3D. Are they set in the same universe? No. Do they feature the same characters? No. Do they feature some similar gameplay mechanics? Yes... but that does not a sequel make.

Lets go further with your thought-patterns and say that because most movies were filmed on 35mm film, that they are all sequels to one another. They used similar techniques, the same film type and a few of the same actors, so they must be sequels... right?! RIGHT?!

Ken's Labyrinth a prequel to Duke 3D... :)

#12 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 03:01 PM

Well, the copyright holders refer to it as MoO 0 (they also call it an unpolished version of MoO), which is good enough for me. And please refrain from calling people stupid. :)
Furthermore, it is my opinion that Carthage must be destroyed.

#13 a1s

a1s

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 11:01 PM

LordHart, on Oct 4 2005, 01:10 PM, said:

You've got to be kidding if you are saying that Ken's Labyrinth is a prequel to Duke Nukem 3D. Like Star Lords and MoO, just because it was made by the same guy and uses a similar engine and does not constitute as a sequel/prequel... to think otherwise, just shows how stupid you are.

Being a spiritual sequel does not make it a sequel. Take Starlancer... made by the same bloke as Wing Commander, used a whole lot of similar gameplay techniques, but not set in the same universe. Sequel? No... it isn't. Is that recent real-time strategy game set in the Lord of the Rings universe a sequel to Warcraft, because it has both humans and Orcs? No... it isn't. Is the game It Came From The Desert a prequel to MoO because it features giant ants? Maybe the Klackons evolved from those giant ants, eh? So, sequel? No... it isn't.

Calling MoO a sequel to Star Lords is the same thing. If they were set in the same universe, had a shared backstory, and so on, then it'd be a sequel. But it isn't. Let's take your example of Ken's Labyrinth and Duke 3D. Are they set in the same universe? No. Do they feature the same characters? No. Do they feature some similar gameplay mechanics? Yes... but that does not a sequel make.

Lets go further with your thought-patterns and say that because most movies were filmed on 35mm film, that they are all sequels to one another. They used similar techniques, the same film type and a few of the same actors, so they must be sequels... right?! RIGHT?!

Ken's Labyrinth a prequel to Duke 3D... :)
your arguments would have been sound, and they satnd for allmost any two realted games in existance, but, you my friend haven't actualy played this game. if you would we wouldn't have to sapeak of spritual ascendancy. the game is plainly the beta MOO, this is a known fact (if it's not, I'm to blame in part ;) ), and it shows in every way. same techonlogies. same design. same goal. same races. (and I don't mean similar, I mean same) and if that isn't eough (yes I adore logics for that simple fact that it helps get any result by showing how they logicaly follow out of common misconceptions) you have the publishers word that it is so (just follow the download link).

BTW it follows from your argument that "Quest for glory II: trials by fire" isn't a sequle to "Heros Quest: so you want to be a hero", since they are set in differnt worlds (one is of german folklore, the other is based on 1001 nights mythos), gameplay allso differs more than between MOO and SL. Disprove me, and I'll try to gather better arguments for the game in question (Star Lords, obviously).

have fun. I know I do.
Those of you being liberal-art majors � don�t worry, advanced mathematics were largely omitted from this text in concern for your mental health.

QUOTE (Mighty Midget)
if BP has potied on Twilight Zone episode, I will strangle him

secret adept of the PICKALLONWEASEL order

#14 MrBackAlleySka

MrBackAlleySka

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 12:40 PM

Thanks guys. I really, honestly, don't mind being questioned, because there is always a % chance that I'm wrong on things. However to be insulted, just because someone disagrees with me, is...well, it's not nice. It's been proven that it IS a spiritual prequel (Even the creators of the game say this. They CALL it MOO 0) So lets get on with praising the game, and talking about any tips, tricks, stories, or anything else involving the game. I love you guys for helping me out with this. Some people just need to play the game and have fun before they go biting the mailmain for delivering a message they disagree with.  :)

#15 LordHart

LordHart

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 08:07 PM

your arguments would have been sound, and they satnd for allmost any two realted games in existance, but, you my friend haven't actualy played this game. if you would we wouldn't have to sapeak of spritual ascendancy.

You know... I have played it, many times, over many years ever since I first found it on the internet after it was mention by a PC games magazine, so you're obviously talking crap if you base your defense that 'oh, you haven't played it!'... which is weak. I don't care about 'spiritual ascendancy'. The game is not a prequel to MoO, end of story.

the game is plainly the beta MOO, this is a known fact (if it's not, I'm to blame in part :) ), and it shows in every way. same techonlogies. same design. same goal. same races.

The game is not a beta of MoO either. It was being developed and was an entirely different game, when they stopped working on it, and then started working on MoO (and if I remember correctly, it never recieved release until the designer had it up on his site or something). They started over, with the same engine. Not a sequel. And the goal is to become the "Master of Orion"? Amazing how that is the goal, when it doesn't mention it at all... maybe because the game ISN'T SET IN THE MOO UNIVERSE AND THEREFORE, NOT A PREQUEL.

BTW it follows from your argument that "Quest for glory II: trials by fire" isn't a sequle to "Heros Quest: so you want to be a hero", since they are set in differnt worlds (one is of german folklore, the other is based on 1001 nights mythos), gameplay allso differs more than between MOO and SL.

Now, thats thinking. I'll agree, that game is named as a sequel, but of course, contains major alterations. Myself, I don't count it as a sequel, but I acknowledge the name is used for fans of the previous work. It is like Quake II. It was never going to be named Quake II, but they ended up using the name because all of their previous names were already copyrighted, so they had to resort to using the name Quake which turned out for the better as it drew in the fans of the previous game. Same with Final Fantasy, each of those games are different stories, but use the same name because it has name recognition. Without it, the series would be nothing. Think about it... who would have bought Final Fantasy (pick a number) if it wasn't named Final Fantasy. Same goes for the SWAT games... officially they are supposed to be sequels to Police Quest, but do not follow the adventures of Sonny Bonds and aren't set in the same universe, so they aren't sequels as such.

Disprove me, and I'll try to gather better arguments for the game in question (Star Lords, obviously).

Disprove you? Disprove me. As far as I can see, you haven't said anything that proves that Star Lords is a prequel to MoO. The developers calling it MoO0 as well doesn't mean anything unless they took the storyline from the game, and injected it into the MoO universe, which they haven't. Now, sure, I agree that it is a 'spiritual sequel'... but that is not what I am arguing. Same gameplay by the same guy, and a few loose concepts that many others have used also, and nothing else does not equate sequel.

Reply to this topic