2133 replies to this topic

#91 Havell

Havell

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 08:45 PM

If I come to a big figt that I have to do, I usually back off into a corner to limt the amount that can attack me.  In that case, when new monsters are being bred, I'd just run for it though.
IPB Image

#92 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 10:05 PM

The big open level is not scary at all when you'll finnaly realise that you can use stairs even when surrounded by ennemies. This mean that you can get in the room while using the "whimpy" status, get down again and bring down up to 8 ennemies then kill them all there, and redo the process until there is no ennemies left on the open level. Once done, locate the other stair ASAP and go thru it.

Unless you really pack a good punch or power, I don't recomend you to explore that level aimlessly.
"I am on a hot streak... Literally"

#93 Triton

Triton

Daily Denizen

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 10:16 PM

The puppy cave is worth 2000 on time and nothing if late if I remember correctly.  The big room in the PC is somewhat dangerous, and the non-vault area could be compared to ID:10 in difficulty.

When fighting groups, the best strategy is to retreat to the nearest corridor and fight there.  If you are flanked by a reasonably tough enemy in a corridor, cast a spell on it to kill it quickly.

The big room in the CoC is easy if you know what you're doing.  Walk in a zig-zag so that you record the maximum amount of tiles in the Big Room and thus find the down staircase more efficiently (unless the stairs were generated really close).  Maintain a defensive posture and avoid what you can't kill in one hit like the plague.  Keep an eye out for breeders/summoners and try to kill them as quickly as possible.

#94 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 06:28 AM

I'm going for a wizard approach now... What tactics do you have when you're running out of spells?
Also where do I find identify scrolls? There's no shop where I can buy stuff (T think). The blackmarket one is kind of expensive....

#95 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 09:40 AM

MdaG, on Sep 15 2005, 06:28 AM, said:

I'm going for a wizard approach now... What tactics do you have when you're running out of spells?
Also where do I find identify scrolls? There's no shop where I can buy stuff (T think). The blackmarket one is kind of expensive....
Use missiles. And train melee weapons as soon as it's safe to do so, because it's very dangerous to rely only on magic. You can get pretty far with it, but you'll be very dead as soon as you reach the mana temple.

About scrolls of identify, what I usually do is collect a couple of scrolls (ten or so) and then read one from the largest stack. It's nearly always either an uncursed scroll of darkness or an uncursed scroll of identify. Once you know what a scroll of identify looks like, bless the whole stack. If you already know what a scroll of identify looks like and only need to find some, you could go to the Infinite Dungeon for a while. Don't go too deep, though. Level 6 or so should do the trick. Pickpocketing will eventually give you a good amount of scrolls as well, but you'll need to train it first.

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#96 Triton

Triton

Daily Denizen

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 05:09 PM

MdaG, on Sep 15 2005, 02:28 AM, said:

Always fight melee as a Wizard, and save your bolt spells for large groups of monsters in a single line or difficult monsters.  Don't let the 50% longer melee training time scare you away from using melee weapons.

#97 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 06:19 AM

I'm still in the process of finding a playing style (or two) that fits me. Tell me about your preferred playing style :)

#98 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 11:23 AM

My playstyle usually go around some fighter of some sort. I always try to play magic users but fail miserably. That's why I like to play paladin and priests, since they can fight OK and still have acess to spells. Cold spell are vitals too since they allow you to pass rivers.

My best character ever was a High Elf Archer. He killed everything on his path until I descended to the Banshee level and died there. It was extremely confusing and I died very fast, that's when I learned that I should always examine the monsters when I go deep into the CoC since they are higher in level, and thus very more dangerous.

Nowaday, when I start up a char he/she usually always die in the CoC, immediatly after the Dwarven Town...

#99 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 12:57 PM

I'm currently headed for the CoC with my lvl 10 hurthling archer. I might read up on the available side quests and try one of them first though. I'm starting to get the hang of the Yrrigs quest, but I seldom finish the puppy dog quest on time, but I usually deliver the corpse.

#100 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 01:29 PM

If you didn't know this already, one of the best option before going below Dwarf Town is to go ask the Dwarf King about some "Quest"s... :)

#101 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 01:37 PM

my faveroute (not really most effective) char is a High Elf Priest. go straigt to the puppy cave... bring the stupid dog back, then do the druid quest kill hotzenplotz and become leader of the tjieves guild (if im strong enough by now). if i meet kranach by level 6 hes a goner if not well then he survives... then i go to the small cave through to that town in the mountains then i either enter the pyramide if im level 13 or higher... if not i go for the CoC.

on average my most effectice chars are troll priests ans berserkers born in the healing month with the healing traits :)

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#102 Triton

Triton

Daily Denizen

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 07:35 PM

I like playing as human archers, paladins, or mindcrafters, and once in a while as a trollish mindcrafter.  

One of my best characters was in fact a trollish mindcrafter, and I've found that the difficulty is VERY overrated.  The only drawback is that trolls require a lot of experience to advance, but by level 10 they are walking tanks anyway.  Food is not a problem if you get Food Preservation to 100 as soon as possible (though 50 isn't bad), and if you get a high enough herbalism skill level, the Big Room is your buffet once you control it, assuming that the herbs were not destroyed beyond recovery.  If you can control the Big Room or have a reliable source of herbs, eat Claw Bug and variants whenever you can for the Agility bonus; the herbs will make up for the Willpower loss.

#103 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 08:46 PM

Towards the end you need to gain levels, though, and that can be a real pain with a troll. A troll usually has to do the blue dragon caves because otherwise he wouldn't be experienced enough to survive the rest of the game.

#104 Triton

Triton

Daily Denizen

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 09:10 PM

There is no reason NOT to do the Blue Dragon caves with any character.  Trolls should also ignore the restriction on killing cats, as the Cat Lord is good for a few million experience, which is worth more than the quest points and the RotMC.

#105 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 09:40 PM

There are very good reasons not to do the blue dragon caves, actually: they're dangerous and highly corrupting, and even if you happen to be immune to lightning, valuable equipment can still be destroyed.
The cat lord is indeed worth a lot of experience points, but if you slaughtered every cat you met along the way and didn't at least try to avoid them if possible, he's going to be extremely tough and your character might never live to get all that XP.

Reply to this topic