82 replies to this topic

#1 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 02:47 PM

The first hurricane to hit Florida this season is on its way as I type this, whee.

Just so you guys know, they're expecting this year to be as bad as last year, possibly worse. If you don't realize how this is an issue, consider that I was without power for about a month last year. It was good to still be alive, but imagine being without power for a month.

Here's what we went through last year:

Posted Image

Charley.

Posted Image

Frances.

Posted Image

Ivan.

Posted Image

Jeanne.

Wheee.

Wish me luck this year  :)

By the by, it's my belief that every region has something like this they deal with, be it hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, tsunamis, etc. I'm a bit curious what sort of natural disasters you guys are used to dealing with, if any.
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#2 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 02:55 PM

The worst disaster I've suffered so far was a -33 degrees Celsius temperature... I think we're spoiled in Sweden.

#3 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 02:56 PM

In Norway?! :)

Uhm... I guess the shops being closed on Sundays, is the closest to a natural disaster I will ever come.

Yo!

#4 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 02:58 PM

Last year had -42 degrees celsisus, and then add in the windchill factor :), last bad disaster that happened where I live was this huge rain storm last year, flooded a bit of the backyard where I lived, and some of the streets too, my basement also got a bit soaked too, lots of water.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#5 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 03:00 PM

Tom Henrik, on Jul 9 2005, 02:56 PM, said:

In Norway?! :)

Uhm... I guess the shops being closed on Sundays, is the closest to a natural disaster I will ever come.
Living in Scandinavia rules! :-)

#6 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 03:02 PM

I'm gonna go with the humidity in Denmark as the worst natural disaster I've experienced. I can't take much more of this heat. :)

We do have storms once in a while, but nothing that even comes close to what you get in Florida.
Furthermore, it is my opinion that Carthage must be destroyed.

#7 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 03:24 PM

We do have storms once in a while, but nothing that even comes close to what you get in Florida.
Same here.
There's not really any common natural disaster in the Netherlands. The worst thing that can happen around here is a flood of some kind, but those aren't that common.

Guess we're spoiled too. We don't even have to put up with the cold.

Wonderfull sig and avvie by Taikara :D

#8 Kon-Tiki

Kon-Tiki

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 03:25 PM

When it gets over 25°C in Belgium, the heat'll press down on people, as there's not enough humidity and oxygen in the air then to make it bearable. No big deal, but it's the closest it gets there. Oh, and we regularly have floods. That is, from German and Holland tourists :)

#9 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 05:41 PM

Does a flooded Glastonbury festival count? PrejudiceSucks might get a bit of flooding in York, like that pub that ends up partially submerged several times every winter, but that's about it.

oh wait, I spoke too soon - there seems to be a volcano erupting outside my window. gotta go!
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#10 Himmler

Himmler

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 05:49 PM

I gotta tell you...I don't know what's wrong with this planet...In the last 3 months (more or less) Romania got flooded in many different sides of the country...and many bridges have fallen down(cheap materials)

#11 Puffin

Puffin

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 06:22 PM

We have avalanches, volcanic eruptions and dirt floods from the mountains. And german tourists. Not to mention the yankees.
user posted image
©Kiddiarni

#12 Himmler

Himmler

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 06:32 PM

This topic shows that the world is falling appart  :)

#13 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 06:41 PM

Yeah, we get a fair bit of flooding. Nothing like 2001 floods though (I think it was 2001, all of the years sort of meld into one), they were mental.

Hmm well it gets too bloody humid here in summer. That's about it. Oh and it was 11 degrees here about 3 weeks ago. That's 11 degrees in June, of all the times in the world.

Oh and Ascot. But that's a man-made disaster :)

#14 Himmler

Himmler

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 06:44 PM

After the winter, that lasted 'till the end of the spring, adn after the spring came the summer...at least it should of...but I think I saw just 5 days without a rain...it's like I moved to the tropics...I hate it! :)

#15 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 06:48 PM

heh... yeah in germany bout the worst thing that can happen is...ummm... i cant even think of anything sarcastic to say :)

i guess the humidity would be one.

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2