50 replies to this topic

#16 Moogle

Moogle

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1035 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 05:50 AM

fruit    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (frt)
n. pl. fruit or fruits

The ripened ovary or ovaries of a seed-bearing plant, together with accessory parts, containing the seeds and occurring in a wide variety of forms.
An edible, usually sweet and fleshy form of such a structure.
A part or an amount of such a plant product, served as food: fruit for dessert.
The fertile, often spore-bearing structure of a plant that does not bear seeds.
A plant crop or product: the fruits of the earth.
Result; outcome: the fruit of their labor.
Offspring; progeny.
A fruity aroma or flavor in a wine.
Offensive Slang. Used as a disparaging term for a homosexual man.

And as if Sin City and Hellboy isn't borring and cliche? Zomg bad cops! Zomg demons! And how is it lazy? I guess that you have had some experience drawing / animating this "lazy" art?

And theres a *meep*load of acutal anime out there besides all the normal junk thats broadcast in the US which everybody seems to watch, so darn sick of hearing about Naruto, wow ok whatever, watch something better please...hehehehe, and on another note, I don't see how anime is cliche and lazy but Doom is an OK movie where it has the simmplest story possible, heres soe zombie type things, go shot them, and with the "zombies" being poorly animate people with edsheets over their heads.

And no, I'm not gay, I don't have a problem with the concept of it, butwould rather not be referred to by that term, if you mean it as literally fruit call me apple or something, you know damn well what the word meant.

#17 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 06:37 AM

View PostBlood-Pigggy, on Jun 10 2006, 02:20 AM, said:

...cliched and boring, it's tired...
That's true. And I've seen some too. But so is Sin City, though I have to admit I like it much more. It's still not only about is it cliched, but how well done and I still haven't found (though I haven't been searching for) anime that I could really call good and recommend to somebody (except perhaps my worst enemies - but that might be too cruel :( ). So, civilize us and recommend some really great anime and let's see if we can find it and thus rate it.
...70 years... LOL

#18 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 03:03 PM

Definitely can say not all the anime you see on tv is the perfect example of the genre, it's exactly like music not all the best music is on tv, hardly you have to dig around, as for Sin City, have to say it's probably one of the best comic to movie conversitions out there, can't wait for the sequel. :(

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#19 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 05:24 PM

Zomg bad cops! Zomg demons! And how is it lazy? I guess that you have had some experience drawing / animating this "lazy" art?

Uh, that's not what Hellboy is about.
Tell me if this is cliche.

Hitler was crazy okay? He wanted to find all these holy relics and such nonsense a a secret side project in the war. Now one of these relics just happened to be a portal to hell. After an unsuccesful attempt to open the portal (they get stopped by some American and British dudes) the only thing that managed to get through was Hellboy, still a little baby demon.
One of the witnesses (a war journalist) takes Hellboy and raises him as a son. Unfortunatly, the US government doesn't want people freaking about this red dude, so they keep him in a secret facility and all that nada. But it isn't about fighting "demons" it's basicly Ghostbusters with a demon, and a few other freaks. It has some of the weirdest storylines, situations, and plots.

And you have obviously NEVER read any Sin City comic book. It's not about "bad cops" it's about people IN Sin City, it's just about the City itself, not any person exactly.
Even if you watch the movie, or read "That Yellow Bastard" you can tell that it isn't like anything else.

Oh, and anime is lazy, if you haven't notice, anime production is like a giant sweatshop, of dudes just drawing. In fact, it took them so long to do it, that they sped it up by adding those stupid background effects, the looping mouth movements, and the uneven animation.
Unfortunatly, there are VERY few people that actually say "this is BS" and try to make a properly animated film.
Some good examples of anime that does anything right could be "Spirited Away" or "Ghost In The Shell".

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#20 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 05:35 PM

sin city the movie seems to want to show that everything bad that happens is because of a women :(

in passive and direct ways

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#21 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 05:35 PM

But that's the truth? :(
...70 years... LOL

#22 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 05:36 PM

No offense Pigggy, but I'm going to have to say that you seem to know just as much about anime as you say Moogle knows about Hellboy and Sin City.

Like any other form of entertainment, some of it is crap, and some of it is unbelievably good.

In the higher eschelons of anime production, it is in no way "lazy" - it is an art form. What most Americans typically equate with "anime" is the rather lame, edited productions that are played on American television, which is mostly commercial, and incredibly poor examples of the form.

The ones you quoted as being decent, Ghost in the Shell and Spirited Away, are a definitely few examples of good anime (and a couple of the more "popular" animes in the US, but are also not the best you could find, either, if you actually look at what ISN'T commercialized in the US.

It's not that there's VERY few people who make "proper" animated films, it's just that there's few people who have done so that you've actually heard of.
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#23 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 06:36 PM

Would Ninjai qualify as Anime? Not sure about that one.

Yo!

#24 Moogle

Moogle

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1035 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:38 PM

View Posttaikara, on Jun 10 2006, 05:36 PM, said:

No offense Pigggy, but I'm going to have to say that you seem to know just as much about anime as you say Moogle knows about Hellboy and Sin City.

Like any other form of entertainment, some of it is crap, and some of it is unbelievably good.

In the higher eschelons of anime production, it is in no way "lazy" - it is an art form. What most Americans typically equate with "anime" is the rather lame, edited productions that are played on American television, which is mostly commercial, and incredibly poor examples of the form.

The ones you quoted as being decent, Ghost in the Shell and Spirited Away, are a definitely few examples of good anime (and a couple of the more "popular" animes in the US, but are also not the best you could find, either, if you actually look at what ISN'T commercialized in the US.

It's not that there's VERY few people who make "proper" animated films, it's just that there's few people who have done so that you've actually heard of.
What she said about the US commercial part.
And for the record, I own Hellboy, its an OK movie, but you can't honestly say its not cliche, and I've seen some of Sin City, bout 1/2, Elijah wood and Bruce Willis were cool, and then I got bored and stopped, and I've read most of the comics books, but didn't really care for the art style, especially the yellow guy (hes the mayor's sun right? My friends into Frank Millar a lot more than me) he was a bit creepy and I dunno, I don't really care for people chopping peoples *meeps* off.

An I've never seen Ninjai Tom >.> Tai, seen Shuffle!, Fate / Stay night, or Rozen Maiden?

And I know that the Sin City books / movie isn't about the cops, but what I meant was that its the whole "a corrupt city" n all that stuff that seems to be in a lot of movies, it even says it in the title.

#25 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:43 PM

It's a noir title, get with it.

And I'm talking about the GRAPHIC NOVELS, the Hellboy movie sucked anus.  :(

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#26 Moogle

Moogle

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1035 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:48 PM

*shrugs*
Dun care for that stuff that much.
People getting chopped in half is one thing, people getting THAT cut off is another.

And why are we talking about novels when we're talking about anime? :(

#27 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:53 PM

Comics, you mean. "Graphic novels" are comics for grown-ups.:(

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#28 Moogle

Moogle

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1035 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:55 PM

Ummm, no, I'd say Sin City deserves the "graphic novel" title if anything.

But, Alan Moore > all.

#29 Sean

Sean

Just call me Mr. Magic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1265 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 08:51 PM

I dislike anime, to be fair I've watched very little but I've seen examples of both the culture and community as well as the art style and have decided it's not something that appeals to me.
Me>You

#30 Moogle

Moogle

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1035 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 11:30 PM

Everyone was kung fu fightinggggg
^^

Thats cool. Yeah, some of its messed up...a certain "catagory" (spelling) of anime is really....really..messed up >.> But, some of its good as tai said, depends on what you like I suppose.

And, for the "give us some good anime" :( heres some that I liked at least, not gonna bother with the rating thing cause as I said all depends on interests, and I find it rather silly... sooo

Shuffle! (school life commedy)
Hellsing (yeah yeah, cliche or w/e but I stil thought it was entertaining
Fate / stay night (some gore)
And a couple that I haven't seen yet but have heard are good...
Green Green TV (school life commedy)
Bleach (I unno, I don't really care, but a lot of people say its good...)
Naruto (most liked in the US, haven't seen, there are like 100+ episodes, and make sure you watch the japanese version with fansubs not the US version.)
Ouran High School Host Club (friend says its good)