#16 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 05:36 PM

DakaSha, on Nov 28 2005, 05:00 PM, said:

(heh... aint that a shocker huh raffles? LOL)
Erm, what exactly did that refer to?:blink:

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#17 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 05:43 PM

my ability to take criticism without blowing up in the persons face :blink:

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#18 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 06:24 PM

DakaSha, on Nov 28 2005, 05:43 PM, said:

my ability to take criticism without blowing up in the persons face ;)
I've never doubted that you could do that, have I?:blink:

Actually, review-wise this is a bit rough - it does read as if it had been written in a hurry.LOL But the game still looks interesting. One silly question, though: will I like it if I've never played any of the original Doom games?

#19 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 06:27 PM

hmm... wont be the same thing but the music and sounds are really cool.

like i said up there i really dont think people that are used to ADoM are going to fall in love with this... no races, no classes, no skills and only a couple "perks" to select at each level up... it just isnt as hard-core as ADoM is.

id still try it though just to see how cool the sounds are... i mean its a small download and all you have to do is unzip it.

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#20 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 08:58 PM

NOTHING will ever be as good as ADOM - unless a miracle happens and we live to see Jade finished.:blink:
Anyway, I found a fairly interesting-looking site about DoomRL: http://doomwiki.chao...x.php/Main_Page - still rather new, but as far as I can tell it looks promising.

#21 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 10:06 AM

Oops. I only just noticed that site is linked to from the main site.:blink: Well, never mind.
I tried it, and it seems nice enough, but it doesn't really feel like a roguelike, more like an ASCII shooter. Not bad, but there's a reason why I never really got into those type of games...

By the way, does the game end at some point or is it just about diving deeper and killing more monsters? Don't tell me there's an Amulet of Yendor at the bottom of the labyrinth. LOL

#22 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 10:50 AM

A. J. Raffles, on Nov 30 2005, 10:06 AM, said:

I tried it, and it seems nice enough, but it doesn't really feel like a roguelike, more like an ASCII shooter.
thats what i meant

Posted Image

#23 Svlad

Svlad

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 06:49 PM

The game ends on level 30.  You fight a cyberdemon.

Haven't been there yet, I'll get around to playing it again eventually.. I went and read the forums because I was wondering too :blink:

#24 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 07:49 AM

Gah! None of my characters live to reach level 2.:blink:

#25 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 10:50 AM

dont forget to use the medipacks

Posted Image

#26 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 11:13 AM

DakaSha, on Dec 1 2005, 10:50 AM, said:

dont forget to use the medipacks
Oh, that's WITH using the medipacks. How many kills do you need for level 2?

#27 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 11:14 AM

not that many. its more than ADoM i think but it shouldnt be all that hard. just take your time

Posted Image

#28 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 11:23 AM

DakaSha, on Dec 1 2005, 11:14 AM, said:

not that many. its more than ADoM i think but it shouldnt be all that hard. just take your time
Kind of hard to take your time if you keep getting shot at, though. Do the monsters respawn or will a level remain empty once you've cleared it?

#29 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 11:28 AM

they remain empty.

just try to always go 1 on 1... of course sometimes your going to run across a couple more monsters but never go against more than 1 creature if you can help it. also dont forget that the shotguns are great for clearing out rooms of multiple enemys. barrels also do wonders.

whats a real pain at first is remembering to not only load but also to *rooster* the shotgun... so always load the gun to the max when your not in battle and alot of times its worth running from an enemy to *rooster* the gun in a place he cant see you

Posted Image

#30 Svlad

Svlad

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:37 PM

Playing again..

I read on their forums that the trait that increases sight range is hugely powerful.

They're right, it is.  Monster AI is broken; you can often take shots at a monster at the edge of sight without any danger of retaliation.

I managed to make it to level 8, then I died of hitting the wrong key.  Don't ask..

The Combat Shotgun is, until you get the rocket launcher or the plasma weapons, THE gun.  There are no other weapons.  The Chaingun is simply inferior in every way, and the load time on the Double Shotgun removes it from consideration.  

Incidentally, when using the Combat Shotgun, if you opt to stand still and reload instead of moving, it takes less time.  Monsters will often be unable to move in that amount of time, so you can often get off multiple shots between monster actions.

Even when they fix the sight range boost AI issues, proper use of the Combat Shotgun will make the first few levels fairly doable.

One of these days I'll sit down and spend too much time thinking about ADOM. :blink:

Reply to this topic