DeathDude's Content

There have been 344 items by DeathDude (Search limited from 27-September 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#55308 Introduce Yourself

Posted by DeathDude on 27 October 2007 - 10:48 PM in Forum Guidelines

Hey Sylvester. :unsure: Welcome to AR and hope you enjoy your stay here.

#51028 Introduce Yourself

Posted by DeathDude on 23 June 2007 - 10:00 PM in Forum Guidelines

Heys Dan, welcomes to AR dude. :shrug:

#54536 Introduce Yourself

Posted by DeathDude on 04 October 2007 - 01:28 PM in Forum Guidelines

Welcome to AR Thebes. ;)

#50458 Tai's Reloaded Contributions

Posted by DeathDude on 01 June 2007 - 12:38 AM in Community Contests, Games, and Role Playing

Congrats on the As Tai, awesome job, knew ya would score high.  ;)

I remember ya sending me that piccie on msn too, aways back and like said before, think it looks really good, and just quite unique, very nifty work.  :P

#56349 Recent Movie/music Buys

Posted by DeathDude on 15 November 2007 - 05:42 AM in Community Contests, Games, and Role Playing

Spock's Beard - Snow If there has been an album that has impressed me so much about a band that I am starting to get into, this is that album and this album alone is one of the top listens for me this year. Let me break it down, this is a two disc concept album, thats right a two disc concept album, how many bands do you know can put out two discs of solid content from start to finish. Many albums can do one album of an idea, but two, I cannot think of any atm that have accomplished such a feat. Well Spock's Beard have, by blending in solid progressive rock, that will please any fan of the genre. It is quite a shame that I just recently discovered this band in the last year, considering this album originally was a three disc offer, with a bonus disc of demos and live material, but nevertheless I highly recommend this album to any progressive rock fan or even any fan of rock period, you will not be disappointed, bank on it.

#56092 Recent Movie/music Buys

Posted by DeathDude on 08 November 2007 - 11:29 PM in Community Contests, Games, and Role Playing

King's X - Live All Over The Place If there is a definitive band that excels live, King's X fits into this category. Every opinion that I have seen from naysayers to people who loved the band, always have a good opinion after they see a King's X show live and from the live clips I've seen and this CD, its damn true. This is a two disc live album, with the first CD containing a wide variety of tracks and disc 2 is about half acoustic and after that the band finishes up with some more tracks, honestly a superb album and definite pick up for any fan of the band.

#56699 Recent Movie/music Buys

Posted by DeathDude on 24 November 2007 - 05:35 PM in Community Contests, Games, and Role Playing

Primal Fear - New Religion Although I haven't been the hugest fan of this band, mainly because some of their past releases have been just cliche power metal with a bit of a heavy metal edge, when I heard some of the samples for the album, plus saw the music vid I knew I wanted to check it out. To my luck, I managed to snag a copy here, even though it is not supposed to be released in NA until 2008, crazy, anyways solid album from these guys. Ralf continues to prove how he is essentially a Rob Halford clone, they brought back one of their older guitarists, who gave them a more thrashier edge, and overall the album is definitely more leaning towards the heavy metal style of playing with some power metal sprinkled in, nice work from these guys. :D

#55319 Recent Movie/music Buys

Posted by DeathDude on 27 October 2007 - 11:34 PM in Community Contests, Games, and Role Playing

View PostBlood-Pigggy, on Oct 27 2007, 05:25 PM, said:

Best Of collections make Pigggy cry.

Before the popularization of digital music and MP3 players, I used to think this was a ploy by record companies to force people to buy more discs to get their favorite songs on one disc. But now they just seem to exist for collection completion purposes when it comes to fans. Who wins?  :unsure:

Forgot to mention that I bought the Creedence Clearwater Revival: Best Of collection.

Wells personally I still believe that it is a ploy by record companies who release compilations so that they can get the quick buck. :roflol: A Lot of the times, bands and artists do not put out compilatoins, it is usually 4/5 times the record label (most times their older label) who puts it out in order to make some money off of the band. At times, some labels will ask bands for input into making a list, which is great, but you do not see that often, which is a shame.

I think only The Essential series of compilation discs, does a good job in most cases of picking good tracklists and listening to fans to see which songs should go on their albums (See The Essential Alice in Chains)

Ooh though on Creedence, nice pickup, definitely an amazing band, I used to have one of their old compilation tapes, which was so awesome, but I lost it somehow, gotta pick one up, one of these days to replace it.

#57187 Recent Movie/music Buys

Posted by DeathDude on 07 December 2007 - 05:25 PM in Community Contests, Games, and Role Playing

Bret "Hit Man" Hart: The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be - I've been picking up a few wrestling documentaries here and there the last while, and picked this up a week ago, watched it awhile back and what can I say, an awesome all around documentary, it was also great to see that Bret has patched things up with the WWE, as you get a ton of footage of Bret talking about his early days, time in the WWF and whatnot, 3 discs total, and a bunch of great matches Bret chose, probably so far one of the best Wrestling documentaries on a wrestler have seen, very informative and very interesting.

#59128 Recent Movie/music Buys

Posted by DeathDude on 17 February 2008 - 12:34 AM in Community Contests, Games, and Role Playing

Gamma Ray - Land of the Free Part 2, I was really looking forward to this album and was also hoping that the band would not end up screwing it up, as some bands do whenever they do a sequel to a classic album like Land of the Free and needless to say it didn't happen this time around either, its a solid effort by these German rockers, with a lot of catchy numbers and solid power metal all around, its a relief since the trend nowadays among power metal bands it seems is to sell out, its happening more and more. At least Gamma Ray is still not in that group yet.

#58166 Recent Movie/music Buys

Posted by DeathDude on 05 January 2008 - 11:16 PM in Community Contests, Games, and Role Playing

Savatage - Streets: A Rock Opera Picked this album up a few weeks ago, this is the second album after their last one, which really propelled them to be a household name, the story is pretty intriguing, nothing spectacular but its not bad at the same time, more solid work by Criss Olivia on guitar, what an amazing talent, shame that the next album which I posted about earlier was is last album, overall a solid album for an progressive/heavy metal fans.

#57822 Recent Movie/music Buys

Posted by DeathDude on 26 December 2007 - 04:26 AM in Community Contests, Games, and Role Playing

Spock's Beard - Day For Night Picked this CD up last week, and practically forgot that this CD along with the other two Spock Beard Albums that I owned V, and Snow, were recently reissued with some bonus demo tracks. Well besides the fact that Day For Night is hard to find for some reason. So I picked up this reissue and its a pretty good cd overall. A lot more mellower than both V and Snow but still has some charming tracks here and there, still quite progressive and a great listen for anyone looking for some mellow progressive rock.

#57243 Recent Movie/music Buys

Posted by DeathDude on 08 December 2007 - 05:56 PM in Community Contests, Games, and Role Playing

Glad to hear that ya love the show Beef. :P It is a fantastic show and yeah Pickles is also one of my favs, along with Toki at times. Haven't had a chance to pick up the album yet, but with the songs from the show, imagine its a great listen to take with you from place to place, can't wait for season 2 to come out next year.

#55311 Recent Movie/music Buys

Posted by DeathDude on 27 October 2007 - 10:51 PM in Community Contests, Games, and Role Playing

Fates Warning - No Exit (25th Anniversary Reissue) with Bonus DVD - Its a bit of a misleading title, the CD itself is not 25 years old, but the record label Metal Blade is, so as a result of this the label rereleased this album from Fates Warning and remastered it as well. This is the first album the band did with their new singer Ray Adler, and it really is quite the heavy album all around, really enjoy it, especially the 25 min epic song. The CD also came with 3 demo tracks and a bonus dvd with a documentary, music vids, and some live clips too, all this for 20 bucks what a deal.  :unsure:

#54817 Recent Movie/music Buys

Posted by DeathDude on 14 October 2007 - 12:39 AM in Community Contests, Games, and Role Playing

Alice in Chains - MTV Unplugged - I always happen to here that this MTV Unplugged episode with Alice in Chains was one of the best in the 90's and after hearing the album, I'm not surprised at all. I used to be skeptical with the amount of praise that was being thrown around, but damn its that good. My version, which was just recently rereleased comes with 2 bonus audio tracks not included on the original cd and the dvd of the show as well. If you like unplugged types of show, you definitely have to see this one.

#52346 Recent Movie/music Buys

Posted by DeathDude on 11 August 2007 - 12:57 AM in Community Contests, Games, and Role Playing

Porcupine Tree - Up the Downstair Picked this up yesterday, haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. This is very early material from Steven Wilson, before he actually had a band, so most of the material was done by him, including the drums which were electronically produced for this album. But the version I have is the 2004 remaster, which besides better production soundwise, also includes real drums done by Porcupine Trees current drummer Gavin Harrison.

#51904 Recent Movie/music Buys

Posted by DeathDude on 26 July 2007 - 08:31 PM in Community Contests, Games, and Role Playing

Spock's Beard - V More progressive rock goodness, recognized as the other top prog rock bands to come out in the 90's, along with Porcupine Tree, this is a great album, only 6 tracks, but considering that track one is 16 mins and track 6 is 27 mins, you can understand why. The music is more poppish so in the style of Genesis and even a bit of the Beatles, great album to pick up for any first timer who wants to listen to this band (along with Snow, which have yet to pick up) if your a progressive rock fan, you need to check this out.

#51781 Recent Movie/music Buys

Posted by DeathDude on 21 July 2007 - 01:03 AM in Community Contests, Games, and Role Playing

Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream Another fantastic Porcupine Tree release, this is a lot different than the other two albums I own by them. This is definitely leaning towards a more poppish direction, but still plenty of good progressive rock goodness, also my edition comes with a 5.1 mix and high resolution 24 bit stereo mix, with a few extra tracks included in the 5.1 mix, a definite fantastic pickup and superb album from the mastermind of Steven Wilson.

#51473 Recent Movie/music Buys

Posted by DeathDude on 09 July 2007 - 12:05 AM in Community Contests, Games, and Role Playing

Symphony X - Paradise Lost Taking some ideas from the John Milton book, wells mostly themes I would say, as this is not a concept album off the story or anything. Nevertheless this is a heavy album, which is uncharacteristic of Symphony X, so perhaps this is the new direction they may be taking. I like this album in certain parts, while others don't do it for me yet, its a good album, a bit different than what I was expecting, but still a solid album from these guys nevertheless.

#53121 Recent Movie/music Buys

Posted by DeathDude on 28 August 2007 - 08:48 PM in Community Contests, Games, and Role Playing

King's X - Dogman Surprise, surprise another album by these guys, what can I say, they are a fantastic underrated group and this album is considered to be one of their best. Released in 1994, the interesting thing about this album is that it came in 4 different colours. Green, Red, Blue and Yellow, google the name of the album and you'll see what I mean, nothing spectacular but unique nevertheless, its a shame that there is not really much else from these guys around here to buy, but will definitely be scouring amazon for some more of their material.

#53532 Recent Movie/music Buys

Posted by DeathDude on 07 September 2007 - 05:07 PM in Community Contests, Games, and Role Playing

The Essential Alice in Chains - Something really different from my usual norm of music. This has been a band I knew a little about back in the day but never really explored beyond that, it was just chance that I stumbled upon a few tracks recently by them and I was hooked, so I picked up the 2 disc essential Alice in Chains and wow its just awesome all around. Besides the fact that this is recognized by a lot of Alice in Chains fan as being the complation album to own, just loving the material. While Alice in Chains are recognized as a Grunge band, they were one of the few that really had a different style, more heavier with some of the music, but still retaining much of what made them who they are. Really enjoying the material and glad I finally am listening to this band, next band from that era I will be checking out, Soundgarden.

#50756 Recent Movie/music Buys

Posted by DeathDude on 15 June 2007 - 09:24 PM in Community Contests, Games, and Role Playing

Kamelot - Ghost Opera Finally got a copy of this gem, that I have been waiting for since June 5th, when it didn't arrive at the store I was looking, dang distribution, but finally listened to it and got the special limited edition, with a bonus dvd, bonus track and making of their song "Ghost Opera", overall a really good album that am enjoying. Think it will continue to grow on me, not sure it ranks as high as their last album The Black Halo, but definitely close.

#54031 Recent Movie/music Buys

Posted by DeathDude on 24 September 2007 - 03:56 AM in Community Contests, Games, and Role Playing

Fates Warning - Parallels Finally picked up an album by this band, also known as one of the other pioneers of the early progressive metal sound alongside queensryche, but whereas Queensryche would eventually turn into a big time band, Fates Warning wouldn't be as successful unfortunately, and its a damn shame, although this album is from 1991, its just superb all around, another underrated band that deserves more attention.

#53625 Recent Movie/music Buys

Posted by DeathDude on 10 September 2007 - 01:35 PM in Community Contests, Games, and Role Playing

Queensryche- Sign of the Times (Best of Collection) 2 Disc - Wells its been a long while since I bought anything from these guys, but their former label recently came out with another "best of" collection. This time around there is a one disc and two disc edition. The one disc is just a best of collection, while the more pricer two disc edition contains the best of collection and a 2nd disc of demos, unreleased tracks, and a whole new track written by their former guitarist Chris Degarmo called Justified, mostly picked this up just to hear the demos and such morethan the best of stuff.

#50545 Recent Movie/music Buys

Posted by DeathDude on 06 June 2007 - 01:00 AM in Community Contests, Games, and Role Playing

Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos Finally the day has come, been eagerly anticipating this album, along with Kamelot's new album, Devin Townsends and to a lesser extent Sonata Arcticas (Unfortunately of the 4, this was the only one that managed to make it to the place where I went to buy it, what luck. ;))

Anyways I was really hoping that the guys of Dream Theater could pull off something big, and they did it, I've listened to the album twice and already its grown on me, every track on the album seems to fit in nicely, this is a stellar album from them, and glad they managed to really put out an album for the ages, superb work by the guys. :P This is definitely going to be in my top 3 favourite Dream Theater albums, also the bonus dvd on the making of the disc and a 5.1 mix of the album, all for 15.99, made this a well worth it purchase.